Retribution Gemming

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Retribution Gemming

Postby Ironshield » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:40 am

I've been trying to sort out my Ret Set recently and the gemming guides and Ask Mr Robot all say prioritize haste over strength in gems. But I can't for the life of me figure out why. Str is still ret's primary stat right? Are gems less generous for primary over secondary stats? Since we can't reforge to strength the only way to add it is gems and enchants, shouldn't we take that?
Ironshield

Re: Retribution Gemming

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:57 am

If I remember correctly, you get 1.5x secondary stats as you do primary stats on gems. In which case if your stat weights are set up so that 1.5 haste is better than 1 str, then it'll pick haste as the gem choice.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:48 am

Ask mr Robot stat weight for Rets -

Str = 3.52
Haste = 1.93

Haste gem = 1.93*320 = 617.6
Strength gem 3.52*160 = 563.2

Strength is still Ret's best stat, nearly double that of haste but as secondary stat itemisation on gems is doubled, haste wins for gemming.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:05 am

Skye1013 wrote:If I remember correctly, you get 1.5x secondary stats as you do primary stats on gems. In which case if your stat weights are set up so that 1.5 haste is better than 1 str, then it'll pick haste as the gem choice.

Its 1 Primary to 1.5 stamina, to 2 secondary for gems.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Gab » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:42 am

You'll have to sim it to get an accurate idea of how you personally should be gemming at your gear level.

When you start collecting enough gear haste will overtake strength. Weapon, tier bonus and talent choice play a large factor in strength vs haste weights. For example haste is usually going to be a little more valuable if you are taking HA instead of SW.

In dungeon heroic gear simc showed strength being a significantly higher contributor to dps but now that I am ~495 ilvl with a 496 shin'ka/gem haste has overtaken strength. I believe my weights are now something like haste = 1.6 and strength = 3.12. So a haste gem = 512 (320*1.6) and a strength gem = 499 (160*3.12).

Edit: Current weights for my gear (496 ilvl, 496 weapon, Sanctified Wrath no 2/4 pc bonus)

In heroic blues it was more like str = 2.8 and haste = 1.2. Strength increases in value but not nearly as quickly as haste for most circumstances. HA will favor haste even further as will 2/4 pc I imagine.
Last edited by Gab on Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gab

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:56 pm

Nooska wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:If I remember correctly, you get 1.5x secondary stats as you do primary stats on gems. In which case if your stat weights are set up so that 1.5 haste is better than 1 str, then it'll pick haste as the gem choice.

Its 1 Primary to 1.5 stamina, to 2 secondary for gems.

So I was on the right track, I just had the wrong numbers :D
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Levantine » Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Generally once you hit raid gear haste in yellow, str/haste in red and hit/haste in blue, before then the str alternatives. I gem haste because it's cheaper, I'm lazy and I'm only slightly below the transition point anyway.
Levantine

Postby Thels » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:35 am

Levantine wrote:Generally once you hit raid gear haste in yellow, str/haste in red and hit/haste in blue, before then the str alternatives. I gem haste because it's cheaper, I'm lazy and I'm only slightly below the transition point anyway.
Note that if you don't have Expertise coming out of your ears and nose, gemming Expertise/Haste in red slots and reforging away from Expertise would be slightly more advantageous.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes