Prot haste/mastrey or ret gear?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Prot haste/mastrey or ret gear?

Postby Cinuz » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:56 am

Okay first of all Hi

I´ve been playing prot since mid Worlk and this gotta be the first time I got a problem.
I´m curentlly going for the control/haste but with prot gear. As i have noticed the only
thing this gives me is a 160haste/his gem du to the fact that all reforge go to hit/exp.
And so I was thinking that I might be better of just going for mastery instead.

In my prot gear i have 488 ilvl but I also have a ret set with ilvl 487 (http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ravencrest/C%C3%ADnuz/advanced)
Due to the fact that there is a few fights that only requiers 1 tank I´m the one going dps.

So my question is should I just stay tank in my tankgear / go mastery or Should I build a
new gear set with the ret gear and ask the guild for new ret gear to skip having to regem
and reforge the whole time?

// Cínuz
Cinuz

Re: Prot haste/mastrey or ret gear?

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:41 am

Pretty sure changing trinkets would need to be done for switching to ret, stamina is a bit of a waste, same goes for the few items you enchant with + Sta, the rest of it is probably fine.
Lastwolf

Postby Cinuz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:56 am

Well ofc I won´t be going with stam trinkets http://www.wowhead.com/item=86144 and http://www.wowhead.com/item=86336.
But the question is should I go tank in my dps gear and ask for more dubble of every piece to have one ret and one prot set or if i just should have my prot gear
and then go full mastery.
Cinuz

Postby daishan » Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:18 am

It depends a lot on how often you need to go ret and to some extent how good that ret spec needs to be. I only go ret for ZorLok and Wind lord normal neither of those bosses are dps checks for my guild so I mostly keep my tank gear on that does mean I have 10% exp, but me doing +/- 10k dps just doesn't matter.
Why are you thinking of going mast instead of haste on your tank set? They're both viable and if you raid 10 man I'd make a good case for haste been better. You might not be able to stack much haste yet with having hit/exp caps to hit, but you'll not be able to stack much mast either until you have more gear.
One last thing what do you mean by ask for more gear? I wouldn't take a 2nd of the same bit of gear if any ones ms needs, if it's there os against your os who goes dps more often?
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Cinuz » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 am

The thing is that it´s only me and another paladin that is ret ms rolling for the gear.

what i mean about taking more gear is having one set of ret gear with tank gemming and reforging instead of the the prot gear and then one set of ret gear with dps gemming and regoring just si dont have too regorge/regem before every fight.

Or if i just stay prot with real prot gear instead of ret gear. To be honest I don´t really know what I gain the most of.
And for our setup I go ret on Spirit Kings, and 1st and 4th in HoF. The thing with our guild is that we accually need the dps :P

Mastrey instead of haste I dont really know was thing that I might not benefit from haste as much as I would do with mastrey in my prot gear because the amount of haste i get right now is only 120 from a gem.
Cinuz

Postby Thels » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:13 pm

The way I do it is taking the best available items for my tanking set, even if that's an occasional Crit item because I've been very unlucky with drops for that slot. (Currently using a Crit cloak and ring in my tanking set.) I gem/enchant/reforge them for my tank set, regardless on if I need to use that piece for DPS as well.

Then I look at my leftover gear, and for each slot I check if the leftover piece with DPS gem/enchant/reforge is better than the good piece with tank gem/enchant/reforge. If not, I use the tank piece with the tank gem/enchant/reforge in my DPS set. By using at least a couple of leftover pieces in my ret set, which I can gem and reforge away from expertise, I'm quite ok in my DPS gear, and manage to stay just above hit and expertise cap.

As for needing on loot, if it's a major improvement to my tanking gear, I need on it, including Haste pieces. For Crit pieces I would pass for other mainspecs, since they get more out of the item than I do. I occasionally need on a piece I already have to have a 2nd copy for my DPS spec, but only if nobody else needs it. IF anyone else needs it, you should pass, since it's only offspec for you.

Then again, all the other plate in my guild are DPS, so if they don't need DPS gear for MS, I'm the only one that has any use for it.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Cinuz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:03 am

I see thanks for the help :)
Cinuz

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice