Nikachelle's Mists of Pandaria Paladin Tank Gear List

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Nikachelle's Mists of Pandaria Paladin Tank Gear List

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:56 pm

Updated! I think I got everyone's suggestions/corrections after my last update - thank you so much for your input!

Just to recap, the following have been added:
- Operation: Shieldwall rep/valor items
- BOE gear
- Crafted gear
- Dungeon epics
- Heroic Elite items

As always, if I've missed something or incorrectly linked an item, let me know!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
Aurzon wrote:Just curious, if this is a "Paladin Tank Gear List" why are there Ret pieces (and also Holy pieces marked as Ret pieces) in the list? Thank you for the list though! It's a great resource. ^.^

Not sure which pieces you're referring to specifically (as I can't view the links at the moment), but:

If a piece has hit/exp/haste/mastery and not crit, it's just as valid for a tank (see Theck's guide under basic training.)

If it has hit/exp and crit, it might still be an upgrade compared to a piece which has neither hit/exp (as in the control build hit/exp is valued quite a bit.)

Additionally, if a piece has int, but includes haste/mastery, the loss of str is negligible compared to the gain on secondary stats.

Someone please correct me if my assumptions on why they might have been included in the list are wrong.

Only just saw this.

The holy paladin ones were just an error on my behalf.

The ret ones, however, are entirely valid. While you may not get a set bonus (or maybe it's your fifth piece of tier and therefore you don't need that particular slot to be prot), the stats on some of the ret gear are excellent. Plus there's the chance that they'll drop from Sha of Anger in which case you scored free (ret) tier with awesome stats that will work for prot!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:12 am

You included two broken links:

Nikachelle wrote:Head:

2. ilevel 496 [Giantfoot Headguard] - Galleon

Feet:

5. ilevel 496 [Silverspur Warboots] - Galleon

Other than that, nice job! :)
ImageImage
Thels

Postby JoeBravo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:48 am

wasn't really sure where to put this, but I thought this blog by Binkenstein had some relevance: The Trap of Best-In-Slot Lists
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Treck » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:48 am

You still havnt added http://www.wowhead.com/item=89919 or its lower ilvl versions to the list, It might have crit rating on it that people see as a definite "no tank" item, but considering it actually having 2x sockets (compared to the ToES version) plus a lot more expertise, it is still one of the best options there are to help reach expertise cap, and I honestly rank it as one of the if not the best waist there are for tanks atm to reach exp cap with less effort.
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:27 pm

Updated for 5.2.

What I know I'm missing so far: Durumu (wowhead doesn't seem to list his loot?), concrete Ra-den drops (only found the rings) and any zone drops/crafted items for Throne of Thunder. Also missing the two new faction vendor bought items. I'll add these in when I get a chance.

If you see something that's wrong or missing (aside from the ones I listed above) please let me know!

Also, sorry Treck, I've only just now noticed your post. Whoops! :S
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Treck » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:03 pm

ALL items except tier items can be thunderforged btw.
I can see you added some thunderforged items but not all, would honestly be a mess adding all, so there are 4 versions of every item, but ALL items can be thunderforged, so they can be ilvl 541.
Stats are obviously the same, just higher, and unless you are putting together a hit/exp capped version (unlikely to be very usefull since you wont really be full BiS 541 to have perfect distribution of the ratings all the time)
its not really going to be very vital to know.
Gear scaling is insane between the tiers tho, initial mucking around with the gearz makes it seem like you can go for pretty much any gear, and just reforge hit and exp cap from scratch, and still make it just fine.
Preferably haste/mastery gear :P
Treck

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:28 pm

Hmmm all? I went with everything I could find on wowhead when searching for item drops by name. I'm half tempted to take them out because adding them on top of the LFR/Normal/Heroic drops was a pain in the damn butt.

A blue post here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7709282055 makes mention of 5 possible versions of each item.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:41 pm

Wowhead probably registers them as they drop and are recorded with the addon. You'll notice quite a few 528 thunderforged items, and no 541 thunderforged items, since the 535 items still have to drop.

The 5th version is probably 502 (LFR).
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Fetzie » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 pm

Something interesting: The random stat items can roll a single stat, like my bracers have stamina, strength, ~880 expertise, socket. That's a good chunk of the expertise cap filled with a traditionally low-stat item slot.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Treck » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:27 am

When I said "ALL items can be thunderforged" I worded that badly, LFR gear can not be thunderforged, but all normalmodes and heroic items can.
Ra-den also drops only thunderforged gear.
And like Thels said, some items special like this needs to be discovered before they are added to wowhead.

Random stat items have a 50% (not exact number )higher allocation of a random stat, but only one stat, so they actually sorta match normal gear after a reforge.
Could be interesting, but I think these are mainly made for DPS who have one really good stat and then other "crappy" stats, while we just want as much as possible of several stats. (some prioed higher ofcourse)
Treck

Postby Juugimus » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:59 pm

I didn't see this on the list. I got this on a bonus roll tonight.

[Do-tharak, the Swordbreaker]
Last edited by Juugimus on Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:29 am

Juugimus wrote:I didn't see this on the list. I got this on a bonus roll tonight.

[Do-tharak, the Swordbreaker]

Is listed on Wowhead as a shared loot on a low drop chance for all bosses. Congratulations!
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Kimble » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:04 pm

Hello, since this thread has been really helpful for me, I'll give a little contribution.

Recently, I got this (http://www.wowhead.com/item=95878) from LFR. Wowhead lists 4 versions of this shield, maybe they could be added to the thread.
Armory: Kimble
Member of Heroes Rise.
Kimble

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice