Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby JoeBravo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:55 am

Klaudandus wrote:A rather interesting article on why people would rather work at wal-mart than in a manufacturing job
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/magaz ... .html?_r=0


Interesting article and not something that's limited to the USA. (parts of) Europe has thesame problem.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:19 am
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:09 pm

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/1 ... tion-laws/
I think I left my shocked face in my other pants.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Brekkie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:22 am

ThinkProgress is pretty much the liberal version of TheDailyBeast, so anything you read there should be taken with more than a single grain of salt.

The very article that your link cites describes how the key whistleblower to this alleged conspiracy is, himself, "accused of stealing $200,000 from the party through a phony campaign fundraising operation. He, in turn, has sued the party, saying GOP leaders knew what he was doing and voiced no objection."

Also worth noting is this quote:
Former Florida Secretary of State Kurt Browning, a Republican, has spoken favorably about HB 1355, because he believes its 12-hour early voting days — the law previously limited them to eight hours a day — give voters more flexibility to vote before or after work.

“But reducing early voting days does not attack voter fraud and given the longer days, it certainly does not save money,” Browning has said.


The bill the republicans passed which limited early voting days did so because it extended hours the polls were open on fewer days, keeping the total number of hours when a person can vote early equal.
That's a relatively reasonable and defensible idea, and should be discussed on its merits or lack thereof.

Your link implies intent at deliberate voter suppression, which is a rather extraordinary claim, without very much in the way of convincing evidence. Far more likely is unintentional voter suppression; misunderstanding the considerations of working-class poor people.

The whole "in-person voter impersonation fraud" concept IS totally baseless and silly, though. The GOP make themselves look like deliberate Machiavellis when they bring it up, because there is no evidence to support it being a real thing happening anywhere.
Most voter fraud is absentee-ballot related, which makes sense if you think about it. You cant steal an election by going into a polling place over and over pretending to be all of your neighbors and dead relatives; you simply wont be adding that many votes in the scheme of things and the chance of being caught is too great. You steal elections by stuffing ballot boxes. But most absentee-ballots are military members, which tend to be a GOP constituency, so that fact is ignored.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Torquemada » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 am

Brekkie wrote:ThinkProgress is pretty much the liberal version of TheDailyBeast, so anything you read there should be taken with more than a single grain of salt.

The very article that your link cites describes how the key whistleblower to this alleged conspiracy is, himself, "accused of stealing $200,000 from the party through a phony campaign fundraising operation. He, in turn, has sued the party, saying GOP leaders knew what he was doing and voiced no objection."


Yeah, I put ThinkProgress up there with The Blaze as far as impartiality. Also of note as one of the accusers is Charlie Crist, who's still butt hurt that Floridia Republicans didn't nominate him for Senate, so he dropped the party, ran as an Independent, and still lost to Marco Rubio. So yeah, kind of someone with an axe to grind.
User avatar
Torquemada
 
Posts: 1678
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:00 am
Location: Virginia

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:07 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/us/despite-doles-wish-gop-rejects-disabilities-treaty.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1&


It's stuff like this that just jades me to the American Political System. I'm so freaking tired of it. Man... I just don't get the "ZOMGITSGUNNATAKEAWAYZOURSEVURENTIEZ" BS.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:06 pm

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/us/despite-doles-wish-gop-rejects-disabilities-treaty.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1&


It's stuff like this that just jades me to the American Political System. I'm so freaking tired of it. Man... I just don't get the "ZOMGITSGUNNATAKEAWAYZOURSEVURENTIEZ" BS.


Tell me about it...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:44 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/cadet-quits-cites ... 44765.html

Uggh... this guy is a retard. And I say that as someone who dislikes religion.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:49 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/us/despite-doles-wish-gop-rejects-disabilities-treaty.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1&


It's stuff like this that just jades me to the American Political System. I'm so freaking tired of it. Man... I just don't get the "ZOMGITSGUNNATAKEAWAYZOURSEVURENTIEZ" BS.


Tell me about it...


As a tidbit of future knowledge, Mr. Jim Wright (The Author of the Stonekettle Station) will be posting about this today.

Since his Schadenfreude blog was posted here, I've been an avid reader. From the most recent (not today) blog, there was this gem:

Stonekettle Station wrote:People like John Boehner created this crisis by turning President Obama into a fanatical Whitey-hatin’ Anti-American Black Power Christian Muslim Kenyan Nazi Socialist Communist Baby Killing Satanic Gay Cannibal Demon who wields the Magic Negro Ray of Planet Destroying Doom.


I'm a huge fan of his now.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:33 am

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/us/despite-doles-wish-gop-rejects-disabilities-treaty.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&_r=1&


It's stuff like this that just jades me to the American Political System. I'm so freaking tired of it. Man... I just don't get the "ZOMGITSGUNNATAKEAWAYZOURSEVURENTIEZ" BS.


An Op Ed on this
http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/opi ... 0868.story
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:10 am

I'll see your Op-Ed, and raise you one very angry disabled American Vet bashing the republican to death with words.

http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/12/welc ... -dole.html
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:38 am

Shoju wrote:I'll see your Op-Ed, and raise you one very angry disabled American Vet bashing the republican to death with words.

http://www.stonekettle.com/2012/12/welc ... -dole.html


Image

I would like to see someone on these forums defend this... just so we can mock them.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 pm

Klaudandus wrote:I would like to see someone on these forums defend this... just so we can mock them.


I wouldn't. I'd probably end up banned. After Reading his reaction to it, there isn't much I disagree with. I might not have been quite so vicious at a few points, but damn, it's like he took the words from my brain, scrubbed almost all of the F***'s out of it, and then dictated it.

I mean seriously.

Stonekettle Station wrote:
A frail and infirm Bob Dole returned to the Senate on Tuesday and spoke to the conservatives there as if they were the republicans he remembered, the mostly reasonable ones who, with maybe a little cajoling, could usually be counted on to do the right thing.

Unfortunately for Bob Dole, a while back the GOP suffered a corporate buyout and was taken over by fervent religious extremists and their band of drum beating jingoists. These goons have been in the process of right-sizing conservatism ever since. Reasonable republicans got the pink slip and their positions were outsourced to the lowest bidders.


It's like he took the words straight from my mouth, made them sound better, and put them out there.
User avatar
Shoju
 
Posts: 6355
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:15 am

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:50 pm

Shoju wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I would like to see someone on these forums defend this... just so we can mock them.


I wouldn't. I'd probably end up banned. After Reading his reaction to it, there isn't much I disagree with. I might not have been quite so vicious at a few points, but damn, it's like he took the words from my brain, scrubbed almost all of the F***'s out of it, and then dictated it.

I mean seriously.

Stonekettle Station wrote:
A frail and infirm Bob Dole returned to the Senate on Tuesday and spoke to the conservatives there as if they were the republicans he remembered, the mostly reasonable ones who, with maybe a little cajoling, could usually be counted on to do the right thing.

Unfortunately for Bob Dole, a while back the GOP suffered a corporate buyout and was taken over by fervent religious extremists and their band of drum beating jingoists. These goons have been in the process of right-sizing conservatism ever since. Reasonable republicans got the pink slip and their positions were outsourced to the lowest bidders.


It's like he took the words straight from my mouth, made them sound better, and put them out there.


Well... a commenter pretty much summed it up

I worked it out: you are a shaman. Like the shamans in Lapland, or in the Amazon basin, for instance, who eat the toxic mushrooms, bark, whatever, and have the visions (and of course do all the vomiting) for everyone else, and then pee in a bucket so the next guy can drink the pure (unmetabalised) alkaloids straight up, without all the other poisonous shit, and then pass the vision along in the same way.

You do the hard work. If I had to think about all the above hypocrisy myself, in one go, concentrated like that, without the benefit (and release) of seeing it skewered on the page like that, I'm pretty sure my head would explode. I'm pretty sure your head almost explodes when you write this stuff, too, but you have the strength to stand it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 11101
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:43 pm

Jim Wright wrote:Abortion. Abortion. Abortion. Also, Nazis.

One of the many things that had me cracking up throughout the article. Definitely a good read, with some awesome information, and enough humor to keep it from being dry.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3940
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest
?php } else { ?