[10N] Garalon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10N] Garalon

Postby Auracle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:14 pm

Hi Loli,

I have a couple of suggestions for you, just based off personal experience and raid methods.

1) It's not a good thing to be changing comp every few attempts. You'll want to pick a strat and perfect it.

2) What I see happening very frequently on your logs currently is deaths to Furious Swipe. This is causing you a lot of early wipes/attempts. This, I imagine, is due to complications passing the debuff from tanks to ranged for kiting.

Here's what I'd suggest. Until you are hitting the enrage regularly, you haven't really see where your DPS lies. You are putting a lot of attempts in with 3 heals, which is fine for comfort barrier, but so far that barrier isn't buying you what you need, which is to live through to the end of the fight. I'd recommend modifying your strat to remove the 'unhealable' factor, which is the swipe-range pheromones passing.

Change your kite team to 4 players, 2 ranged and 2 healers, and arrange for some kind of raid CD for each Crush (you have enough). Each receiver of the pheromones should be waiting ahead of the current pheromones target when that player has 15 stacks. At 20 stacks, the current target runs through then away from the new player. The new player should then move continuously (give the old one ~ 3 secs to get away) until the crush, to avoid being knocked down in a puddle.

Going off your logs, you have more than enough HPS to easily handle this strategy. Have your healers DPS too during periods of downtime, it cant hurt.

This is what my raid team does and it works fine, and we were having the same issues you were with DPS etc earlier on.
The major downside to this strat, is that if you DO end up regularly hitting the enrage timer and find that you are simply much too short on actual DPS to push it, you wont have an easy time switching to a 2-heal strat, since a 2-heal makes it very hard to have both healers running. If that's the case, you can try having one of your tanks go DPS and eat swipes, it should be doable with 3 heals np. Current tanks can/should also offload mitigative stats in favor of DPS ones. Our DK tank just puts on his dps set and bombs away, doing around 55k.

If you do decide to try this I hope it helps.

Good luck!
-Auracle
Auracle

Postby Magnilda » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:08 am

Schroom wrote:we are having enormous Enrage trouble on this Boss. Enrage happens at ~20%

Hey, my guild was having the same issues as you. We were reaching the enrage point at about 30%. So we practiced our kiting and got that perfect. Then the wipes were at 10-20%, so we fine tuned our dps targets and made sure that none of the range were hitting the legs. That resulted in a few < 10% wipes until we finally got the kill.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/dvbd ... 34&e=11658

As you can see the dps warrior did 46% of the damage on the legs. The DPS (who was in front of the boss) did 33% of the damage to the legs and then as the full time tank I did 11% of the damage to the legs. The ranged did less than 5% each.
Magnilda

Postby PsiVen » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:47 pm

Keep in mind that to maximize damage on the legs you want these things:

- At least one leg dead at all times so that they keep growing back
- As much damage as possible hitting more than one target
- As much damage as possible on the legs should be with the 100% damage buff
- All legs dead before he casts Massive Crush, with no damage dealt to a leg that doesn't die by then

Basically that boils down to cleaving and multi-DoTs and as little as possible beyond that which still causes legs to die as new ones grow back. Melee should in theory not even be hitting the legs with their autoattack because it doesn't splash. In practice it depends on each mechanic -- HotR to Garalon's body will splash to legs and benefit from the buffed damage on the one you're standing on, but some abilities require targeting the leg to maximize their damage. DoTs should go up on everything with the circle buff, although they are less efficient than perfect cleaves because of the lost DPS from moving around. In a perfect world, your DPS is entirely combat rogues, and melee/tanks never have to kite.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Darielle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:05 am

To put it another way, over the course of the fight, you're starting with 4 Legs and with a new Mend every 40(?) seconds. Unless you're hitting 4 Legs again, you have the exact same pool of health that will be transferred onto the boss, and you get no bonus points for wasting dot damage or blowing up legs as fast as possible. By letting dots/cleaves go full effect and only 1/2 people switching, you share the most going into that health pool for the smallest time investement. Having 5 people switch over and burst it in 10 seconds is unproductive because you're wasting what would have been "free" damage for a large time investment (5 people switched for 10 seconds is a lot more gcd's combined than 2 people just dotting it up every now and then).

So in that sense, there's nothing wrong with actually free damage on the boss that splashes onto the legs, or multitarget attacks that aren't being buffed, as long as it's pure dps gain instead of stifling your dps for the sake of hitting legs. It's still free damage.
Darielle

Postby Schroom » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 am

ok, we finally killed it last night. (videostream on my site again, linked in my previous post) it is really a minmaxing of who hits what. as we only had 2 rangeDPS (hunter and Elementalshaman) we went in with 3 melees, 3 healers and 2 tanks (I tried tanking as ret but our healers went Oom, or couldn't manage topping me off all the time) we tanks used strength food and flasks as well as DPS trinkets to get at least a tiny bit more DPS out of it. (as Stamina wasn't an issue here).

our rogue focused on the legs and made sure to always have at least one leg up and attackable to cleave the who fight. So he coordinated the melees and told them to attack the body or a specific leg. this went pretty well.

we used 5 kiters (2 tanks and the 3 healers) to have more room if something went wrong. And go full DPS. we managed to have 3-4 legs int he end when the boss was on about 10% went full dps on the legs with cleave on the body and killed it a second before enrage.

(the enrage can be survived with our cheatdeath but the boss resets after that.)
Schroom

Postby Chronos » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Anyone have 100% proof of why boss occasionally does a 180/360 spin move?
Chronos

Postby Belloc » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:08 pm

It seemed to happen when our monk used his roll (or whatever ability they use to move a great distance), if I am not mistaken. It may have also happened on blinks. I have a feeling it's related to abilities that essentially teleport you.
Belloc

Postby Hespherus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:36 am

Chronos wrote:Anyone have 100% proof of why boss occasionally does a 180/360 spin move?

I would have to say that happends when you are taking him too close to the walls. Thats my impression at least. Like if half his body is on the other side of the walls, hell do some erratic movement occasionally.
Hespherus

Postby timoseewho » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:42 am

The buff that increases your damage done to legs by 100% when standing under them, does it only apply to the leg that you're currently standing under?
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Postby Calleana » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:49 am

I don't believe so but not certain.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 am

Hmm I was fairly sure the buff only applies to individual legs, not the body or the legs your not stood next to.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 am

timoseewho wrote:The buff that increases your damage done to legs by 100% when standing under them, does it only apply to the leg that you're currently standing under?

The buff is leg dependent. Ranged can not stand under the front-right leg and DPS the rear-left leg, for example.

If you get the buff and dot the leg then move out of the zone, the dots retain the buff's bonuses.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:02 pm

The exception being abilities based off damage done that can be spread to the body, then you can effectively use the leg bonus on the body.
Darielle

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:39 pm

Darielle wrote:The exception being abilities based off damage done that can be spread to the body, then you can effectively use the leg bonus on the body.

While this was true initially, it was "fixed" a month ago: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic ... 797?page=1
Blade Flurry, Inferno Blast and Sweeping Strikes were doing double damage to Garalon's body while attacking his legs, which was not intended. We are currently implementing a hotfix, which should take effect after realms are restarted, that will cause these abilities to do normal damage to the body while continuing to do double damage to the legs.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby timoseewho » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Alright thanks guys.
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 20-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)