Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Another reason banning guns won't work

Postby Lightbeard » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:14 am

As we all know banning things is how we stop people from using them

or we create an illegal black market
Lightbeard

Postby Melathys » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:53 am

found this, and I thought it was an interesting idea.

AMERICA'S HUNTERS ---

The world's largest army... America 's hunters! I had never thought about this...

A blogger added up the deer license sales in just a handful of states and arrived at a striking conclusion:

There were over 600,000 hunters this season in the state of Wisconsin .. Allow me to restate that number: 600,000

Over the last several months, Wisconsin's hunters became the eighth largest army in the world.

More men under arms than in Iran .

More than France and Germany combined.

These men deployed to the woods of a single American state, Wisconsin , to hunt with firearms, and no one was killed.

That number pales in comparison to the 750,000 who hunted the woods of Pennsylvania and
Michigan's 700,000 hunters, all but a handful will return home safely.

Toss in a quarter million hunters in West Virginia and it literally establishes the fact that the hunters of those four states alone would comprise the largest army in the world.

And then add in the total number of hunters in the other 46 states. It's millions more.

The point?

America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Hunting... it's not just a way to fill the freezer. It's a matter of national security.

A friend is a police detective here in New Zealand. I asked her about the issue and she said the police don't want to carry guns, because if they do then the criminals will arm themselves. Police are happy enough to have taser/spray backed up by the shotgun in the car.

Like I said, I'm glad that they can find people willing to endanger themselves like that. Criminals have the benefit of the doubt by knowing that we do not want to hurt them, much less kill them. We don't get that benefit, we have to assume that they want to kill us, because the moment we stop assuming that is the day we don't go home at night. Complacency kills.
Melathys

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:29 pm

Melathys wrote:found this, and I thought it was an interesting idea.

That's not really a new idea. Of course there's a whole bunch of things about that to take with a grain of salt.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm

well that is the reason Japan never invaded
they had talked about it but due to the gun toting nature of the west, they felt it was going to cost too many lives to try it

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Paxen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:07 pm

Melathys wrote:Like I said, I'm glad that they can find people willing to endanger themselves like that. Criminals have the benefit of the doubt by knowing that we do not want to hurt them, much less kill them. We don't get that benefit, we have to assume that they want to kill us, because the moment we stop assuming that is the day we don't go home at night. Complacency kills.

I'm pretty sure unarmed police forces have some of the lowest casualty rates around. The effect that criminals don't go around armed all the time is real.

If it would work for a police force to suddenly stop carrying weapons is a different matter.

Note: Norway has both unarmed police and a higher firearms density than the US - we got tons of hunters too.
Paxen

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:35 pm

bldavis wrote:well that is the reason Japan never invaded
they had talked about it but due to the gun toting nature of the west, they felt it was going to cost too many lives to try it

So they kamikazed our ships instead?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:47 pm

you are comparing different times in the war
when they were considering it is in the planning stages, before pearl harbor

they didnt start kamikazi-ing until we had started pushing them back. (44 i believe is when it started, might have been late 43)
it was more of a desperation tactic. trade 1-4 pilots for an aircraft carrier, carrying thousands of sailors and the launch point for most of our naval might

and when compared to the number of lives that would be lost invading, kamikazi was a drop in the bucket
remember what finally got them to surrender - losing 2 cities to the only atomic weapons ever employed in anger. at the end of the war, we were facing the same choice they had contemplated, do we invade and run the risk of losing untold numbers of troops, or do we leave it alone and go for a different tactic?

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 pm

bldavis wrote:you are comparing different times in the war
when they were considering it is in the planning stages, before pearl harbor

they didnt start kamikazi-ing until we had started pushing them back. (44 i believe is when it started, might have been late 43)
it was more of a desperation tactic. trade 1-4 pilots for an aircraft carrier, carrying thousands of sailors and the launch point for most of our naval might

and when compared to the number of lives that would be lost invading, kamikazi was a drop in the bucket

WWII is a far more interesting discussion than the original, which is inevitably going to devolve into "Well I don't see why what works for *us* wouldn't work for *everyone*." I approve of this threadjack.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:09 pm

youre welcome :)

bldavis

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:43 pm

Melathys wrote:America will forever be safe from foreign invasion with that kind of home-grown firepower.

Without the military to back that up... that firepower won't mean much. If that was all we were relying on, then all it'd take are some foreign aircraft and a good launching point and none of those hunters would even have a chance to fight back.

*Puts on "what if" hat*

If Japan hadn't attacked the US when they did and assisted Germany (more) with the conquest of the Soviet Union instead, do you think:

a) the US would have gotten involved anyway?
b) we'd all be speaking German/Japanese/Italian today?
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Arnock » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:19 pm

I think the US probably would have gotten involved. The Government largely wanted to aid our European allies, but WWI was still heavy on the minds of the public. Pearl harbor threw public opinion behind the war effort.

However, it might have been much later before we did get involved, and at that point, it might have been too late.

But, then again, if I remember right, Japan attacked us because we stopped selling them oil, or somehow prevented them from getting oil, which may have messed up and stymied their assault on the USSR. I'm not a historian though, so I may just be talking out of my ass.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

Wikipedia (yeah, yeah, I know, but I'm feeling lazy) says they were getting 80% of there oil from the US, and when the US embargoed it, Japan had to decide whether to end/minimize their campaign or seek oil elsewhere. They choose to conquer other areas to obtain oil and eventually attacked the US because they perceived the US as already having declared war and wanted to preempt the navy.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Arnock wrote:I think the US probably would have gotten involved. The Government largely wanted to aid our European allies, but WWI was still heavy on the minds of the public. Pearl harbor threw public opinion behind the war effort.

However, it might have been much later before we did get involved, and at that point, it might have been too late.

But, then again, if I remember right, Japan attacked us because we stopped selling them oil, or somehow prevented them from getting oil, which may have messed up and stymied their assault on the USSR. I'm not a historian though, so I may just be talking out of my ass.

another what if part is what if Japan held off for a year or so on pearl harbor, and germany focused on getting britain conquered before getting into the eastern front

bldavis

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:16 pm

bldavis wrote:another what if part is what if Japan held off for a year or so on pearl harbor, and germany focused on getting britain conquered before getting into the eastern front

Britain wasn't in as dire peril as commonly believed due to Germany's lack of naval ability to land an occupying force. Discuss.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:46 pm

while this is true, had they kept up the choke hold they had on Britain it would have eventually ended in the surrender (and possible resistance in) the british isles

bldavis

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum