Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:05 pm

Koatanga wrote:A couple of reasons I don't think Russell Wilson will flame out in the NFL:

He's been battling his entire career to play QB at just shy of 5'11", and at every step had people telling him he was too short. He's used to playing at his height, and has been successful at it.

He was drafted into Major League Baseball, but didn't make the big league. So unlike a lot of QBs who have been winning as long as they can remember and never deal with losing until they hit the NFL, Wilson has already had to deal with professional failure. I think he'll have no problem transitioning to the NFL. He's been there and done that.

He could always be the mini weeden.

And here is an amusement in the Sports World. I'm sure every has seen the Wheat Thins commercial with the Family Guy Cast where the baby (don't know his name, don't watch the show) is putting a lot of emphasis on the H.

Well, yesterday during the Browns game, every time Weeden did something funny, my kids were saying "Weeden" with an emphasis on the "H". The amusment, being there is really no H in Weeden, even though it was WHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhheeden coming from their mouths.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:02 pm

Lupica: "To have a QB controversy, you first need to have real quarterbacks" on the NY Jets fracas

I don't normally listen to ESPN these days, much less ESPN NY, but gawd, the NY Podcasts are hilarious when it comes to the Jets

And the Philadelphia Smeagols fire their Defensive Line coach

And A-Rod has old man hips!
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:46 am

NFL is considering changing / Removing Kickoffs

The 4th and 15 thing seems like a good idea in a way. It would remove the high speed kick off style that everyone seems so worried about. Though I'm left wondering, is there really a higher percentage of injuries on kickoffs?

But the problem is, 4th and 15 will introduce Pass Interference into the ability to keep the ball, which in and of itself becomes a whole new wrinkle, and one I don't like. IT might be because I currently have to cringe when I see Buster Skrine on the field.

I just don't see why Punts are less dangerous than Kickoffs.
Is it because there is no blocking on Kick Offs? No line of Scrimmage?
Couldn't teams just set up a "Quarter Prevent" style defensive scheme that doesn't block the punt, but still gives adequate resistance to a run play that could allow the team to keep the ball, thus giving the same effect as a Kick Off?
Wasn't the point of moving the kick off forward part of the effort to reduce this?
Haven't other rules been enacted to make sure that the "danger" of a kickoff is lessened?
Are they not working?

Doing some very non scientific checking of statistics in 2011, After the change to kickoffs was implemented, there were just 4 returners who amassed 1000 KR yards as opposed to 16 who eclipsed that number in 2010.

So far there are 2 this season with 1000 KR yards. There are only 3 more who have 800+. Digging deeper into the numbers though, it seems that the average kick return is "getting better". In 2010, the best average in the leage was under 30 yards at 29.3. (on 21 attempts) in 2011, the best avg was 31.6 (34 attempts), and so far this year, it is there are 3 players with a better average than last year.

SO maybe something needs to change. Maybe the speed and impact is a problem. in 2009, there were 13 players who had 40+ attempts. in 2010, there were 16 at 40+. in 2011 there were 4 with 40+ So far this year there are 2 with 40+, and 3 more who can probably get to 40+ with relative ease. (30+ attempts with 4 games to go).

I just cringe at the idea of changing it to a play where Pass Interference, and it's dreadful undertones (like it, love it, or hate it, it's probably the most debated call in the league for defenses, and probably ranks right up there with Holding over all) into the mix of what could keep a drive going.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:33 am

Oh internet comments.

Yea how about we just do touch football so no one gets hurt?

This is ridiculous…the NFL players don’t even care, they make the sacrifice and they want to play the game the real way just like Ed Reed says.

Ed Reed is basically a walking injury at this point. I love the guy and the dynamic style he brought to playing Safety but for his own health he needed to retire two years ago.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paxen » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:22 pm

I love the idea. I'm pretty sure there is research out there that proves that kickoffs are the most dangerous play in football (at least I hope there is, with so much talk about how to fix it). Punts don't go as far, the kicking team starts running later (except the gunners, but that's not the same as 10 guys going full speed downfield). The only one hanging back is the returner, blockers don't start 50 yards apart and then collide head-on at full steam like they do on kickoffs.

The only thing they need to tinker with is to make sure that the odds for a conversion are about the same as the odds for an onside kick recovery - like many comments have said, 15 yards may be too short. But this can be fixed.

The only drawback I can see is that it gives teams with great passing offenses yet another advantage, while now surprise onside kicks is something an underdog can make use of great special teams play to give them a shot when facing a dominant offense.
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:41 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:08 am

I'll believe they ditch Norv and Green when I see them walking at the end of the season.

I'm still not sold on the whole idea of the 4th and 15, but it's mainly just a "well, but what about this" that isn't covered in the initial release of information, as well as thinking that if this is how they are planning to do it, they are going to need to do something about PI calls. I don't like the idea of PI determining possession instead of a Kickoff.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:39 am

I'm with Shoju.

There's been talk of firing those two every year for.. fuck I've lost count how many. Until I turn on my tv and see it.. same old same old.
Teranoid

Postby halabar » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Grienke is not worth that much...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:51 pm

halabar wrote:Grienke is not worth that much...

Be happy its the Dodgers and not the Angels wasting the money.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 am

So...

- I don't know what it is, but in spite of a 7-game winning streak, something is bothering me about my Mile High Ponies, not sure what it is though.
- Stupid Bungles, was hoping they were gonna beat the 'girls
- The Nick Foles era is here
- The Kirk Cousins era is here
- Not surprised the Falcons lost another game, they looked terribly weak as a 11-1 team coming to yesterday's game, surprised they lost to the Panthers of all things though.
- Luck is the real deal, and by the looks of it, will have a longer career than RG3
- Jets won because a)The Jags are awfully pathetic and b)They ran the ball.
- The Steelers o-line is quite porous and surprised big ben didnt get hurt again.
- The Chiefs make any team look competitive, that said, I wonder if this game saved Shurmur's job (hopefully not)
- Same goes for Norv since the Chargers beat the Steelers, hopefully he's gone as well
- Was hoping the giants would lose, just for a shits and giggles three way tie for first place.
- WTF happened to the Cardilulz? are they gonna be the only team to start 4-0 and then go 0-12 the rest of the way? Specially amusing since it was the Cardilulz vs Iggles that marked the spiraling out of control fall for the Iggles
- Disappointed overall with the Lions. Stafford reminds me of Romo...higher ceiling than him, but still a headcase, and slightly more injury prone -- but glad my Packers won.

Can't wait for Texas Pats game.

Also, yay for Johnny Football winning the Heisman. Still upset the Ducks didn't capitalize on A&M beating 'bama... Thanks for nothing Oregon.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:12 am

So a game by game note fest

The Browns have won 3 in a row... Uh... Someone have a defibrillator?
The Rams play harder than most of the league. I'm curious to see what Fisher does with that team in the future.
The Cowboys beat the Bengals... two weeks in a row fraught with tragedy. two weeks in a row the heavy hearted team has found a way to channel the emotion.
The Colts... Holy Crap man. If people talked about Peyton being an MVP for not being around last season, and his value showing, what does that say for Andrew Luck this year?
The bears are their own worst enemy, and the vikings prove that while the league is QB loving right now, a running game is still invaluable.
WTF is going on in Pittsburgh? They just don't look right.
Foles could be a good QB. And the Bucs are an odd team.
Kirk Cousins will be traded for a high draft pick either this offseason or next. Mark my words.
The Falcons lay eggs. And the Panthers prove when they want to, they can be a good team.
Jacksonville is... well... I don't know. Bad? Tough? Directionless? The Jets aren't much better.
The Niners would be undefeated if they had a QB who wasn't young and learning, or a vet who is a manager.
The Saints season is proving why a HC is so valuable. You need someone to deal with the talent, and make good calls. Also... After Bounty Gate, the Saints D looks like a comedy. They would almost be better served to line up 1 yard inside the First down marker, 11 wide, and try to stop a team. What they are doing now is terrible.
The Sea Chickens... Oh My God... Whisenhunt is going to be fired.
The Packers Lions game was some of the sloppiest football I have ever seen.

Dear Hoodie,
I know you like to do weird things from time to time, but can you please use Ridley A LOT tonight? Man... That would be great.
Shoju

Postby Teranoid » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:34 am

Cam Cameron is out in Baltimore.

As if this week couldn't get any better and it's only Monday.
Teranoid

Postby Koatanga » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:14 pm

Ever have one of those days when everything goes your way?

Note to Skelton: I don't care if it IS Larry Fitz out there, you do not throw at Richard Sherman. He will Autobot your ass right out of the league.

Marshawn Lynch had only 11 carries - for 128 and 3 TDs. Cards - you had a good defense, didn't you?

Why did the Seahawks pass at the end of a 58-0 blowout? Because we tried to run out the clock but the Cardinals wouldn't tackle us.

8 turnovers. 490 yards of offense. 2 100+ yard running backs. 3rd-largest blowout (by 1 point) in the modern NFL. Team record for points. Scored on offense (running and passing), defense, and special teams before the half. And the shutout.

Great game by the Seahawks. Absolutely crap terribad nightmare by the Cardinals.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Texans be getting stomped... doesn't look as bad as the Seachickens, but it could go that way...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General