Remove Advertisements

TPS issues and questions

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

TPS issues and questions

Postby Vayacondios » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:49 am

If this is in the wrong forum, very sorry. It seemed like the closest one to what I needed to ask.

Bottom line, I've having MAJOR threat issues Vs our Brewmaster Monk. Just about every damn boss in the tier has a taunt switch and it's just killing me. Looks something like this:

I cast taunt, get 100% aggro, blow any DPS CD I have such as wings or ES, throw shield (I have it glyphed for 30% more one target), SC, j, SoTR.
Brew master stays at 100-105% of my aggro for at LEAST 20 seconds (vengeance falls off at 20) about 20% of the time he fully pulls off of me and I have to retaunt. Even after his vengeance falls off and I've built some of mine, I'm still fighting him for aggro sometimes. He normally sits at about 99% of my aggro for another 15-20 seconds after vengeance falls off, then he drops to <80%

Up until this week I was rocking a 463 sword Vs his 496 staff, so I assumed that was most of my problem. Monk has better DPS then pally does + a way better weapon, seemed about right. But now I have the sword off UnSok and we're fairly close in Ilvl, but I'm still having this problem.

I've changed to 300 Str food for most bosses, saving my pots and DPS CDs for the taunt switch, everything I can think of. It helps, but it's not solving the problem.

I hold or have held WoL ranks for prot pally on almost every boss in the tier ranging from #1 to #150, so I don't think it's a total rotation fail or something. If I'm pushing that kind of DPS and thus TPS that I'm ranking very high, then I *should* be fine on TPS.

Question is, am I missing something? Am I just doing this really badly or is this just the woes of Pally Vs. Monk?

Armory for me: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/r ... s/advanced

For the Brewmaster Monk: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/r ... l/advanced

Logs from the past month+: http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/234654/
Vayacondios

Re: TPS issues and questions

Postby Nooska » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:04 am

With what you are describing, its nto a problwm with you, but with your co-tank not letting off his rotation when you swicth. you come from 0 vengeance (well not quite I assume), so its his job to let off just as much as it is your job to pick up.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Brokenone » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:06 pm

Easiest answer ever. Hand of Salvation.

To answer your other question though...it isn't just Monk vs. Paladin. I tank with a druid normally, and whoever has vengeance can easily pull from the one without vengeance. If you try going first, you'd probably be able to do the same thing to him.
Brokenone

Postby Vayacondios » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:13 pm

Brokenone wrote:Easiest answer ever. Hand of Salvation.

Trust me, I use it a LOT. Blizz screwed me though with 5.1 making it so that it drops ALL threat. Some fights like Fang, Empress, fights with only the boss and no adds I can still HoS, but things like UnSok or Wind Lord I can't since it would drop his aggro on his mobs also. Thus my need to try and fix the problem rather than mending the sympyoms.

If this really is just simply he needs to cool his heels for a few seconds after a switch, then good - glad to know I'm not screwing up here. Just wish there was more I could do, drives me nuts having to fight him on aggro and with enrage timers being so tight on some fights it helps to allow us both to do as much DPS as we can.
Vayacondios

Postby daishan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:03 pm

Vayacondios wrote:
Brokenone wrote:Easiest answer ever. Hand of Salvation.

Blizz screwed me though with 5.1 making it so that it drops ALL threat.

So true I almost killed the raid on Empress after putting HoSal on myself so I could carry on dpsing then it ran out and I suddenly had a 20% threat lead again :oops:
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Nooska » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:49 am

Ther is also the possible issue of Tricks of the Trade or Misdirection going on your co-tank.
I just thought about it, because I use a focus target and macros to use MD on CD - though usually I drop my focus after initial grabbing on tank switch fights.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby lythac » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:16 am

Vayacondios wrote:about 20% of the time he fully pulls off of me and I have to retaunt.

Could be you getting parried. Your gear looks to be high enough to go for Expertise hard cap.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Vayacondios » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:12 pm

lythac wrote:
Vayacondios wrote:about 20% of the time he fully pulls off of me and I have to retaunt.

Could be you getting parried. Your gear looks to be high enough to go for Expertise hard cap.

Did the math, I *could* hit hard cap exp but I would have to use almost full 320exp gems to do it and reforge out of...everything. Not worth it just yet imo.

Checked in to the logs, not seeing a lot of parrys. It *could* be that I'm getting bad parrys RIGHT at the moment that I need them the most but the odds of that being the problem are really low.

Talked to the rogue and he trixes the tank off the pull then spends his trix on our DPS warrior, so that isn't the problem. Hunter uses MD off the pull and then not at all mid fight unless there are adds to be MD'd to one of us tanks.

So looks like it's just the Monk that needs to cool his heels on a taunt switch. Thanks much all who tried to help.
Vayacondios

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:13 am

I dunno, mate. I don't feel like you need to go to that extreme of a reforge/re-gemming to reach hard exp cap at your gear level. I'm lower and easily reach it with only 1 pure exp gem (my JC one in the belt socket).

I do have some different priorities on gear that favor the exp/haste pieces though. I also wonder about the usefulness of the minor haste you have over going to exp/stam. With that little haste, do you really benefit from it as opposed to have the breakpoint to push CS lower than 4 seconds?
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Vayacondios » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm

ATM I have 2575 exp, with reforging I can pick up another ~900 if I remember right, so that puts me at 3475 exp, so I'd need to pick up another 1625 exp through gems/enchants.

Say I change out my four 160haste/120 stam gems for 160exp/something gems, that gets me another 640exp, still 985 exp short. I still have three more gem slots to play with, if I did 320 exp in all of them I'd sit at 25exp short of the cap, still not hitting the cap but 25 rating is small enough that it prolly won't matter.

Still not sure, seems kind of six of one - half dozen of the other type deal. But seeing as how gems are cheap on my server and I'm feeling a little flush from selling a DMF deck, I'll give it a shot. Tonight is HM Spirit Kings progression so it will be a good test of it.
Vayacondios

Postby Brokenone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:10 pm

The reassurance that you'll never miss a holy power generator at a crucial time feels amazing.
Brokenone

Postby Vayacondios » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:37 am

Did HM SKings progression tonight, felt good with 15% exp. Picked up a heroic kill and better yet a heroic shield, makes a hell of a diff.

Much thanks all, think things are looking up.
Vayacondios

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice