Remove Advertisements

Assassin's Creed 3

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Assassin's Creed 3

Postby Torquemada » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:46 am

My dumb ass bought AC3 via download, which just took 10 days to accomplish via the crappy internet service in Afghanistan. That said, the download gave me time to replay the series from AC2 onward(I don't have the AC1 disk with me, the rest play off UPlay).

I'm really, really liking the improvements to the gameplay engine. The engine for AC2 was getting really, really dated by the time of Revelations. The controls are quite a bit different from what I'm used to from the other games in the series(I may have to go change key mapping later as parry/block is E now instead of Right Click, for example), but all in all, the game is amazing. Except for the weird version of Checkers/Connect 3. Screw that evil mini-game.
Torquemada

Re: Assassin's Creed 3

Postby Torquemada » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 am

I finished the game last night. Without going into storyline spoilers, I wasn't a huge fan of how the ending worked out. Obviously they were going to leave it open for sequels, but the particular story device felt very forced, and it also felt like the end of the Matrix Trilogy in how the hero went from one goal in the first game to a totally different by the second and third major installations.

As far as gameplay, I felt they made a lot of improvements, as I'd already mentioned. The major issue I have is with the Synchronization system, and how to get maximum points you have to kill the targets or complete the mission in a specific way. Additionally, I realize that they're not making an RPG but are instead telling a story so the script is fixed, but a lot of the missions have a single point of failure that causes you to reload and retry. I much preferred the method of AC1 where you were completing side quests to get approved to kill a target, then extra side quests would give you hints on effective ways to end the target, but the method in which you did it was totally up to you. I could have killed on target in AC3 at the outside of a chase but instead I had to chase him down because the story dictated it. Boo-urns.

Also, I loved Ezio. I liked Altair. Connor is boring. That said, it will be VERY interesting to see where they take the series from here with the amount of shake up this game brought to the story. It's now a tie between whether I want to see AC4 or ME4 first... Strike that. A ME4 that isn't horrible would win, but only just.
Torquemada

Return to Other Games