Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby palles » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 pm

So I have primarily gone with a full out Haste build, I was shooting for the 5619 break point (overshot a little bit) with maxed Hit and Exp, then going mastery now that I've hit that cap. I have more crit than I'd like but the Stam and haste on those items makes them better than other options I have/had at the time I picked them up. I really want to replace my MH but have no had the sword drop which feels like the only viable replacement at this point (well other than actual good epics) ... I have lucked out in that my raid has no plate DPS so I roll MS on DPS gear for my tanking gear, essentially.

I only have 1 log with me as a tank:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-53xafcfpepk47bmg/

because I was running Ret until I left my old guild (though I wanted to be prot and was prot for all of cata) anyway, here is my character, I'm open to any advice.

oh a few other minor things I guess. I know my enchant isn't ideal, and will be changing to colossus once 5.1 drops, but at this point don't feel it is worth it to make the move to other options with my current weapon. I am also working to replace my rings, primarily getting exalted with Klaxxi for the hit/haste one, and hoping for something better drop wise.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... s/advanced
palles

Postby Lastwolf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:18 am

When 5.1 hits there is a new faction, the 'tank' trinket is dodge and therefore utterly poo, dispite the ilvl upgrade I was thinking that Static-Caster's Medallion might be a decent shout, sure the clicky on use is of no use to us but the raw haste makes it attractive, no ?.
Lastwolf

Postby daishan » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:34 am

If your just ranking a trinket on it's static stats the engineer made dragonling would allow you to get much more than that caster trinket, 3x 600 stat cogwheels, only ppl using the engineering helm will end up with slightly weak cogwheels.
If your going for a haste build and don't want 2 stam trinkets do your best to get the Emperor haste strength proc trinket, the proc seems to be consistently 40% uptime over the last 3 weeks of raiding :D
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lastwolf » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:28 am

Yeah, I figure'd as much, just got to pray will is nice to me then.

Seems like a bad move by bliz though, no-one likes dodge, c'ept maybe druids.
Lastwolf

Postby Thels » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:49 am

Parry and Dodge are far from useless. However, Hit/Exp/Haste is simply more reliable. That doesn't mean that Dodge has no value remaining.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:46 am

It just means they swung the pendulum too far when it came to how valuable hit/exp/haste are supposed to be for us.

As far as I know, Warriors don't get that handicap
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Stubblerump » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:30 am

When I do lfr on my lock, every paladin tank I've seen has been going parry/dodge to include reforging OUT of hit/expertise. What's up with these guys? A different flavor of flat earthers, or is there a legitimate counter school of thought out there? I'm assuming ignorance, but at the same time, they're not stacking mastery like they would if they simply hadn't gotten the word that cata is dead. And they're not just casually being bad about it, they're maxing out gems and enchants to do it as well.
Stubblerump

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:34 am

Stubblerump wrote:When I do lfr on my lock, every paladin tank I've seen has been going parry/dodge to include reforging OUT of hit/expertise. What's up with these guys? A different flavor of flat earthers, or is there a legitimate counter school of thought out there? I'm assuming ignorance, but at the same time, they're not stacking mastery like they would if they simply hadn't gotten the word that cata is dead. And they're not just casually being bad about it, they're maxing out gems and enchants to do it as well.

well, they are probably going for the avoidance scheme as per askmrrobot
---
Klaudandus

Postby Stubblerump » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:37 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Stubblerump wrote:When I do lfr on my lock, every paladin tank I've seen has been going parry/dodge to include reforging OUT of hit/expertise. What's up with these guys? A different flavor of flat earthers, or is there a legitimate counter school of thought out there? I'm assuming ignorance, but at the same time, they're not stacking mastery like they would if they simply hadn't gotten the word that cata is dead. And they're not just casually being bad about it, they're maxing out gems and enchants to do it as well.

Ok, fair enough. But spike damage *shudders*.
Stubblerump

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:55 am

Stubblerump wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:

Ok, fair enough. But spike damage *shudders*.

The thing is that going for hit and expertise before anything else feels counter-intuitive at first glance, and it's something I've been griping about for a while -- that dps gear that has exp/haste is more valuable for us than a piece with dodge/parry; in fact, you could say that in some cases, with two items of the same level, the one that has exp and *crit* is better than the dodge and parry piece -- and it's not something you would know unless you constantly read theck's posts.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Thels » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:54 am

I disagree. You make it sound like avoidance is useless, which is not true. We simply have better options.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:57 am

I never said it was completely useless -- just said that they made hit/exp and haste too damn good in a counter-intuitive way.
---
Klaudandus

Postby samsara » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:26 am

Any sugestions how i can make it to the 15% expertise, i'm trying hard but for now the only thing which come's to my mind is to socket pure expertise gems instead of +exp & +stam. But even i would replace those with pures i would be about 1,5% short.

At the moment i feel quite comfortable with not too much dmg spikes incomming and i don't have to call out often for an external cooldown but i prefer to reach my caps :)

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/nathrezim/Yûko/advanced

I thought i understood the value of exp but when i looked at my logs i could not find any Parries or Dodges from my target, so maybe i'm just a lucky one or i'm realy bad in WoL stuff. For example following log 100% hits (or is exp to avoid glances? )

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6sxq ... 998&e=1449

I'm highly interessted pushing my dps as i'm happy with my survability (also in hc progress nearly never random tank death , at least none where i couldn't say it was a stupidy of myself)
samsara

Postby Thels » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:18 am

samsara wrote:http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/nathrezim/Yûko/advanced

Best replace "de" with "en" to make your character sheet more understandable:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/nathrezim/Yûko/advanced

You really seem to go for Stamina at pretty much the cost of everything else. Combine that with several dodge/parry items that have neither Hit nor Expertise, and it's indeed no surprise that you won't be able to reach the Expertise hardcap.

It's not something you should be overly worried about, though. It's just a bad idea to go Haste before reaching your Hitcap and Expertise hardcap.
ImageImage
Thels

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice