Remove Advertisements

[5.0.5] Shadow Priest

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [5.0.5] Shadow Priest

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:49 am

Worldie wrote:Well I really dont know which site to craft, I suppose How2Priest should be the most reliable nowadays since it "rises from the ashes of shadowpriest.com"

In which case, he does propose all damage spells before DoTs in the priority list.

checking this is simple: does he back it up with math and pretty graphs? :P

and even then, the graphs lev posted tell you all you need to know: go from top to bottom.

Anything that makes sure you can the highest one faster, can make it move up in priority though. That's where the math comes in.
Last edited by JoeBravo on Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby alayire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:52 am

Levantine wrote:Image

DPET.

Ahem.
In the case of recasting dots, before they actually expire doesn't that make DPET go down? Since you are actually cutting into the existing dots damage.
Since that's what I was asking here, is there any value to recasting my dots with ToF up for the damage increase?
alayire

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:58 am

alayire wrote:
Levantine wrote: [pictures]
DPET.

Ahem.
In the case of recasting dots, before they actually expire doesn't that make DPET go down? Since you are actually cutting into the existing dots damage.
Since that's what I was asking here, is there any value to recasting my dots with ToF up for the damage increase?

you are right, it does
really depends on how much the total damage gain (on full duration) versus the damage lost by cutting it short is.

My best guess is finding out who helped on the simcraft spriest functions and what guide(s)he helped writing and use that.
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:14 am

As far as math goes I believe it has been proved that, due to the Cata+ dot mechanic (dots continuing to tick if refreshed rather than having the tick timer resetted) the best moment to renew a dot is right before the last tick. Iirc it was something like 1.5 sec for VT and 0.5 for SWP
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:28 am

I have to add that my favorite method of killing stuff os to land in the middle and use fear - tags everything and gives me several seconds to dot it up and apply my shield before I start killing for real. (Psyfiend helps a lot with that as well).

DS does have 24 yard range - I guess it may also have to do with it being similar to Glaive Throw which I am very used to as a hunter.

Edit: and that I missed about 3 pages worth of posts in replying.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:24 pm

So I finally got my first piece of LFR tier last night (along with a few other upgrades, it was a good night), and after gemming and whatnot I was checking Mr Robot this morning, and was looking at other upgrades and...

Mr Robot is showing that getting another piece of tier is a ~22,000 point upgrade in their system. (Currently I'm at ~124k points in their system).

Is the 2-pc bonus that strong? I figured it was at least worth stepping down from a 489 to a 483 to make a set, but that number is huge.

Thoughts?

(Mindburn on Terenas US)

(and yeah, still need to reforge... was waiting until I finish all my LFRs as there's a few options where I still could get upgrades).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 am

If it's a choice between MB or VT/SWP, then you'd do MB, then pop VT/SWP on the next gcd. You don't just sit around with VT/SWP not on the target because MB/MS/DP are higher damage. Especially if you're running DI/FDCL, because then you suddenly don't have a source for procs (meaning fewer MB/MS and as a result, fewer DP.)

If we were seriously putting all damage spells over dots... then we'd never cast dots and our rotation would be something along the lines of MS-MS-MS-MB, DP at 3 orbs.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 am

It was pretty obvious MS was put over dots only with FDCL proc ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:59 am

So, what you are saying is that my firts notation;
^VT>^SW:P>DP3>MB*>MS*>MB>MF
is correct (*=instant, DI, FDCL and 2xMS respectively) - with the L90 in there dependant on what you used - for DS, in between MB and MF.
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby alayire » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:16 am

ahem, Nooska i don't think so.
DP3 has the largest DPET as you can see from Levies post. which sort of translates into 2 things:
since MB has a cooldown and besides execution phase is the only way to get orbs, MB should be put on cooldown as soon as it's up. with one exception, when you have 3 orbs.
this cuts into the second thing, DP3 should be put on cooldown as soon as it's up, because you run the chance of proccing MB if you don't. You could delay it one or more GCDs but you would then run into issues with MB if you proc too fast.

So that would mean DP3>MB>SWP>VT>*MS>MF excluding execution phase. looking at that DPET graph with best in slot that MIGHT change in the future.
I'm not exactly sure why Worldie would place MS proc over dots, unless you already have 2 charges meaning you could waste some charges. I'm always prioritising dots over MS, because once dots are up I have some gcds to do something else, but then again my dps is kind of low .. so what do I know :(
alayire

Postby Nooska » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:09 am

^VT and ^SW:P is "keep up" not necessarily cast first (though usually).
What I would say as an "opening" is MB, VT, SW:P, then back to the priority.
SW:P and VT are important for procs (FDCL, DI), and with DI, you have already removed the cooldown lock on MB, as you will be getting procs that reset the cooldown as well.
With MS glyph, instant MS x2 is 2 second delay, where MB is 1.5 seconds (adjusted for haste to benefit MB).

so yeah, I should c aveat my priority listing as "with FDCL, DI and glyph of MS"
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Rhiannon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 am

alayire wrote:this cuts into the second thing, DP3 should be put on cooldown as soon as it's up, because you run the chance of proccing MB if you don't.

With the obvious exception being the case where your sw:p has fallen off. If sw:p is not on the boss, you are not able to get a mb proc, so if you have a dp3 and no sw:p on the boss and mb is on cd the correct thing to do is apply sw:p, then dp3. Obviously this situation is very rare, and more often than not a result of poor execution of priority earlier on, but if it does arise that is the correct response.
Rhiannon

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:31 am

Hai guyse.

I r in need of help

Here's a sample log:
http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-tccklsg0nn7mem6s/

Now, my problems: Lei Shi and Tsulong. My DPS on both (normal and LFR) is pure garbage compared to what I can get done off other bosses of this tier (you can see I rank easily on Protectors and Sha).
I must be TOTALLY missing something cause despite how good I can play my DPS barely beats 60k on both fights. LF hints?

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nooska » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:55 am

Won't that be because you don't get a lot of ticks on TsuLong adds in day phase, and on Lei-shi because you lose damage whenshe hides, when she shields and you don't get a lot of time on the adds when she shields.
("Go Away" shouldn't hurt you too bad, but does remove MF from the equation there)
Main Characters:

Nooska

Postby Worldie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:21 am

For Lei Shi I got told of 2 special spots to stay where you can cast freely during GoAway without being pushed further, but I am already using them in that log.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes