[5.0.5] Shadow Priest

Ret, Holy, PVP, etc

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Baelor

Re: [5.0.5] Shadow Priest

Postby alayire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:28 am

I'm wondering what you guys are doing on Elegon sparks (10 man).
I'm using FDCL and DI atm.
I've tried using VT into SWP into MB, then MF + whatever procs. Sometimes I get the spark very low like 10% just after MB, so I switch to the boss letting the dots kill it, but I find that unreliable, spark goes throw with like 1% life ..
I also tried leaving out VT, but if nothing procs, I'm left with just MF and that doesn't seem to cut it. Also .. I sometimes screw myself on MB using it on boss and it comes up late on spark(it seems like it never procs when I do it on boss).
I have not tried MS spam with MB yet. Should I do this instead of using dots?

Btw I'm using DI over TF because I feel like I have to recast my dots with the TF damage boost up to make it count, how are you guys making use of it?
alayire

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:35 am

Assuming you want to maximise, you absolutely need ToF for Elegon. You can snipe a SWD on exploding adds in p1 for extra dps, and it will be more or less always up during spark phase, and you will also gain it for most of both pillar/add transitions.

In order to kill sparks up to wave 4/5 (never managed to kill wave 6 myself).
1) Try to save a 3 orbs DP
2) MB / Spike spam. Don't bother dotting, they die too quick.
3) Save FDCL procs for sparks
4) Use Cascade on boss
5) Eventually use shadowfiend / mindbender on last add you want to kill
6) If you find your dps is more than enough for certain waves, throw a ninja SWP on another add to fish for procs

This also works for Tsulong adds btw.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby alayire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:44 am

I'm helping DPS on the Proctector anyway, but I'm using Halo over Cascade to help the healers(they are sort of undergeared).
I don't think will be able to kill the 5'th spark, so we are doing only 4 (because 2 of our dps'ers just plain suck .. no other way to put it :( ).

But what do you do with your TOF buff, do you refresh dots right away(it seems like a waste of gcd's to me) or you just rely on the fact that you have it up enough till you have to put them up anyway?
DI can screw me up badly on Sparks from what I've seen since I can use the proc and then get left dry on the sparks.
alayire

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:47 am

More or less just "ignore" ToF. I dont do anything special when it's on, I don't even track it. The loss of 2 GCDs which you could use on flay / spike depending on situation is generally not worth the damage gain on the 2 dots.
Also, if you time Halo properly (like, after a add explosion) it will heal people under 15% hp proccing ToF.

Remember that VT and SWP are no longer the biggest part of our DPS. Your top 3 damagers should be DP MB MF
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby alayire » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:14 am

yeah I Halo right after the explosion, but its CD doesn't synch with the Protector, so I might be losing some dps there I guess.
We haven't seen the last phase of Elegon yet and we can't get below 3 adds in Phase 1, but we've only got like 4 hours on the boss so far so .. I donno.

It sucks that Shadow is my offspec and I have suboptimal gear for it(since most of it is shared with the healing spec, but I'm mostly ok like at hit cap, just haste is not where it's supposed to be also lacking big on trinkets) so I don't know exactly where I should be at with my DPS. I still beat some of our dpsers which tells quite a sad story.
what are you guys pulling on normal fights?(not boosted like Elegon)
alayire

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:17 am

Worldie wrote:More or less just "ignore" ToF. I dont do anything special when it's on, I don't even track it. The loss of 2 GCDs which you could use on flay / spike depending on situation is generally not worth the damage gain on the 2 dots.
Also, if you time Halo properly (like, after a add explosion) it will heal people under 15% hp proccing ToF.

Remember that VT and SWP are no longer the biggest part of our DPS. Your top 3 damagers should be DP MB MF

It's not total damage percentage that counts, but damage per execution time. for an elemental shaman a searing totem is ~3% of total damage, but it's the most damage I can do in 1 gcd (as long as it runs it's full duration)

I miss the DrDamage addon for this kind of stuff :(
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:48 am

Just a view:

Dots are less damage per cast than DP, MB and procced MS. Easy to math out. That's why you cast them only when every other skill has been cast.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:57 am

ITT: Worldie doesn't understand the concept of DPET

SWP and VT are both higher DPET than all nukes. The reason Mind Blast is a higher priority than dots is because of DP, not because it does a particularly impressive amount of damage.

I know this because I'm looking at simcraft results of both BIS heroic t14 and Schatze. Both say the opposite of what you're saying and suddenly the reason you constantly whine about doing poor single target dps is totally clear.
Last edited by Levantine on Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 4:58 am

No i totally dont know what DPET means :o

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:04 am

DPET.
Levantine

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:13 am

Wait... "damage per execute time" doesn't mean "damage done while in execute range"? °_°

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:16 am

must. not. laugh...

I fail :'(
JoeBravo / Joerojin / Ekibiogami / Cloverleaf / Yodin / Flidhais / Kuanti@ The Khalasar - Dragonblight EU
JoeBravo

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:25 am

So anyone explains me now why all the most common theorycraft sites all propose different theoryes and different talent choices?

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby JoeBravo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:31 am

Worldie wrote:So anyone explains me now why all the most common theorycraft sites all propose different theoryes and different talent choices?

because not all common theorycraft sites are actually theorycrafting sites?
But I'm just following Binkensteins judgement on this. (he does the elemental shaman math. + most of the MoP healing haste breakpoint cards that you see around are his)

on that matter:
Binkenstein about caster dps haste: http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=71
JoeBravo

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:44 am

Well I really dont know which site to craft, I suppose How2Priest should be the most reliable nowadays since it "rises from the ashes of shadowpriest.com"

In which case, he does propose all damage spells before DoTs in the priority list.

Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Off-specs & Other Classes