Remove Advertisements

Grats Absalom/Blood Legion! Mastery Stacking Viable?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Grats Absalom/Blood Legion! Mastery Stacking Viable?

Postby theckhd » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:09 pm

I don't see much point in the "sit at 5 until I need it" strategy. By using it at 5 right before your next generator, you'll always have one more cast for when you "need" it. And the extra casts will greatly reduce the number of times you "need" it in the first place, because you'll take fewer large spikes.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thels » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:16 am

theckhd wrote:I don't see much point in the "sit at 5 until I need it" strategy. By using it at 5 right before your next generator, you'll always have one more cast for when you "need" it. And the extra casts will greatly reduce the number of times you "need" it in the first place, because you'll take fewer large spikes.
Hmm, that makes sense, though it's 1 HP generating cast away, so only CS/HotR/Judg/AS+, and if you're not Hit/Exp-hardcapped, only when it actually hits.

But either way, if he sits on it on 5HP or not, he's going for less uptime, which I agree is more overall damage taken, but slightly stronger SotRs when he really wants them.

Not saying it's the better option. I'm merely saying it could be the reason for gearing the way he does.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby theckhd » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:40 am

It's not just a matter of overall damage taken though. Think of it this way: what constitutes a situation where you "really want SotR"? Probably a spike event, where you just took two back-to-back melees and are sitting at <50% health. But using SotR when you're actually at 50% health is a lot less effective than not getting there in the first place. And that's obvious when taken to an extreme: if you wait until 10% health to use SotR, you're going to be screwed because the next attack is still likely to kill you even with 50% mitigation.

If you bank until 5 and spend to avoid wasting HP generation, you're eliminating some (most, in fact) of those dangerous back-to-back melee situations to begin with. So what you're doing is turning situations where you'd drop to <50% health and spam SotR twice in panic into situations where you had SotR up for the first attack or two, don't dip as sharply, and thus don't "need" an additional SotR. And of course, you'll always have the second for backup.

This works even without reaching hit/exp cap, those just make the tactic better. Even if your next HPG misses, you still have 3 seconds of SotR uptime to help cover you until you get your next generator off.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations