Valor reward discussion

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Valor reward discussion

Postby Shoju » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Darielle wrote:THey're not happy with any of the choices (Making Paladins use Mail, Str-->Int, or anything).

Honestly, I'm not sure why we're talking new classes when they now have a system to seriously consider adding 4th specs to multiple classes. They could actually make Shockadin (Paladin), or Necromancer (DK) a thing.

I would probably just flip all the tables if they actually made a paladin dps caster spec.

Why? It could be pretty interesting, and could allow them to make some AWESOME 2h'd spell caster maces again. (I remember like one or two, and always thought they were AWESOME)

A DK Necromancer could be pretty interesting, but would need something amazing to make it "not another pet spec" and actually interesting. The major hurdle with a "Necromancer" type DK, is what do you do with the resources? Get rid of Runes / RP / neither for the spec?
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:03 pm

Shoju wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:I would probably just flip all the tables if they actually made a paladin dps caster spec.

Why? It could be pretty interesting, and could allow them to make some AWESOME 2h'd spell caster maces again. (I remember like one or two, and always thought they were AWESOME)

A DK Necromancer could be pretty interesting, but would need something amazing to make it "not another pet spec" and actually interesting. The major hurdle with a "Necromancer" type DK, is what do you do with the resources? Get rid of Runes / RP / neither for the spec?

I'm just a Warcraft purist. I still flip a table every time I see a BElf Paladin.

The number of right-side up tables in my house is extremely low.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Teranoid » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Obviously they didn't read your and Invis's 50 page dissertation about how taurens shouldn't be paladins before Cata. :P
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Teranoid wrote:Obviously they didn't read your and Invis's 50 page dissertation about how taurens shouldn't be paladins before Cata. :P

No, I was a part of that. Cowadins are dumb. Forsaken would have been the best choice, followed by troll. Because everything is better as a troll.
Shoju

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Darielle wrote:THey're not happy with any of the choices (Making Paladins use Mail, Str-->Int, or anything).

Honestly, I'm not sure why we're talking new classes when they now have a system to seriously consider adding 4th specs to multiple classes. They could actually make Shockadin (Paladin), or Necromancer (DK) a thing.

I think that was them basically fixing the issue that was the feral tree in a way that wouldn't paint themselves into a corner. There becomes a serious bloat issue if they start adding specs, along with some of the comments that have come up before (I believe in GCs watercooler postings): differentiation (different color spells does not a spec make), alienation, complexity (play and balance) and 'look and feel'. I think many ideas get squashed because of the last one than anything else... no matter the logic, if someone high enough up on the Dev team likes the way it is being done, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:32 pm

I think that was them basically fixing the issue that was the feral tree in a way that wouldn't paint themselves into a corner. There becomes a serious bloat issue if they start adding specs, along with some of the comments that have come up before (I believe in GCs watercooler postings): differentiation (different color spells does not a spec make), alienation, complexity (play and balance) and 'look and feel'. I think many ideas get squashed because of the last one. No matter the logic, if someone high enough up on the Dev team likes the way it is being done, it isn't going to change anytime soon.
benebarba

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:36 pm

benebarba wrote:So yeah, I think it's more likely to get another int-plate class/spec than to remove the item type. Gimme a plate wearing ranged class! I somehow doubt that DKs will gain a ranged spellcaster spec at this point. It seems like that would be like Hunters getting a 'pet free' spec. I think it's a real alienation concern, let alone implementation/balance issues.

And I would totally support that, given the direction they've taken.

benebarba wrote:Now that deviated fully, one thing I think can be said about the VP/tokens/rep situation:
From a systems perspective, it is a great solution: everyone hates it, nearly equally ;)

Quite true.

Ok, new classes/specs...
Engineer - leather wearing int user
Necromancer - ranged spell DK (int)
Marksman - redone MM, no pet
??...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Darielle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:37 pm

I think that was them basically fixing the issue that was the feral tree in a way that wouldn't paint themselves into a corner. There becomes a serious bloat issue if they start adding specs, along with some of the comments that have come up before (I believe in GCs watercooler postings): differentiation (different color spells does not a spec make), alienation, complexity (play and balance) and 'look and feel'. I think many ideas get squashed because of the last one than anything else... no matter the logic, if someone high enough up on the Dev team likes the way it is being done, it isn't going to change anytime soon.

It was. This time.

What they do with it in the future isn't really going to have bearing on what they did with it now. Which is why if they did do additional specs, they probably would only do one or two.
Darielle

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Shoju wrote:A DK Necromancer could be pretty interesting, but would need something amazing to make it "not another pet spec" and actually interesting. The major hurdle with a "Necromancer" type DK, is what do you do with the resources? Get rid of Runes / RP / neither for the spec?

Neither, you give them a third resource, which every other class will have by the next expansion.

halabar

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:44 pm

halabar wrote:Ok, new classes/specs...
Engineer - leather wearing int user<snip>

They can pry my goggles from my cold, dead pally hands! Well, at least until next tier.

:P

On the MM no pet front: I actually wonder if one of the reasons they don't want to do this may have to do with it becoming more 'simple' to play than if there *was* a pet to manage as well (imagine if they just took the MM rotation and buffed the damage of each spell to account for the lack of pet damage). To be honest, it always seemed to me like MM, and possibly even survival, *shouldn't* have a pet. But then again, I always thought hunters should be able to ride their big pets :P
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:46 pm

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:A DK Necromancer could be pretty interesting, but would need something amazing to make it "not another pet spec" and actually interesting. The major hurdle with a "Necromancer" type DK, is what do you do with the resources? Get rid of Runes / RP / neither for the spec?

Neither, you give them a third resource, which every other class will have by the next expansion.

Well, admittedly for Prot, it seems like mana is kind of just there for looks now :P
benebarba

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:48 pm

Shoju wrote:
Teranoid wrote:Obviously they didn't read your and Invis's 50 page dissertation about how taurens shouldn't be paladins before Cata. :P

No, I was a part of that. Cowadins are dumb. Forsaken would have been the best choice, followed by troll. Because everything is better as a troll.

Tauren Paladins are extremely dumb, but I honestly am more willing to accept them than the dumbtardedness of BE Paladin lore. As far as I am concerned, Paladin specifically refers to The Order of the Silver Hand, the elite group of Human clerics trained by Lothar and blessed by Archbishop Faol. Dwarves are also OK because they're awesome. Draenei... ehhhh... I can accept because they worked the Light so concretely into their backstory. But Blood Elves? High Elves had absolutely NO Paladins or Paladin-y leanings, nor did Kael's remnant army. And then all of a sudden, Paladins! Why? We're eating a Naaru! wtf.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shoju » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:08 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Shoju wrote:

Tauren Paladins are extremely dumb, but I honestly am more willing to accept them than the dumbtardedness of BE Paladin lore. As far as I am concerned, Paladin specifically refers to The Order of the Silver Hand, the elite group of Human clerics trained by Lothar and blessed by Archbishop Faol. Dwarves are also OK because they're awesome. Draenei... ehhhh... I can accept because they worked the Light so concretely into their backstory. But Blood Elves? High Elves had absolutely NO Paladins or Paladin-y leanings, nor did Kael's remnant army. And then all of a sudden, Paladins! Why? We're eating a Naaru! wtf.

I was ok with the magic siphoning from the naaru more than I was Liadrin's total wussification. Oh god. It's great, I love it, I can feel it. It was as if they took her dialogue from some late night skinemax soft core pron flick. Calling them Blood Knight's was awesome.

But, take that as the opinion of someone who didn't play warcraft, or II, or Vanilla. I'm just a TBC baby.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:41 pm

benebarba wrote:
halabar wrote:Ok, new classes/specs...
Engineer - leather wearing int user<snip>

They can pry my goggles from my cold, dead pally hands! Well, at least until next tier.

Just think of the possibilities... one spec specializes in explosives, another in contraptions, the third is basically a healing spec with gadgets.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:08 pm

benebarba wrote:On the MM no pet front: I actually wonder if one of the reasons they don't want to do this may have to do with it becoming more 'simple' to play than if there *was* a pet to manage as well (imagine if they just took the MM rotation and buffed the damage of each spell to account for the lack of pet damage). To be honest, it always seemed to me like MM, and possibly even survival, *shouldn't* have a pet. But then again, I always thought hunters should be able to ride their big pets :P

well if you think about it
beast mastery is all about taming a wild beast and turning into an even bigger, even angrier beast
survival is (or should be) about surviving, traps, using a pet as a guardian/hunting companion, just being hard to kill
marksman makes me think of a sniper, so petless wouldnt be too bad for them

as for pallies
dwarves make sense as they were also part of the silver hand (not originally but soon after)
draenei - were taught the ways of the light by the naruu, and have always had warriors. some of the warriors just took to the light and became paladins

forsaken - maybe, but you need to remember the light hurts foresaken, as in causes them physical pain. would be GREAT for ret, but for prot/holy that just doesnt quite fit.
belfs....i just dont like the lore bs reason here either.
taurens, i actually like. its not holy light, but light from the sun they worship. you have tauren druids worshipping the moon, and you have sunwalkers revering the sun. it fits. in addition, you have always had tauren warriors, the sunwalkers are just the priest-y ones (kinda like draenei)

just one question though...
WHY ARE WE DISCUSSING THIS HERE?!?!?!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General