Remove Advertisements

Valor reward discussion

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Valor reward discussion

Postby Flex » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Yeah but heroic mode is like endgame+. Point is that in Wrath it offered gear of the same item level that was obtainable in the latest dungeon.

Wasn't launch wrath 10 man tokens in heroics and 10 man raids can only buy 10 man gear. 25 man tokens only from 25 man raids to buy 25 man level gear. Then when Ulduar was released old 25 man tokens became the 10 man tokens. Trial of the Crusader was a huge fustercluck with everyone having to go through the lower raid gear first. ICC was pretty clear cut and the first time I really remember the daily heroic granting a currency greater than what you could get from the heroic itself.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nooska » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:33 pm

Reading through th ethread I can agree with a lot of points on both sides, only really one thing that annoys me.

"Needing valor gear"...

We don't need valor gear to raid (I mean, if we needed gear of the ivl that drop sin an instance, whay do we need drops from the instance anyway?).

We want valor gear.

There is a mile of difference between those when discussion the pros and cons of the system.

But yeah, I also wanted the gear, and therefor eI did all teh rep grinds - no way am I doing them on my alts till 4.1 (well, my BS DK might go for the recipies, but without having looked up thats klaxxi which should be almost there anyway).

Thing is, I don't actually need any of the valor gear (well I could switch up my shoulders and my belt), because everything else was overtaken by reality - and at this point I don't think I will buy the shoulders at all, I will probably buy the belt (so I don't feel like I'm wasting ggold when I use the belt buckle), but apart from that I don't think I'll spend more valor before 5.1, even though I have 2 476 pieces (crafted).

So, when we talk about it, lets remember that we WANT VP gear, we don't NEED it (just ask Treck, I would guess).
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Darielle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:02 am

Wasn't launch wrath 10 man tokens in heroics and 10 man raids can only buy 10 man gear. 25 man tokens only from 25 man raids to buy 25 man level gear. Then when Ulduar was released old 25 man tokens became the 10 man tokens. Trial of the Crusader was a huge fustercluck with everyone having to go through the lower raid gear first. ICC was pretty clear cut and the first time I really remember the daily heroic granting a currency greater than what you could get from the heroic itself.

At all tiers, you could get Valor/Conquest/Triumph/Frost from 5-mans, just gated at 2 per day. It may have been either the ToC or the ICC patch where they put in the Raid Weekly quest, which also awarded highest token from killing a boss on any mode.

We don't need valor gear to raid (I mean, if we needed gear of the ivl that drop sin an instance, whay do we need drops from the instance anyway?).

We want valor gear.

To be fair, you're implying that people are only concerned with using Valor gear to raid normal mode, which isn't necessarily true.
We also play in a world where some people "need" 35% nerfs to raid Normal anyway, so ... the "need" logic doesn't really work.

Yeah but heroic mode is like endgame+

~

That's even more debatable since ICC/Cataclysm and the raid nerf system really took hold.
Darielle

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:03 am

Darielle wrote:

At all tiers, you could get Valor/Conquest/Triumph/Frost from 5-mans, just gated at 2 per day. It may have been either the ToC or the ICC patch where they put in the Raid Weekly quest, which also awarded highest token from killing a boss on any mode.

Flex was right. During Naxx the only way to get Valor was to raid 25 man - everything else gave Justice. When Ulduar launched, the daily heroic and 10 man Ulduar rewarded Valor (with no new gear to buy) and only way to get Conquest was in 25 man Ulduar. I believe it was at some point during Ulduar that they patched things and made everything reward Conquest, then they kept that model for the rest of the expac with Triumph and Frost.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Darielle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 5:17 am

Flex was right. During Naxx the only way to get Valor was to raid 25 man - everything else gave Justice. When Ulduar launched, the daily heroic and 10 man Ulduar rewarded Valor (with no new gear to buy) and only way to get Conquest was in 25 man Ulduar. I believe it was at some point during Ulduar that they patched things and made everything reward Conquest, then they kept that model for the rest of the expac with Triumph and Frost.

ToC was when they made everything that didn't already award Conquest award Conquest.
Darielle

Postby benebarba » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:30 pm

RE: "original purpose", I concede. I didn't play then, I was just parroting something I swore I read one of the CM/Dev-types write at some point. But I may have mis-remembered.

But I'll still hold onto the idea that the current VP & Elder (whatever they are called) token system which provides a reward for activity A which requires one to participate in separate activity B is fundamentally flawed, unless the desire was to use this as a mechanism to encourage cross-style play and assume that the rewards within a single activity are sufficient. But I am not sure that is more than a one-way street. I somehow doubt that a significant number of people are raiding *just* so they can use elder tokens to get upgrades (I imagine the mere presence of LFR did more than the tokens). But I imagine the number of people who are doing dailies *just* to have a way to spend valor to get upgrades is not insignificant. For those who enjoy and do both: I doubt it much matters one way or the other. For everyone else: having another avenue to use those rewards could certainly open up some nice options.

I've tried not to use the word 'forced', because that really seems to mean 'encouragement I don't like or don't agree with' in most of these discussions.
benebarba

Postby Sagara » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:50 am

Sounds logical to try and promoe cross-activity. More content, so longer play time before we get bored... Now did they over-do it? I'd be inclined to agree - 4 reps is way too much when you have the opportunity to do all 4.

Maybe some sort of weekly cap for rep gains would be appropriate. Or simply a weekly daily quest cap.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby benebarba » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:28 am

Sagara wrote:Sounds logical to try and promoe cross-activity. More content, so longer play time before we get bored... Now did they over-do it? I'd be inclined to agree - 4 reps is way too much when you have the opportunity to do all 4.

Maybe some sort of weekly cap for rep gains would be appropriate. Or simply a weekly daily quest cap.

Yeah, I think in order to make people who would be questing primarily not feel like they couldn't do much they also placed more of the onus for managing your play time on the player. Interestingly though, I'd have thought the Dev's would have figured that'd lead to more early burn out on content (therefore actually shortening the playability over when we had daily caps).

Another alternative could have been to have a graded rep/reward scale like LFD: the first faction whose dailies you complete (or some such thing) a day give you 1.5-2x more rep and/or VP, then maybe it gives you more VP and/or gold once you hit exalted. There I think the trouble would be communicating that: with LFD it's easy since it can be put right there in the interface. With dailies, I think they'd have to have introduced some sort of additional buff or UI/quest text element.
benebarba

Postby Zalaria » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:56 am

benebarba wrote:Yeah, I think in order to make people who would be questing primarily not feel like they couldn't do much they also placed more of the onus for managing your play time on the player. Interestingly though, I'd have thought the Dev's would have figured that'd lead to more early burn out on content (therefore actually shortening the playability over when we had daily caps).

This is exactly why they locked Shado-Pan and August Celestials behind Golden Lotus.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:46 pm

I don't equate extending time played with extending the playability of the content. Not when the daily grind is just the same few quests over and over ad nauseum. I am less likely to explore my alts, and less likely to complete the zone quests, because my available play time is taken up with repetitive grinding of reputation on my main.

A more compelling execution of dailies would have been to have the dailies actually progress you through an area. Most areas have a number of quests that lead you through exploring the area. Imagine if you joined the pandaren taking back an entire area from the evil whatevers, but you were slowed by being part of the advancing army. After X number of quests, the expedition leader would say "that's all for today; let's camp here" and you can quest no further that day. And imagine part of those quests were repetitive - gathering food or water for the troops, helping to repair the infrastructure of the area - such that you had maybe 3 new quests that advanced the expedition along with your busy work of keeping the expedition moving.

30 days of such content would be 90 total new quests in the zone, with another 20 or so dailies that get repeated. It would give you the feeling of actually getting somewhere as you fight your way through the zone. It could be phased such that every day the area you passed becomes greener and more pleasant, to give you the feeling you are really taking back the land.

That would be content worth doing, ticking both the solo-questing and "we don't want you to get your rep too quickly" boxes.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Nooska » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:57 pm

^That basically is what they did with GL, except they added random into it and didn't do quite so many steps, but tied them to rep levels rather than quests completed.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby bldavis » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:06 pm

the devs are working very hard right now and this would be a huge expense of dev time and resources

almost as popular as soon-tm

though like nooska said, they did that with golden lotus
and to a certain extent they did it with klaxxi and tillers as well
klaxxi - more quests you finish in the zone = more paragons unlocked = more dailies with 3 more paragons coming at various rep levels
tillers - more rep = more farm plots = more rep daily from just farming

hell even cloud serpents changed dailies once you hit revered

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby benebarba » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:14 pm

Koatanga wrote:I don't equate extending time played with extending the playability of the content. Not when the daily grind is just the same few quests over and over ad nauseum. I am less likely to explore my alts, and less likely to complete the zone quests, because my available play time is taken up with repetitive grinding of reputation on my main.

I do think the Devs have some ideas of how much play time should be involved in things - if it is realistic is another question, as is if the mechanism to achieve that playtime makes for a good game (and then: good for who?).

I certainly don't think dailies make for compelling gameplay as they are implemented currently at level 90. Maybe the Tillers and OOCS ones, because you actually get to see *something* change, and get immediate 'tangible' results when you earn something. The others are pretty much set up to be you going into the meat grinder for another day.

Koatanga wrote:A more compelling execution of dailies would have been to have the dailies actually progress you through an area. Most areas have a number of quests that lead you through exploring the area. Imagine if you joined the pandaren taking back an entire area from the evil whatevers, but you were slowed by being part of the advancing army. After X number of quests, the expedition leader would say "that's all for today; let's camp here" and you can quest no further that day. And imagine part of those quests were repetitive - gathering food or water for the troops, helping to repair the infrastructure of the area - such that you had maybe 3 new quests that advanced the expedition along with your busy work of keeping the expedition moving.

This is probably one place where I thought some of the Molten Front ideas would have worked better, and I like this line of thought. And as you say, it would actually seem like you are *doing* something. But I think the danger there is making the world seem populated: you'd probably need areas phased, and the phasing could make people 'move on', possibly never to return. So unless CRZs could account for that, you'd have early areas empty. Currently, since all of the dailies (like molten front) go through the same basic steps, you can ensure people will go to an area.
benebarba

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:34 pm

Vale of Eternal Blossoms is pretty much the same structure as the Molten Front - in MF, when you earned a certain number of tokens you unlocked some new quests which opened up a new part of the zone to do dailies in. In VoEB, when you reach different rep levels you get the quests to unlock a new area. The main difference is that areas you hadn't unlocked in the Molten Front were phased to be empty or inaccesible, whereas in VoEB the areas are all there and visible, you just can't get the quests yet.

I think the balance is off as far as number of quests and rep per quest. Golden Lotus has more quests for low reward per quest, compared to older rep grinds - it takes longer to get through it all, but the overall reward isn't any larger.

The Tillers is probably the most rewarding of the rep grinds this time (I haven't done Anglers, so can't say there). Lower time investment for the dailies, lots of optional ways to add in. But of course, it has the least immediate/significant (and most optional) rewards.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby benebarba » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:45 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Vale of Eternal Blossoms is pretty much the same structure as the Molten Front - in MF, when you earned a certain number of tokens you unlocked some new quests which opened up a new part of the zone to do dailies in. In VoEB, when you reach different rep levels you get the quests to unlock a new area. The main difference is that areas you hadn't unlocked in the Molten Front were phased to be empty or inaccesible, whereas in VoEB the areas are all there and visible, you just can't get the quests yet.

I think the balance is off as far as number of quests and rep per quest. Golden Lotus has more quests for low reward per quest, compared to older rep grinds - it takes longer to get through it all, but the overall reward isn't any larger.

The Tillers is probably the most rewarding of the rep grinds this time (I haven't done Anglers, so can't say there). Lower time investment for the dailies, lots of optional ways to add in. But of course, it has the least immediate/significant (and most optional) rewards.

IIRC, In molten front you had the whole prepare->establish->push phasing I thought where the most evident change was not just the number of dailies and their location but also the state of the tree and the sanctuary hub in MF. That's kind of what I'm getting at. If I'm not mistaken, all of the dailies currently happen in areas that do not change - you just don't get any quests there until you've unlocked em. But with OOCS and Tillers you get some visible progression (your serpent and your farm, respectively), which is why I mentioned them. And we certainly see a lot of progression and phasing in the leveling experience... so I don't think it's by accident or technical limitation that things are set up the way they are.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General