Remove Advertisements

LGBT rights discussion

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Postby Paxen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:15 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Well it's a bit hypocritical to say it doesn't matter on one hand and say you'd like to see an athiest elected on other. Having read through most of this thread and the politics thread, it seems to me that the presence of religion means more to those who aren't religious than those who are.

Right now an atheist wouldn't stand a chance in the general election, and certainly not in the primaries (as he would appear to be unelectable solely for that).

The nutters who won't vote for an atheist aren't posting in this thread; that doesn't mean they don't exist.
Paxen

Postby Koatanga » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:40 pm

Fridmarr wrote:But it ought to be about that candidate's views, and not one's own prejudices about religion in general. That is the same sort of gross generalization used to justify the worst sorts of human behavior.

But that's just it - the candidate in question doesn't espouse the views of Christianity. He didn't want to feed the hungry or clothe the naked or love his neighbour as himself or anything of the kind. He's not even mainstream Christian - Mormon is anything from a sect to a cult depending on who you ask. He was using religion as a tool to get himself elected, and that's it.

The core beliefs of his party revolve around the rights of businesses to prey on consumers without interference from government in the form of regulations such as the kind that would have prevented the credit collapse and the current recession. There's nothing Christian there. They just wave the Christian banner because if they didn't they wouldn't stand a chance in hell of getting elected.

I find that to be morally reprehensible. And while I agree there shouldn't be any laws banning candidates from talking about their religion, I hate the idea that candidates can be elected on the basis of religion.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Darielle » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:05 pm

Well it's a bit hypocritical to say it doesn't matter on one hand and say you'd like to see an athiest elected on other. Having read through most of this thread and the politics thread, it seems to me that the presence of religion means more to those who aren't religious than those who are.

To be completely fair, it isn't really hypocritical to say that you'd to see an atheist elected unless you were also saying that you want him elected because he's an atheist. The attitude is more that he/she would like to see one elected in spite of the fact that the candidate is atheist (which you're not advanced enough socially to handle).

Or at least, that's how I read it.
Darielle

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:02 pm

Koatanga wrote:But that's just it - the candidate in question doesn't espouse the views of Christianity. He didn't want to feed the hungry or clothe the naked or love his neighbour as himself or anything of the kind. He's not even mainstream Christian - Mormon is anything from a sect to a cult depending on who you ask. He was using religion as a tool to get himself elected, and that's it.

The core beliefs of his party revolve around the rights of businesses to prey on consumers without interference from government in the form of regulations such as the kind that would have prevented the credit collapse and the current recession. There's nothing Christian there. They just wave the Christian banner because if they didn't they wouldn't stand a chance in hell of getting elected.

I find that to be morally reprehensible. And while I agree there shouldn't be any laws banning candidates from talking about their religion, I hate the idea that candidates can be elected on the basis of religion.
...ok so then it's even more stupid to vilify religion then isn't it? That's my point.

You're dead wrong on the rest though, if you're going to look at regulations/or the lack thereof, that led to the credit collapse the GOP has rather clean hands in comparison. Specifically, Just look at those regulations that exist around incentivizing lenders to create high risk loans, the politics around that whole issue and why they were promoted, and those regulations that reclassified those loans into a less risky security class. You can see the discussion in the politics thread for that though, this isn't the thread for that discussion.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:35 am

Fridmarr wrote:
Invisusira wrote:You're absolutely right, it DOES matter a lot more to us. Why? Because, as non-religious or non-Christian Americans, we're the ones who are forced to live with it every single day. When half a country is so gung-ho to elect an candidate based on the fact that he is so openly Christian and vows to get the country back to God and cure it of the gay instead of ACTUAL POLITICAL ISSUES, there is something absolutely disgustingly wrong with how shit works.

America was founded on the principle of freedom of - and freedom from - religion. We all know the separation of church and state is... not quite there. When we have someone looking to set the country back 50 years with his views on basic civil rights for women and gays almost get elected, you damn well better believe religion matters to us.
But it ought to be about that candidate's views, and not one's own prejudices about religion in general. That is the same sort of gross generalization used to justify the worst sorts of human behavior.

That said, if someone hates religion that's fine with me, they just shouldn't say that religion shouldn't matter to anyone, while it clearly does to them.

For the record, freedom "from" religion, is just about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. That would imply that anyone who makes a public comment about religion is violating your rights and is therefore committing a crime. There could not possibly be anything less American than that. The government isn't responsible to keep you free from religion, they are responsible to protect your religious choices and to treat religions equally.

Freedom "from" Religion, isn't implying that anyone who makes a public comment about religion is violating your rights and is therefore committing a crime.

Freedom From Religion, in this aspect, is more about removing religion from government. Not from the people who run the government. If you are Christian, Hindu, Muslim, Mormon, Atheist, Catholic, Protestant, Wiccan, Satanist, Etc... it shouldn't matter. That should not be a part of the job of governing the United States. As an elected official, you are chosen to represent your district / state / county / city / nation, not your personal religious affiliation. Your job (in regards to religion) is protecting the rights of all religious (and non religious) groups, not pushing your personal religious group's agenda.

There is a difference between making sure that each person has the right to worship the way that they choose, in the religious denomination that they choose and pushing to make / keep things illegal based on your own religious views.

That is the problem. That is where Religious Freedom needs to work, and that is where it is currently failing.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:42 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:46 am

On one hand, I understand the problem with the ideology. On the other hand, I see a business that is going to work the system to save them the most money, and that.... is capitalism.

But it also highlights the problem, and shows perfectly why this needs to be a federal issue, and not a state by state issue. Until the Federal Government steps in, this is what we are going to see. Companies who will take every avenue they can to save money, to not have to pay, to not have to recognize. Until we see the Federal Government wade into it, we will have problems like this.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:36 pm

Fridmarr wrote:You're dead wrong on the rest though, if you're going to look at regulations/or the lack thereof, that led to the credit collapse the GOP has rather clean hands in comparison. Specifically, Just look at those regulations that exist around incentivizing lenders to create high risk loans, the politics around that whole issue and why they were promoted, and those regulations that reclassified those loans into a less risky security class. You can see the discussion in the politics thread for that though, this isn't the thread for that discussion.

And the major shareholders and board members who determine how the lending institutions behave - are those Republicans or Democrats, generally?
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 pm

Koatanga wrote:And the major shareholders and board members who determine how the lending institutions behave - are those Republicans or Democrats, generally?

I don't know if that information is readily available and it is of rather dubious value anyhow (but I'd bet it's more even than you think). About the only thing you can really look at is the flow of the money.

Campaign contributions are honestly a bit of a wash over the last 12 years. Generally groups like Goldman Sachs, Lehman Brothers, Citigroup, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, even Bank of America have trended Democratic but barely (overall). Then in the 2008 election cycle the Dems peaked and got significantly more money from these financial institutions than the GOP.

This year however, that flip flopped with Romney getting getting a strong clean sweep from the financial sector.

(see opensecrets.org (could be .com) for your own research)

That said, this topic has absolutely no value in a LGBT Rights thread. If you want to continue this discussion, revisit it in the politics thread, it does not belong here and will be moderated going forward.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:01 am

The UK parliament has revealed their plans for legislation: Same-sex marriage will be legal, except in the Church of England, where it will be illegal. :?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:47 am

KysenMurrin wrote:The UK parliament has revealed their plans for legislation: Same-sex marriage will be legal, except in the Church of England, where it will be illegal. :?

Thats a rather interesting political stance - we will legalize same sex marriage, but we will ban it in 1 religious institution. I know the Church of England is subject to the Queen, but that doesn't mean its subject to parliaments political views. If the CoE decides that they will not conduct same sex marriages for religious reasons, thats their prerogative - but secularly elected politicians have no business legislating religion, except to subject religious practises to the same standards as secular practises (ie, if same-sex marriage is banned secularly, then religious institutions cannot conduct them either, naturally).

(Though I know the discussion, it existed around here for almost a decade - where the right wing wanted to "not legislate what the church could do", while it was legislaion that kept the church from conducting same-sex marriages, so it was a deregulation the left wanted)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:57 am

I don't know how accurate this is, but what I've heard in the past is that because the Church of England is a state institution headed by the Queen, then if it was legal for them to perform same-sex marriages, EU law could be interpreted to require them to do so because of anti-discrimination rules.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:08 am

That can only be considered scare-tactic politics.

No anti-disctrimination laws hold sway over religios institutions acts based on religios views. Only on actual hirings for example.
(else how can some mosques have gender segregation for instance)

That seems like a ploy by anti EU, anti same-sex marriage politicians to me.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:22 am

THe Church of England is a state institution, which makes it distinct from independant churches as far as what rules it has to follow.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum