Remove Advertisements

[10N] Wind Lord Mel'Jarak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10N] Wind Lord Mel'Jarak

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:26 am

Got some sub-40% looks at this last night, few tips we picked up for those attempting it.

3 Blademasters up = one-shots (3x 150k attacks focused on one person), this means this group cannot be killed last
3 Trappers up = mass chaos and confusion
3 Menders up = I hope you brought lots of interrupts

Although 3 Blademasters looks to be impossible without a ridiculous number of cooldowns, the other two options are possible depending on your comp. Unless you're going to dynamically change your ranged focus targets mid-fight, I'd recommend killing whichever group you've used 2 CCs on first, this way nothing about the fight changes when the first group dies. We found it easiest to hold and AoE all the active adds for as long as possible before killing the first group, this means that you can drop all 3 groups in pretty quick order and transition quickly to phase 2.

With our ranged-heavy comp we decided multiple Menders was a bad idea, so we CCed 2 Menders and killed that group first. We left 3 Trappers up because we had multiple Paladins (HoP cancels the amber freeze from the Trappers), but by the end of the night we could have done 2 Trappers/2 Blademasters and been fine, that's just a question of healers getting comfortable with the encounter.

We also ended up single-tanking with 3 healers, after the initial confusion of having 5 adds + the boss up the tank damage is really not an issue, and the enrage will probably be an issue unless you're bringing 6 DPS.

Spear macro for mindless CCing of a focus target
Code: Select all
/target focus
/click ExtraActionButton1
/targetlasttarget

Phase 2 Rain of Blades damage is ... intense. We couldn't get reliable timers to predict exactly when it would occur so we could quickly stack and heal/spread (Feng's Arcane Velocity style), so most of our wipes were here. At least it appears that the boss does not target melee/tanks for bombs so the boss should always be a good stack point if you can do it safely.
baleogthefierce

Re: [10N] Wind Lord Mel'Jarak

Postby daishan » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 am

My guild got this on the very last try last night, I'm sure there's many ways it could be done but I'll just outline how we did it.

Raid comp
2 Tanks Pally and Monk
3 heals 2x pally 1 priest
3 ranged Mage, Hunter, Spriest
2 melee Warrior and Rogue

We tried a few different cc combos but settled on cc'ing 2 Trappers 1 Blademaster and 1 Mender.

Had a couple of 10% wipes so decided we'd get more from hero on the pull.

Had a 1 tank and 1 melee on each mender (should be safe just having the tanks on them as tanks don't get trapped and about 30 sec between Mendings) also had our priests mass dispelling the quickening buff, if you don't tank dmg can go pretty high.
Dps down the Menders 1st, as they share a health pool they drop fast.
Keep 1 Trapper and 1 Blademaster cc'd (you can have a ranged break a Trapper's cc early so the boss doesn't free the wrong add). At this point try to even out the hp of the 4 adds you want the Bladmasters to die about 5-10 sec before the Trappers so as not to risk an insta gib from 3x Blademaster charge.

Burning the boss.
As Baleog already said treating Raining Blades like Feng's Arcane Velocity is the best way to do it, try to have range and healers spread 1 sec before the end of the channel so as not to risk Wind Bombs in melee.
Everyone but especially ranged and healers must be very careful not to stand in Wind Bombs and to try and stack them up so that you don't run out of floor space. It's almost a wipe if you stand in a Bomb as anyone that's low will die and you can't afford to loose the dps or heals. Whirling Blade isn't too dangerous as long as no one gets hit by it on the way out and on the way back in it shouldn't kill anyone, obviously it should be avoided to reduce healer stress.

Hope that's of some help to ppl, thx for the tip on HoP freeing amber freeze victims we didn't get round to checking that, with only 1 trapper free at the start it's not very necessary, could of helped on a couple of the wipes mind you.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Brokenone » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:01 am

We found solo tanking to be way easier. There is no need for a second tank in the entire last portion of the fight. Plus, with only 1 tank your Vengeance (and thus your damage and SoI healing) is ridiculous.
Brokenone

Postby Kishandra » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:54 am

You can certainly have 3 blademasters up at once. Just power word shield whoever gets marked for the shadowstep-ambush and you'll be fine.

That was our strat, incidentally - aoe the 3 blademasters & 3 amber trappers at the start, then just handle the 3 healers afterwards.

We figured it's hard to keep constant interrupts when everyone's getting stunned in amber, and trying to position windbombs with a bunch of resin on the ground is just asking for trouble, so the trappers need to die first. We also accidentally got the 3rd blademaster a few times when we thought 3 was a wipe scenario, and found that it wasn't really all that bad so we just added that pack in as well.

Solo tank all the way for 10m.
Kishandra

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:21 pm

Kishandra wrote:You can certainly have 3 blademasters up at once. Just power word shield whoever gets marked for the shadowstep-ambush and you'll be fine.

That was our strat, incidentally - aoe the 3 blademasters & 3 amber trappers at the start, then just handle the 3 healers afterwards.

We figured it's hard to keep constant interrupts when everyone's getting stunned in amber, and trying to position windbombs with a bunch of resin on the ground is just asking for trouble, so the trappers need to die first. We also accidentally got the 3rd blademaster a few times when we thought 3 was a wipe scenario, and found that it wasn't really all that bad so we just added that pack in as well.

I like this fight a LOT just because most add combos are viable with the correct raid setup, so it's really up to you to decide what you want to do as far as add kill order and how many are CCed. We did Menders/Blademasters/Trappers for our kill order and the resin puddles weren't really an issue as most had despawned by the time we got our first Rain of Blades in P2.
baleogthefierce

Postby Vayacondios » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:27 pm

Lots of ways to get this boss, my guild just picked it up last night. I'd post logs but we're keeping them privet for a week or two.

Raid Comp:

Tankadin (me)
Brewmaster Monk

Resto Sham
Resto Druid
Holy Pally

Fire mage
SV hunter
Spriest
Combat Rogue
Fury Warrior

CC:

2 Blade masters
1 of each of the other two groups.

Run Down:

We tried to have our brewmaster solo tank the fight but we found he was just to under geared for it (472ilvl) so for the kill we two tanked it, I picked up the boss and two amber shapers, our monk picked up all the other adds. Fight was super easy for us, stacked them up and nuked them down. I found doing a very high haste build with all DPS like glyphs worked amazingly well, ended up ranking 27th on the fight (Well, once we post logs that is). For the end phase our monk stood around smacking the boss and I tanked him. Damage wasn't that bad on me, only used CDs for the blade storm deal so that the healers could ignore me and just focus on the raid.

SoR for the first half, SoT for the second half. Battle mender+SoI is AMAZING if your group needs the extra heals in the first half. The pulls I was running that I was doing as much or more than some of our healers (our healers have ranked on almost every fight in MSV in the top 20, so they are very, very good.) something around 16-19mil healing from me during AoE phase.

If you do less than 120k on this fight as a pally with two or more adds on you, you're doing it wrong. I finished around 178k.

Took 35 or so pulls to kill him, but we had major DPS issues the first 30 or so pulls (Sandy the storm from hell killed internet for some people *angry fist shake*) Enrage is tight-ish. Cleaving and dot spam classes are god mode. Kill pull for us was `30 seconds from enrage.

The fight is much more dependant on your healers HPS and your DPS's DPS and use of CC. It's really a very easy fight for a tank. This *can* be one tanked, but it depends on your raid comp and gear/skill level. We had the DPS for two tank/three heal so we did. The extra healing just makes it really easy.
Vayacondios

Postby frontallobe » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:39 am

We were able to down this last night. We found that one tanking worked best especially with a paladin. I was at about 250k for the duration of the fight and almost 100k healing with battle healer glyph. I put together a quick video with a few tips that should help you avoid a few wipes that we had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U74hc6GZFCI
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Tebin » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:51 am

That's a great vid frontallobe, thanks! Our resto druid has a habit of topping healing meters and bragging endlessly, so if I could beat him that would be most good...

I like your short duration buff tracker addon too, can you tell me what it is?
Tebin

Postby frontallobe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:05 am

That's a great vid frontallobe, thanks! Our resto druid has a habit of topping healing meters and bragging endlessly, so if I could beat him that would be most good...

I like your short duration buff tracker addon too, can you tell me what it is?

Ahh thanks man. If one person finds it helpful then it's worth it for me. Thanks for saying so. The short countdown bars I'm using are NeedToKnow - I put together the settings and addons in a "pack" via curse. Hope this helps -- http://www.curse.com/addon-packs/wow/frontallobe -- on the right there's a download saved variables file that should set it up like how I have mine and of course you can tweak from there or just set up from scratch yourself. Cheers! --Jay
frontallobe

Postby Darielle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:34 pm

The other thing that can be taken advantage of is that Rain of Blades can be Dodged/Parried/Block. Stuff like Evasion or Die By the Sword means that any dicey ones can be dealt with much easier.
Darielle

Postby frontallobe » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:53 pm

The other thing that can be taken advantage of is that Rain of Blades can be Dodged/Parried/Block. Stuff like Evasion or Die By the Sword means that any dicey ones can be dealt with much easier.

I had no idea. I'm going to update the video's annotation. This is awesome to know for personal CD management.
frontallobe

Postby Rhagen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:54 pm

Just killed this tonight, Solo tanking as Prot Paladin makes it very easy, cc'd 1 mender 1 blademaster 2 trappers
Pretty easy once we switched to 1 tank went down pretty quick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbHL91Os8pY
Rhagen

Postby superworm » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 am

I'm wondering what is the exact mechanism of choosing the wind bomb targets. It seems the boss prefers ranged targets, which could mean:
(1) the boss will always cast wind bomb on people who are NOT in melee, unless there are less than x people outside (e.g. Magmaw parasite mechanism) or
(2) the boss will always cast wind bomb on ranged classes and healers.

If (1) is the case, then wind bomb will be trivial to deal with. Any idea?
superworm

Postby Hespherus » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:54 am

He casts wind bombs on all ranged and healers(but monks) disregarding their position, ergo dont let your ranged and healers stay in melee range if you dont want bad things to happend.
Hespherus

Postby Chronos » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 am

Now that it's been a few weeks, have any of your groups switched to only two or one cc targets? My group cc'd one of each with 1t/3h and were all dead as the boss fell over. The bottom three dps are simply low and not going to improve much. Also I see some 150 ret pallies some 20-25k dps ahead of my good dps on world of logs so i was wondering if leaving all three of one class up would help us next week or if its more trouble than its worth. Thanks all!
Chronos

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)