Remove Advertisements

Twice as much damage taken as a Warrior tank

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Twice as much damage taken as a Warrior tank

Postby pbean » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 pm

Sorry if I posted this in the wrong section, I couldn't really decide where else to put it.

I just did Will of the Emperor (normal) and afterwards I was looking at recount. To my surprise, I had twice (!) as much damage taken as the other tank, a Warrior. He explained to me that he basically had a 100% up-time on his shield block, and permanently blocking with critical block (60% damage reduction). But I find it hard to believe that Warriors can just casually take twice less (physical) damage and get away with it. Also, I figured Shield of the Righteous would account for some physical damage reduction as well.

Granted, he was a lot better at dodging the strikes than me. I didn't get hit by them that much, but I did have trouble maintaining my rotation. Therefore, the up-time of Shield of the Righteous was only 34.3%.

Looking at recount, most damage taken was just Melee from the boss, and the big difference was in Melee damage taken as well.

Inspecting some other logs, I also see I got twice as much damage taken on the Stone Guards, where I tanked two bosses and he the one. But one only does 90% of damage, right, so it should be closer to 1.1 times, instead of 2 times?

Does anyone know what might be going on here?
Last edited by pbean on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pbean

Re: Twice as much damage taken as a Warrior tank

Postby Extermi » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 am

As I see it, you took 8 Mio more damage but also did 11 Mio more healing - part of it are sacred shield absorbs. So, I would not be too concerned and rather focus on putting out more opportunistic strikes :-)
Extermi

Postby jere » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:48 am

There's also something to be said about the importance of that metric. While the total damage taken can be useful for figuring out things, it doesn't really look at the damage distribution. For example, a lot of us gear using the exp/hit mentality so we can control when ShoR is used much better. This is gonna lead to more "overall" damage taken, but if it is done so that the bigger spikes of damage are what are typically mitigated, then the healers will take notice of that and you will "feel" easier to heal in a lot of cases, regardless of the total damage taken.

I can't see your logs from here (blocked) so I don't know if that applies, but it is just something to consider.
jere

Postby Lastwolf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:00 am

I took 4 million damage less than you in the last will of the emperor's fight and I took 3 less debuff swings, 2 more stomps, there might be something to that, your co-tank only took 2 arcs no stomps.

That debuff is a real bitch especially if you got it stacked once or twice.

Overall, I wouldn't worry about it, just get better at dodging.
Lastwolf

Postby Gab » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:01 pm

In addition to the importance of dodging the debuff, a blind suggestion as I can't look at the logs atm, what really helped me reduce my damage taken relative to our bear tank (savage defense is insane for TDR and skewing meters in his favor) is optimizing the ShoR buff and cooldowns to periods when there is no combo being performed.

ShoR's damage reduction does nothing for you during the combo as long as you are avoiding arcs as you should be. You can have a higher uptime outside of combos and just use the combos to rebuild your HP.

Also using your cooldowns so they don't have a significant portion of their duration left going into a combo is very helpful. Example, a Titan Gas starts in 6 seconds and a combo 6 seconds after that. Using a cooldown 4 (or 6 etc... depending on the cd) seconds prior to the Titan gas so that the CD ends as the combo begins will get you more total damage reduction and help to insure you have plenty of health going into the Titan Gas phase.

You might be doing all this, but it really helped me. IIRC our first kill my bear co-tank took ~40% less damage than I did, now that I'm more carefully managing CDs and AM it's closer to ~10% less damage.
Gab

Postby zefter » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:58 am

You never bothered to put weakened blows on your target. There was a nice shaman putting it up for you now and then, but he wasn't on the boss full time. That's an additional 10% physical damage right there.

I don't see twice damage taken for your Stone Guards, at least in that log. You took 40k and he took 38k.
zefter

Return to Basic Training & Talents