Valor reward discussion

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Valor reward discussion

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 am

no, but it will help

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:39 am

Koatanga wrote:Sorry, why does there need to be incentive to do dailies? I understand that Bliz feels the need to make us grind rep, but why is dailies THE mechanism for it?

Read Theck's replies for a basic run down.

In essence dailies is "solo level 90 questing content," something that has been asked for repeatedly by a subsection of the player population, with each reputation faction telling a progressive story. Since it is a new form of end game content they're putting rewards of end game quality on it.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am

halabar wrote:In my raid group, we have a boomer/tree that is struggling to gear up both specs, and a few others who have time commitments that hinder the rep grinding. Making some adjustments to the current system could really help.

In my raid group I don't care if people do rep stuff, as long as they're making an effort to be heroic dungeon geared I'm happy. Which seems to be sorting itself out now.

Blizzard said Rep grinding for group play is not mandatory so I'm passing that along.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Flex wrote:Blizzard said Rep grinding for group play is not mandatory so I'm passing that along.

It's not mandatory to have 10 people in a 10-man raid, either, but you'd be stupid not to, and some of the DPS checks would be impossible or nearly so with entry-level gear.

Flex wrote:In essence dailies is "solo level 90 questing content," something that has been asked for repeatedly by a subsection of the player population, with each reputation faction telling a progressive story. Since it is a new form of end game content they're putting rewards of end game quality on it.

Repetitive dailies is not new, nor is it "solo level 90 questing content". We had max-level dailies in BC. There were max-level dailies in both Wrath and Cata as well. Nothing new there at all. Firelands dailies told a progressive story. Nothing new there.

What's new is forcing raiders to go through this slog of daily doldrums in order to "unlock" VP rewards in order to spend the VPs that they earn raiding.

I don't care if they want to offer leet purpz at exalted for doing 43 days of boring quests. Good for the people who last that long without putting a bullet through their computer.

But people who are not of that masochistic subsection should not have to grind rep to cash in the rewards earned outside of questing. We've earned the valour points; let us spend them.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Simple solution is don't do it.

If it is an aspect of the game you don't find fun don't fucking do it.

I don't feel and sympathy for people who use the words "force" or any of the various phrasings that make it sound that if you don't do it you can't play the game.
Flex

Postby Darielle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm

I take issue with that claim. In Burning Crusade, Badges of Justice didn't actually fill in any gaps at the cutting edge raid level. The item level was for 5 man heroics/10 man raids, not actual raids on the SSC/TK level. Even when they upgraded the gear, it was due to the release of Zul'Aman, a 10 man instance, and brought things up to that level, whereas 25 man raiding was still ahead. The whole "fill in the gaps" for raiding purposes didn't happen until Wrath.

The JP items in the Sunwell patch were 141 items; only Archimonde and Illidan drops were actually higher.
The itemisation on most of them was ~, but it was enough to make a lot of them better than the drops in BT/Hyjal, and they were selected to fill in holes that were harder to fill from raids at the time. The caster dagger for example, which was there to fill in the itemisation hole where non-sword casters had no option between Prince and Naj/Hyjal Trash.

With that said, the "fill in the gaps" was also completely taken over in Wrath. At that point, it started becoming about putting in items of slot types that they didn't want "cluttering loot tables", which slowly evolved into what we had in Cataclysm where entier slots just had nothing in the raid tier.

I don't feel and sympathy for people who use the words "force" or any of the various phrasings that make it sound that if you don't do it you can't play the game.

And the sad part is that a semantics objection overrides the major design point where when something is there and does incentivise doing X (power jump), it will happen. If something's meant to be an "alternate progression path", it has to actually be an alternate progression path, and not just be something that adds on to the "main progression path" to progress a person further; at that point it blurs into the "main progression path".

It's in the same playing field as the many design decisions they've made to remove the things people were incentivised into doing - like 10-man/25-man lockouts, farming for Black Lotus, Blasted Lands consumables etc. Dangling a carrot and then telling people they don't have to chase the carrot is just poor form.

A Valor Cap can fuel a common progression path from various activities. You can raid and get Valor. You can do Dailies and get Valor. You can do Scenarios and get Valor. You can LFR and get Valor. You can do Dungeons and get Valor.
If any of those activities only gives you 400 Valor for all your efforts (raiding), pushing you into Dailies/Scenarios/Dungeons to have to get the majority of it, then it's not really fulfilling the point of alternate progression.

So yes, it's absolutely right that in approaching it, they need to preserve the element of "alternate progression" and keep Dailies whole for those who view Dailies as the thing they do.
It's also absolutely right that it's a problem situation in just how badly people who aren't looking for Dailies as a progression path get bumped into them for an arbitrary reason. This compounds onto the fact that they removed Dungeon Tabards because they didn't want Dungeons dipping Rep, Valor and Loot, but they're just pushing an even more extreme situation with Dailies by having even more dipping through Rep, Valor, Loot, Patterns, Raid-Quality Enchants, Flavour Items, Cooking all working off that system.
Darielle

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:02 pm

Darielle wrote:
I take issue with that claim. In Burning Crusade, Badges of Justice didn't actually fill in any gaps at the cutting edge raid level. The item level was for 5 man heroics/10 man raids, not actual raids on the SSC/TK level. Even when they upgraded the gear, it was due to the release of Zul'Aman, a 10 man instance, and brought things up to that level, whereas 25 man raiding was still ahead. The whole "fill in the gaps" for raiding purposes didn't happen until Wrath.

The JP items in the Sunwell patch were 141 items; only Archimonde and Illidan drops were actually higher.
The itemisation on most of them was ~, but it was enough to make a lot of them better than the drops in BT/Hyjal, and they were selected to fill in holes that were harder to fill from raids at the time. The caster dagger for example, which was there to fill in the itemisation hole where non-sword casters had no option between Prince and Naj/Hyjal Trash.

With that said, the "fill in the gaps" was also completely taken over in Wrath. At that point, it started becoming about putting in items of slot types that they didn't want "cluttering loot tables", which slowly evolved into what we had in Cataclysm where entier slots just had nothing in the raid tier.

Right, they did add stuff when Sunwell came out, I forgot about that. But still then the gear was T6 equivalent, where the current endgame was a whole tier ahead. The point I was trying to make is that the original incarnation of badge gear simply wasn't for cutting edge raiders to fill in their gaps, it was for people to play catchup.

And yes, in Wrath they changed it to be endgame equivalent. I was taking issue with the claim that the "original purpose" was to fill in gaps for raiders.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:33 pm

does it really matter what something was originally meant for?
i mean ffs if we start that, only ~1% will see the top tier raid (vanilla naxx)
and dungeons will take upwards of 3-4 hours

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Darielle » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:47 am

Right, they did add stuff when Sunwell came out, I forgot about that. But still then the gear was T6 equivalent, where the current endgame was a whole tier ahead. The point I was trying to make is that the original incarnation of badge gear simply wasn't for cutting edge raiders to fill in their gaps, it was for people to play catchup.

And yes, in Wrath they changed it to be endgame equivalent. I was taking issue with the claim that the "original purpose" was to fill in gaps for raiders.

Sort of. The point in the Sunwell patch was to catch up on any slots that you might be missing from BT or there was an itemisation hole. While Wrath initially had Valor offer 213 which was same as Naxx-25, that soon was not actually endgame-equivalent when Heroics (or Hard Modes in Ulduar) actually became a thing. Even at release, Sarth-3D and Maly offered better items (Naxx wasn't really "cutting edge endgame").
Darielle

Postby jere » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:41 am

Well, the reason for what they did with Badges of Justice was at least promoted by Blizzard as a means for guilds to gear up new players so they didn't have to run new folks through old raid instances until they were geared up. A lot of this was done when they started taking out attunements as well. I won't say that raiders didn't use those pieces to fill in gaps, but the reasoning Blizzard used was more along the lines of helping out guilds that raid get new folks in and ready to go.
jere

Postby degre » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:14 am

jere wrote:Well, the reason for what they did with Badges of Justice was at least promoted by Blizzard as a means for guilds to gear up new players so they didn't have to run new folks through old raid instances until they were geared up. A lot of this was done when they started taking out attunements as well. I won't say that raiders didn't use those pieces to fill in gaps, but the reasoning Blizzard used was more along the lines of helping out guilds that raid get new folks in and ready to go.

Making them raid viable without giving them current content raid gear. Same purpose nowadays can be achieved by running heroics and LFR.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby jere » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:10 am

Except that the Badge of Justice system was deterministic while heroics and even more so LFR are random. When gearing new people fast, you want as deterministic of a system as you can to speed up the process.

Mind you I am not arguing for or against the system. I tend to do rep grinds, dailies, heroics, LFR, and raiding anyways, so any system works for me.

My only major complaints with the system as is are:
1. Golden Lotus really needs to be revamped, especially the tie to Shadow Pan and AC.
2. At this current time, it makes no sense to say heroics/rep grinds are separate paths when the currency for the some of the rep grind rewards also come from heroics and don't have any other really viable options to spend aside from rep based items. This will change in 5.1 obviously.

I think if there were other things you could spend valor on, then it would be easier to say they are separate paths of progression.
jere

Postby twinkfist » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:39 am

to be honest...i sort of wish they would bring in dailies for items that you can not get anymore...or specific dailies to your class or whatever.

as a blacksmith...i'm unable to be able to make Stormherald or Bloodmoon anymore (made all three at the end of BC...if i knew then what i know now...yeah, i wouldn't have vendored them).

Give me dailies to get stuff to transmog that doesn't have a purpose...as odd as it sounds...i wouldn't mind it because it's something that's vanity.

but to get the 489 shoulders...i never want to kill another sprite that's stealing beer or kill another bird for their feathers.

i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
twinkfist

Postby halabar » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:53 am

twinkfist wrote:but to get the 489 shoulders...i never want to kill another sprite that's stealing beer or kill another bird for their feathers.

i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.

lol
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:21 pm

Darielle wrote:

Sort of. The point in the Sunwell patch was to catch up on any slots that you might be missing from BT or there was an itemisation hole. While Wrath initially had Valor offer 213 which was same as Naxx-25, that soon was not actually endgame-equivalent when Heroics (or Hard Modes in Ulduar) actually became a thing. Even at release, Sarth-3D and Maly offered better items (Naxx wasn't really "cutting edge endgame").

Yeah but heroic mode is like endgame+. Point is that in Wrath it offered gear of the same item level that was obtainable in the latest dungeon.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General