Current trinket choice

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Current trinket choice

Postby Imbaq » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:40 am

I just switched my control gems/enchant from Exp/mastery to Exp/haste and while i was doing that something just crossed my mind, I've been using both iron protector talisman and heart of fire as my tanking trinkets (only avoidance trinkets in heroic, tanks blizz).

The big question is, with Expertise and Haste being so valuable to us right now, and strength giving us parry, could Lei Shin's Final Orders (static haste, str proc) and Lessons of The Darkmaster (static Expertise, str active) be considered valid upgrades from both trinkets mentioned above ?

The biggest downside would be the huge stam loss. but the huge amounts of static expertise and haste is really making me consider it, any toughs ?
Imbaq

Re: Current trinket choice

Postby theothersteve7 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:07 am

When facing content that your gear is barely adequate for, stam is king.

If you're picking out pre raid trinkets for raiding, you likely fall into that category. I personally feel it's hard to justify a trinket that doesn't have stamina. Dragonling excepted.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Imbaq » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:28 am

theothersteve7 wrote:When facing content that your gear is barely adequate for, stam is king.

If you're picking out pre raid trinkets for raiding, you likely fall into that category. I personally feel it's hard to justify a trinket that doesn't have stamina. Dragonling excepted.

I'm currently 483 ilvl, 478 equipped with my current prot gear (i don't mean to sound rude, just to clarify this discussion is not about pre-raiding gear, but about what would be the best choice among what i have ATM) . i already ditched my hybrid stam gems because my healers were saying that i wasn't getting spiked at all (thats the whole point of the control build). I feel like the current amount of hp that we should have is something around 500-550k and anything above that is a waste of good stats we could be using somewhere else.
Imbaq

Postby Schroom » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:40 am

My absolute favorite is the Shado Pan trinket, finally got it a couple of days ago.

then, if you need a second stam trinket, there is one that drops in heroics with a dodge procc.
a great alternative would be the pvp trinket with > 1k mastery and >50k health on use, which gives you a nice last stand.
Schroom

Postby Winkle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:00 am

I would disagree with the 500-550k hp as being a good target, here's me dieing on Blade Lord in 1.8 secs:

[20:13:41.084] Blade Lord Ta'yak hits Winklewonder 151415
[20:13:42.772] Blade Lord Ta'yak hits Winklewonder 115703 (A: 18461)
[20:13:42.821] Blade Lord Ta'yak Overwhelming Assault Winklewonder 175545 (O: 82671) (more)

That's 440k in under 2 seconds. Obviously i wasn't at full health before the 1st strike, but some of the bosses do hit hard.
Winkle

Postby Brokenone » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:12 am

You should have at least a ShoR up for Overwhelming Assaults (particularly the last one before a tank swap), if not another CD as well. Raw HP isn't the only thing to look at when you die.
Brokenone

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:01 am

I tend to pop a CD of some sort before the hit comes in, I survived the 3 stack hit twice with nothing but SS and DP on (don't recommend it though).

530k unbuffed seems fine to me for me as it nets out to about 620k or so with all buffs, haven't had any issues that weren't caused by gross stupidity.
Lastwolf

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:51 am

Imbaq, you're about 20 ilvls higher than I intended that advice for. You are completely correct as far as I know.

I like the DMC, why don't I see it mentioned much?
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby lifeonmars » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Can anyone confirm whether or not the Shado-pan Valor trinket and the trash drop trinket which are both identical (with the same spell id on the use apparently) lock each other out completely for the full 1 minute, or simply trigger the shared trinket cooldown?

The reason I'm interested is that for most content (barring situational cases), I've settled on going full secondary in gems and double stam in trinket slots (MSV trash drop + DMF trinket) to maximize stat budgeting (sta to secondary trade being 3:4 on gems but 3:2 on trinkets).
lifeonmars

Postby theothersteve7 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:15 am

A monk in my guild confirmed it. Haven't bought the trinket yet myself.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby lifeonmars » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:26 am

theothersteve7 wrote:A monk in my guild confirmed it. Haven't bought the trinket yet myself.

Totally locking each other out, or just the shared trinket cooldown?
lifeonmars

Postby Jaitee » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 pm

lifeonmars wrote:
theothersteve7 wrote:A monk in my guild confirmed it. Haven't bought the trinket yet myself.

Totally locking each other out, or just the shared trinket cooldown?

can confirm using one puts the other on a 15 second CD so with both you have a 50% uptime
Jaitee

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice