[10N] Sha of Fear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10N] Sha of Fear

Postby frontallobe » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:15 am

Hope this helps people working on Sha. I put together all the tips / tricks we learned over the 13 wipes it took us. I did the video in the hopes that you can learn from our mistakes and get him in less pulls. Good luck and please put any tips you used in this thread for others. Let all of us get on to the heroic modes we crave. Go go

http://youtu.be/jCho8D1A7Zk
Last edited by frontallobe on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Re: [10N] Sha of Fear

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:17 am

There really isn't much to tanking the Sha, just be sure you are pooling resources for active mitigation until the boss gets Thrash. The difference between tanks who are doing it right/wrong will be painfully obvious for that reason alone--you take almost no damage when you're doing it correctly. On one of our wipes last night I survived an entire tank rotation on the Sha with no healer when mine died to Death Blossom. 3 healing will mean you have one healer essentially standing around doing nothing on the Sha's platform, so take 2 because you'll need the extra DPS.

For the Golden Lotus adds you need pretty solid DPS to make it back to the platform in time before the next group gets ported. We were caster heavy, so not many players could actually utilize the resource regeneration buff from the orbs. Eventually we settled on the healer/tank each taking the orbs on half of the platform and our few melee DPS grabbing any that were close to the add. Healers should exploit the crazy regen buff and just spam their fast inefficient heals. Death Blossom is physical damage, so you can also use Hand of Protection to leave someone in line of sight to continue picking up orbs and/or DPSing.
baleogthefierce

Postby PsiVen » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:33 pm

If you 3-heal, you will still have enough DPS going to the platforms but ONLY if you get back before the next Cackle every single time. But there is no reason to 3-heal, it will just lead to getting swamped by Terrors and both of the 2 healers you bring will get tons of mana regen from platform orbs.

Basically the whole fight is grabbing orbs and DPSing the platform adds quickly enough to get back. The better you do at this the better the transitions will be and the fewer Terrors will be up.

To be quite honest I feel like they developed the Heroic version of the fight first and then just took out the extra phase for normal mode, not the other way around.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Auracle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Hey folks,

Got a few attempts in on this this past weekend, and seem to be handling the archer platforms and most mechanics just fine.

What I'm curious about is the Terror minions on the Sha platform. How many are folks keeping alive, and has anyone figured out a 'sweet spot' for keeping ahead of them on damage such that damage on the boss is sufficient, and add damage doesn't overwhelm the raid?

From our point of view, we found that having any more than 4 alive was starting to impede all activity on the Sha platform due to the obscene amount of shadowy bolts going out. Hadn't reallly come up with a good strat for staying on top of them tho, as we only had a few attempts and were still sorting out deaths to Death Blossom and nubbery on the Sha's Breath.

Thanks in advance for any help!

-Auracle
Auracle

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:38 pm

We just had our DPS burn them until the damage buff fell off, then everyone jumped back on the Sha. That was usually enough to clean up most of them on each round.
baleogthefierce

Postby Darielle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 pm

What I'm curious about is the Terror minions on the Sha platform. How many are folks keeping alive, and has anyone figured out a 'sweet spot' for keeping ahead of them on damage such that damage on the boss is sufficient, and add damage doesn't overwhelm the raid?

Damage on the boss is really not an issue. His Berserk is huge when you look at just how tiny his health pool is. THe fight is basically designed around a lot of time being spent on the adds.

The way we wound up doing it was basically the dps on the main platform basically killed adds when 2/3/4 or more were up, and the team coming in from the platform went and blitzed down the Terrors during Fear immunity and got rewarded with 30 seconds or wahtever on the boss until adds started piling up again.

The Terrors really comes down to your people being ported. The better they are at handling the platform, the sooner they come back (before Death Blossom happens at all is a good aim to shoot for if you can make it), and you'll even get some time where all 10 people are on the platform, adds get nailed, and you can even have 10 people on the boss waiting for his Cackle to happen. The platform, it's good for people to pick quadrants and try and minimise movement.
Last edited by Darielle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darielle

Postby Auracle » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Great guys thanks, will try it this weekend :D
Auracle

Postby daishan » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 am

Is Death Blossom time related then? On our kill we always got it at 20% of add health just assumed we'd get it no matter what. Found it useful to have the tank eat the Blossom and keep taking orbs so the add doesn't heal.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby baleogthefierce » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:11 am

Yup it's time-based. It's a shame that the orbs don't really do anything for all DPSers; if you get a bad combo ported then you'll struggle to drop the add in time to get back before the next group goes out. If you get a melee heavy group (except Ret paladins, grrrr >_<) then it's kind of a breeze thanks to the resource regen.
baleogthefierce

Postby Taeron » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:46 pm

Newb question maybe but how do you spot sha doing thrash? I want to be using my AM for it but couldnt spot any signs on when its coming. Thanks.
Taeron

Postby Darielle » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Taeron wrote:Newb question maybe but how do you spot sha doing thrash? I want to be using my AM for it but couldnt spot any signs on when its coming. Thanks.

He gets a buff after his 3rd swing to indicate his next swing will be a Thrash.

I just count swings from the chat log.
Darielle

Postby Schroom » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 pm

can a Rogue use Smokebomb when Death Blossom is cast, so everybody could stay put and continue to DPS?
Schroom

Postby Korbah » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 pm

baleogthefierce wrote:Yup it's time-based. It's a shame that the orbs don't really do anything for all DPSers; if you get a bad combo ported then you'll struggle to drop the add in time to get back before the next group goes out. If you get a melee heavy group (except Ret paladins, grrrr >_<) then it's kind of a breeze thanks to the resource regen.

I usually heal this since our normal healer has been gone for two or three months, but today I noticed that globes are actually useful for ret paladins as they give HP.
edit: after checking logs, it looks like I was mistaken and it doesn't.. >.<
Last edited by Korbah on Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korbah

Postby Rhiannon » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:56 am

baleogthefierce wrote:Yup it's time-based. It's a shame that the orbs don't really do anything for all DPSers; if you get a bad combo ported then you'll struggle to drop the add in time to get back before the next group goes out. If you get a melee heavy group (except Ret paladins, grrrr >_<) then it's kind of a breeze thanks to the resource regen.

Correction to a 4 month old post but no, death blossom is not time related. The mob casts when it reaches 25%, but if it's already in the middle of a dread spray it will complete it, so if you have high enough dps and it's just started a dread spray when it reaches 25% it will die before the dread spray is completed and so you won't get death blossom.
Rhiannon

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)