5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:57 am

I have a ready-made WeakAuras setup that might make you feel less dufus-y:
http://sacredduty.net/2012/10/23/tankad ... ngs-5-0-5/

(it plays a cash register sound when you hit 5 Holy Power to remind you to use it)
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Andarael » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:38 am

A nice distinctive sound might just cut through the cobwebs - I'll give that a try, thanks. And also thanks for all the work you do, btw.
Andarael

Postby DisRuptive1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 am

Any chance you can list the best enchants for each slot? Sure I can go look and find it but I just got a new shield for my alt and want to know what I should put on it.
DisRuptive1

Postby Schroom » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:38 am

I cna list you the enchants I chose, as I think those are the best alternatives. hoppefully we launch a discussion and maybe I learn something new ^^

Shoulders: inscription ox thingy: 300 Stamina 100 Dodge
cape: 200 Stamina
Chest: 300 Stamina
Bracers: 170 Mastery
Gauntlets: 170 Expertise OR Sha Armor kit (150 Stamina) OR 170 Mastery OR 170 Haste. where I chose Expertise to be the better option right now.
Belt: Beltbuckle
Legs: built by leatherworkers: 430 Stamina and 165 Dodge
Boots: Pandaren's step (140 Mastery + 8% movement speed) OR Sha Armor Kit (150 Stamina) OR Greater Haste (175 Haste) I chose Pandaren's step as the movement speed increase is always very lovely in raids. but I don't know if it stacks with any other movement increase the paladin got already by default. if this isn't the case, I would rather take the Sha Armor Kit for some juicy stamina, or greater haste, depending on gear level and content you do.
Shield: 170 parry
Weapon: I found windsong to be the preferable choice, but also colossus seems to eb an option as soon as 5.1 hits. the weapon chain is an option as well as it gives a nice Expertise push.
Schroom

Postby theckhd » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:48 am

Shoulders: 300 Stam 100 dodge
Cloak: 200 Stam
Chest: 300 Stam (noticing a pattern here?)
Bracers: 170 Mastery (no competitive stamina option)
Gauntlets: 150 Stam (Sha armor kit)
Belt: Buckle up with a Stam gem
Legs: 430 stam 165 dodge
Boots: 150 Stam (Sha armor kit). Pandaren's Step doesn't stack with Pursuit of Justice (or either of our other L15 talents, I think).
Shield: 170 parry (no competitive stam option)
Weapon: I've been using Colossus. The weapon chain is a good potential alternative. Windsong gives you approximately 600 points worth of "stuff" when time-averaged, but it's got the downsides of not being controllable and granting stats that are either useless (crit) or weak compared our most desired stats (Stam/hit/exp >> haste/mastery). IMO the weapon chain is a better enchant than Windsong. River's Song is going to be ~750 dodge rating after time averaging, which is far weaker than the weapon chain if you're going with a control strategy.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby knaughty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:53 pm

I'll try and get some time this weekend to fold in the updates and corrections.

Thanks to all for providing them.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Schroom » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:05 am

thanks Theck.
I gues choosing between stam and Exp also depends on the content one is doing. I'm still in normal mode so I prefer Exp sometimes over full out stamina... but I'm still undecided if I should drop Exp hardcap for full out stamina...

and what about gems. I'm still undecided between
yellow: hit or hit/stam
blue: full stam, hit/stam, exp/stam
red: full expertise, expertise/stam
Schroom

Postby DisRuptive1 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:02 pm

theckhd wrote:Enchants:
Stam

Why enchant so much stamina? Are bosses still able to three shot us?
DisRuptive1

Postby theckhd » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:38 pm

More or less, yes. Many of them hit for 200k after armor mitigation. Some of them have even higher burst (25H Feng hits you for 200k twice every 2 seconds during the shield phase). However, Stamina is a strong stat even against bosses that can't 3-shot you.
theckhd

Postby Robob » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:41 am

Reading this post upon coming back to wow made me all hot and bothered, good to see you are still around knaughty & theckhd!
Robob - Area 52 / Aerie Peak
Robob
Maintankadonor

Postby Showania » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:34 pm

I'm curious of the argument of Colossus vs. River's Song, I personally am not a fan of the rng chance that River's Song could proc and I still get hit regardless, but the absorb of Colossus is rather low, and even in a fight like Stone Guard where I'm being melee'd consistently, I'm seeing roughly only 200K total absorbs from it. Sorry if this was addressed somewhere else but I didn't find it >.>;
Showania

Postby theckhd » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:45 pm

There's some discussion about it in this thread in the Gear forum.
theckhd

Postby DisRuptive1 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:22 pm

SoT proc is tiny, but the DoT is huge - 18k DPS (~20% of our damage) once stacked, in starter raid gear. You can trade that almost exactly 1:1 to healing by switching to SoI and your self-heals get bigger.

You posted this thread on September 20th so I'm not sure if this was made in light of the hotfixes that came out on 10/2/2012.

One of our goals with our active mitigation tanking model is that you have opportunities to trade significant survivability for more damage when maximum survivability isn’t required. This damage gain is intended to be relatively small, and not worth the loss in survivability when actively tanking.

For maximum survivability, Protection Paladins are intended to use Seal of Insight, since it provides a buff to their self-healing, and also provides a significant self-heal on their melee in combination with Vengeance. Unfortunately, when using Seal of Insight, their damage was too low compared to the other tanks. When using Seal of Truth, their damage was too high. So, we’ve increased Protection Paladin damage in general to compensate for Seal of Insight’s relatively low output, while simultaneously reducing the damage of Seal of Truth to bring it into line.

• Holy Wrath now deals 100% more damage.
  • Avenger's Shield now deals 50% more damage.
  • Seal of Truth and Censure now deal 80% less damage for Protection Paladins only.
Source

Just wanted to make sure this was taken into account.
DisRuptive1

Postby econ21 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:35 am

DisRuptive1 wrote:Just wanted to make sure this was taken into account.

Yes, good point - which seal should we use? Answer is now SoI period.

Also, in the glyph section, glyph of battle healer is mandatory. It is ridiculously powerful for a glyph (which are not supposed to be "no brainers").
econ21

Postby Gab » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:03 am

econ21 wrote:Also, in the glyph section, glyph of battle healer is mandatory. It is ridiculously powerful for a glyph (which are not supposed to be "no brainers").

That's a little bit absolute. On most encounters it's going to be one of your go to options. But On fights where the ranged/healers are regularly at more than 30 yards away and/or your healers aren't having trouble with raid damage, especially if your group is light on melee, it's not as clear a winner. Or where healing can be detrimental, Amber-Shaper's Parasitic Growth for example, other glyphs could be better options.

Don't get me wrong it's a very powerful glyph and in most encounters/situations you're going to want to use it, but I wouldn't necessarily call it Mandatory. So it's not really a "no-brainer" in a strict sense.
Gab

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents