Making Gold on the AH

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Making Gold on the AH

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:30 am

Ghost Iron to Trillium transmutes had a good rate of return, 60 gold for 20 ghost iron ore and 120ish gold for one trillium bar, but now people are cratering the cost of Trillium.

Got a couple x5 transmute procs on Trillium and made a quick 1300 gold.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:19 am

Flex wrote:Ghost Iron to Trillium transmutes had a good rate of return, 60 gold for 20 ghost iron ore and 120ish gold for one trillium bar, but now people are cratering the cost of Trillium.

Got a couple x5 transmute procs on Trillium and made a quick 1300 gold.

Hmm... need to do some analysis of the current prices, and see where the sweet spots are. Living Steel is not great as there are too many alchemists, but there might be middle options that work out.

Likely need to monitor AH for botter ore.. no time to mine it myself.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am

Need to pick a new profession for my soon-to-be-90 shammy to replace skinning (the leather market has cratered, with exotic down to under 1G last night).

I'm leaning towards JC, as I don't have a JCer that can reliably get the new meta patterns. My 90s are tailor/scribe, eng/miner and the shammy that is alch/skinner.

My 85s (that will all likely remain 85) are 2 JC, 3 Alch, Ench, Herb, Scribe.

No way am I doing LW, Eng, BS from scratch, so that leaves JC, Scribe, Herb and Enchant as options for the Shammy.. thoughts?

halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:48 pm

Note on the BMAH, seen the first auctions that are going for longer than 24 hours, one being a 483 gun I'm bidding on.

Also, Ashes of Alar is up now, with bidding at 200k this morning when I checked, with at least 12 hours to go.

halabar

Postby sahiel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:00 pm

halabar wrote:Also, Ashes of Alar is up now, with bidding at 200k this morning when I checked, with at least 12 hours to go.

Realm transfer inc!
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:05 pm

sahiel wrote:
halabar wrote:Also, Ashes of Alar is up now, with bidding at 200k this morning when I checked, with at least 12 hours to go.

Realm transfer inc!

Just leave my gun alone... :D

halabar

Postby sahiel » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:41 pm

halabar wrote:
sahiel wrote:

Realm transfer inc!

Just leave my gun alone... :D

Heh you're welcome to it, I swear it's the *only* thing that's been up on my realm, I've seen 4 normal ones and 2 heroic ones at *least*, it's up every few days, really weird.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:29 am

sahiel wrote:
halabar wrote:
sahiel wrote:Just leave my gun alone... :D

Heh you're welcome to it, I swear it's the *only* thing that's been up on my realm, I've seen 4 normal ones and 2 heroic ones at *least*, it's up every few days, really weird.

First gun I've seen. Won it, paid a but much but considering the annoyance of LFR end bosses, it's worth it for a non-raiding toon.

Didn't see what the mount went for, got home too late. Interesting that the gun was 48 hours (or 36?) but the mount was 24.

halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:54 pm

I'd love to see a graph showing the amount of player held gold throughout the xpac. I'm wondering if the BMAH is sucking out more than dailies and such are generating. If so, it's possible that 10k minimums will eventually be too high.

Makes me also wonder if Blizz would change the starting bids or maybe introduce some sort of dynamic system that bases it on player gold (kind of like how vendors work in FFXI.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:41 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'd love to see a graph showing the amount of player held gold throughout the xpac. I'm wondering if the BMAH is sucking out more than dailies and such are generating. If so, it's possible that 10k minimums will eventually be too high.

Nope, mainly because they aren't serving up enough items of interest to make a goblin go broke. Even with the high-price rare mounts, there's on or so on a server every 2-3 weeks.. that's not going to drain the gold.

The thing that might actually happen is that the BMAH wakes up goblins that had been on the fence due to nothing to spend their gold on. Now that some items are available, they may get back in the game.

Blizz does need to look at some of the starting bids though, mainly the rare pets. The rare pet market on my server has crashed, most rares sell for under 1k, so who is going to pay 10k at the BMAH?

halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:44 pm

halabar wrote:Nope, mainly because they aren't serving up enough items of interest to make a goblin go broke. Even with the high-price rare mounts, there's on or so on a server every 2-3 weeks.. that's not going to drain the gold.

Maybe this is true for the goblins, but if people get to 10k and start making bids on the BMAH, that reduces the total available gold for the goblins to obtain as well. I understand most people aren't going to bid on the pets (since the regular AH makes most of them common enough that they buyout for far less than 10k) but there is plenty of unobtainable tmog gear, of level raiding gear, mounts and whatever else they sell.

So, sure, maybe the goblins only spend 1 mil every so often, but how quickly can they rebuild it if nobody else has the gold to pay the normal AH prices for things (combined with the current overavailability of mats?)
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Zalaria » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:37 pm

But the BMAH only takes out one or two players' gold per day. Except for the huge days, I bet more is made from dailies across the people who would buy goblin goods on the same day. The BMAH would definitely have a slowing effect, but I would be amazed if it slowed so much that it really had much effect.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:20 pm

That's why I'd like to see a chart. I'm not saying it is putting in a dent, but IF it is, then I wonder what their plans are for the starting price.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:44 pm

I suspect, other than the very rare high price item (ashes of a'lar) and heroic (509) gear on servers with rival guilds going for world first (top 100 maybe?) kills, the BMAH has a negligible effect on almost all realms. The amount of gold it removes from the economy is a mere drop in the ocean of that dailies earns, I actually spent a while recently asking people in guild and both on trade/general chat about how much they make from dailies and whilst it ranged from from 100-700g per day the average was around 400g per player, over scores of players (and that's on a rather dead faction). Once you consider both factions and especially more populated servers I think the odd 10k, 20k, maybe even 40k or 50k every few days wouldn't even be noticable, it's the same as if someone crafts a JC mount or a Sandstone drake.

Whilst the amount goblins are able to earn is certainly down from the heady days of Cata it's far from low, I don't even bother to log on every day anymore and barely post more than once a day if I do log on and I've made somewhere in the region of 200k or so profit since MoP started, on a relatively quiet realm, the serious goblins who spend more time and effort on the AH will have made far, far more.
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:59 pm

But how many people are going to keep up that pace once they no longer need the faction rep or have other sources of VP?

For me personally, I'm down to needing 3 reps: AC, SP and Klaxxi. That's what, around 16 dailies? x20 gold each, that's ~320g. Once I've capped the reps, I personally won't be doing those reps (and I'm sure the same holds true for a large number of players.) Do heroics, LFR and non-LFR raiding make up the difference in gold acquisition (especially considering I'm already currently using LFR/heroics to get VP caps?)
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General