Patch 5.1

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.1

Postby Nooska » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:33 am

Yeah, really looking forward to another LFR, just for the VP (and teh chance at loot is okay too ofc)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 am

As long as LFR is the most efficient means of VP capping, people will do it. I'm not certain this wasn't a deliberate design choice.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:07 am

fuzzygeek wrote:As long as LFR is the most efficient means of VP capping, people will do it.

Ehhhh not necessarily true.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:08 am

Elitist! :P
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:12 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Elitist! :P

*gives you the finger*
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:01 am

fuzzygeek wrote:As long as LFR is the most efficient means of VP capping, people will do it. I'm not certain this wasn't a deliberate design choice.

It's not, Challenge modes are the most efficient :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:40 am

Worldie wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:As long as LFR is the most efficient means of VP capping, people will do it. I'm not certain this wasn't a deliberate design choice.

Dungeons and then dailies are (until you have enough coins and are finished with the rep).

LFR is the WORST way to cap valor. Ever spend 90 minutes on Will?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nooska » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:42 am

^^ Once, by shere stubbornness I stuck it out while at least half the raid was replaced ... twice..
No way was i jumping ship and requeueuing just to risk ending up in a similar situation.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:43 am

Nooska wrote:^^ Once, by shere stubbornness I stuck it out while at least half the raid was replaced ... twice..
No way was i jumping ship and requeueuing just to risk ending up in a similar situation.

Last weekend was really, really bad.. if I wasn't after the drops, no way would I have stayed.

halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Worldie wrote:

I actually thought of this, and I should have clarified : I would still disagree that Challenge Modes are the most efficient for a guild (or raid group) as a whole, unless your guild makeup is such that you can perfectly form enough Challenge Mode Groups to run everyone through to cap. I suspect this will not be the case for most sets. It certainly isn't for me -- in my guild I have 3 tanks, 11 DPS, and 5 healers.

halabar wrote:LFR is the WORST way to cap valor. Ever spend 90 minutes on Will?

No, but I don't solo queue LFR. You have my sympathies. I always tank and herd cats. The one time I did queue on my warrior alt along with one raider and two alts we did have an 11 minute, 2% wipe on Will while I talked the pug rookie DK tank the fight. We did kill it the second pull. That particular run took an hour, which is why I don't normally queue without a fair number of guildies.

Again, on a personal level dailies or challenge modes might calculate out to more VP/minute. For a 'tweener guild like mine where we can supply 15-20 people out of 25 in LFR and full clear in about an hour, LFR is far faster for us *as a whole*. I don't think we're the only ones in this boat.

Also, I'm unclear on the actual VP rewards for Challenge Modes. Wowhead's article reports 60VP for the first Gold run of the week, with 10VP per additional run, but I suspect this is old and outdated. There's no way in hell 10VP a run could be more efficient than punching out 5VP dailies.

I'm actually trying to find a chart that lists current VP rewards -- is the 90 for LFR for just completion, and do the LFR bosses also award VP? Dungeons were recently buffed somewhat? Scenarios are 30?

I've only done a handful of scenarios and found them to be silly and unenjoyable. But if they're quick, it might be worth doing those instead of something else equally unattractive. I'm going to look at actual numbers once the servers come back up, I guess.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:24 pm

Well, with LFR, the day of the week, and even the time still makes a huge difference. If you have to do it solo on the weekends, it's really fail. Tuesday or Wednesday nights can be pretty smooth.

You also need to factor in the other rewards, whether it be JP, JC pattern drops, and of course the coins.

halabar

Postby Darielle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:34 pm

I'm actually trying to find a chart that lists current VP rewards -- is the 90 for LFR for just completion, and do the LFR bosses also award VP? Dungeons were recently buffed somewhat? Scenarios are 30?

It's only completion. If you compelte it a second time, you get 45 VP.
Darielle

Postby PsiVen » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:52 pm

As far as I'm aware Challenge Mode VP rewards don't diminish if you've already run it that day. I guess I'm not really sure though. Actually running the daily Challenge Mode quest every day is by far the most efficient VP source, though it is limited.

LFR is a nightmare. I will absolutely never go there unless I need specific loot. Every boss kill is another queue because there is zero incentive for people to keep trying or do any bosses at all that they don't need loot from. There's no way it's more efficient for VP than dungeons unless you have a big group going together that guarantees you only need to pick up random DPS.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Darielle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:27 pm

Eh, LFR's always been pretty much the fastest VP gain for a given instance of time from what I've seen. I can get in and out in 20-30 mins and have 90 VP to show for it. Even Challenge mode would really require the Daily and at least Silver level to beat that kind of return.

Mind you, the derp at the start with, say, people failing really hard at LFR Garalon now would alter that kind of time somewhat. But given that it's an additional shot at filling in loot anyway
Darielle

Postby Taeron » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:46 am

Nikachelle wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:As long as LFR is the most efficient means of VP capping, people will do it.

Ehhhh not necessarily true.

Nika, been meaning to ask - how do you go about doing dailies and similar solo stuff since you have prot/holy specs? I was hoping questing in Prot would be at least as smooth as it was in Cata, but I find myself keeping retribution as the obligatory offspec.

In 5.1, more dailies are coming but I feel I'll have to go holy for PvP - so dropping retribution is something I'm considering but last time I killed a vermin on my farm as prot... it just felt painfully long.
Taeron

PreviousNext

Return to General