Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 pm

Being bent out of shape because you have experienced great success, but not "the greatest success" seems silly to me.

Tell that to the Yankees and the Cowboys. (And the Red Sawx Pink Hats)
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Klaudandus wrote:
Being bent out of shape because you have experienced great success, but not "the greatest success" seems silly to me.

^^^

Success: Got Shoju to do statistical analysis to attempt to prove a point in a sports thread.

Edit: Also tell that to the Lakers fans that are in hysteria because the team is 0-2.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:37 pm

Klaudandus wrote:

Oh trust me. They irk me too.

Though I'm realizing, that Ohio has it's own version of the "Pink Hats" with OSU Fans. There are TONS of crazies out there who are OSU fans. They are split into 2 groups.

1.) The ones that HATE Urban Meyer. They want the old school "Power Running Game" and "Pocket QB with a Cannon Arm". They can't stand the Urban O, even though we are 9-0 his first year, and looking like we'll be undefeated at years end.

Nope. They want that old school type of O back.

2.) The ones that Vomit from their mouth whenever someone suggests that the B1G 10 is not on the same playing field with the SEC. They go nuts and scream and will just about come to blows with you over it. Because "THE Ohio State University is the BEST College Football team EVAR. DID YOU HEAR ME?! EVAR!

both groups also contains some whackjobs who think that the NCAA blew scandal out of the water, and they try to equate PSU's nightmare to "their nightmare" and that if PSU got bowl banned for that, why did we get a bowl ban?

Ugh. Makes me happy that I'm a BGSU Fan (GO FALCONS!) Now, if only I could see more of their games live...

EDIT:
@Hal,

I love running numbers. I ran tons of them once I was a DK. Thanks to Theck and a few others, I had even put together a pretty decent VB driven Spreadsheet that helped run numbers for my DK.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:39 pm

Shoju wrote:I guess I don't see how 9 playoff appearances and 1 super bowl appearance is coming up short, unless you are saying that since they didn't rattle off 6 super bowls with McNabb, that somehow Reid is a bad Coach.

I don't know that firing him means that think that he's a bad coach. I think it just means that they don't think that they can win a super bowl with him, or that they think that they could improve their chances with someone new.

The goal ought to be to win a super bowl, certainly progress towards that goal is great, but eventually you need to win it. He's been there 13 years, plenty long enough to install his own systems and players several times over. As a franchise they have invested the cash to get good players and they have still come up short. They arguably had the most talented team in the NFL last year but had a terrible season. They could quite likely miss the playoffs this year...that's the wrong direction.

I don't know that I wouldn't give him one more year, especially considering what he's had to deal with this year, but I can certainly understand why they'd want to try out someone else at this point too.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:20 am

Things from sunday football

- Tannehill kinda sucked during the two minute drill
- Luck definitively showed why he went #1 vis a vis RG3
- If Obama loses, we can pin it on RG3 (lol redskin rule -- yeah right). His pseudo trash talk backfired, specially when the Panthers D guy pointed to the scoreboard.
- Pagano's speech -- I was moved...
- Peyton continues with his pony magic
- Bungles onside kick - LOL
- Bears D, wow.
- Falcons only won because Dallas wanted to lose the game more
- Seachickens are surprising me, but then again, I see vikings as just slightly less erratic than the lions
- That said, Ponder has been regressing somewhat
- Disappointed how the Lions have been playing this season, blame the Madden curse?
- Texans should have scored more considering it was the Bills they played against
- Jets didn't lose this week because they had a bye-week =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:47 am

Klaudandus wrote:Things from sunday football

- Tannehill kinda sucked during the two minute drill
- Pagano's speech -- I was moved...
- Peyton continues with his pony magic
- Bungles onside kick - LOL
- Bears D, wow.
- Falcons only won because Dallas wanted to lose the game more
- Seachickens are surprising me, but then again, I see vikings as just slightly less erratic than the lions
- That said, Ponder has been regressing somewhat
- Disappointed how the Lions have been playing this season, blame the Madden curse?
- Texans should have scored more considering it was the Bills they played against
- Jets didn't lose this week because they had a bye-week =P

Here is what I learned from Sunday football.

Pat Shurmur needs to be fired. Now.

- 3rd and 1 = Pass
- 3rd and long = Draw play up the middle, or a designed Swing Screen for 2.
- 4th in one, down by 4 in the fourth quarter on the opponents side of the field? Punt, and say you would do it again.
- 4th and 6 on your own 30 in the fourth quarter on your side of the field? Throw an out route
- Get hit with 2 false start penalties, take time out on the third 1st and long play because you can't get the play in.
- Burn time outs in the third Q on trivial downs because the play isn't in.
- Under 3 minutes to go in the 4th Q, and losing. 3rd and long, your defense has been playing out of it's mind. Call your last timeout ensuring that you get the ball back with 2:40 on the clock, and no time outs when you need 10. Surely, the two minute warning will be enough, AND your opponent has all three timeouts. Yes. Don't make them burn one for you.
- Top pick in the draft is running hard and moving the ball. Abandon the running game completely once you get in the red zone.

I know some of the problems are with the incredibly young team that we field, but this has gone beyond that. I have never seen a coach so intent on making just... mind boggling calls. Even the new owner JHIII looked disgusted at times with the play calling.

I was so irritated with the play calling that after they cut to the end of the bengals / Broncos game, I didn't watch any more football the rest of the day. I saw Manning and the Broncos win, and I saw Shurmur look completely befuddled.

This seems to sum up how most browns fans feel.

On twitter, there is even the #shurmured tag that is loaded with our wonder and awe at his coaching ability.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 8:52 am

Yeah, I don't recall Mangini being as bad as Shurmur, but then again, I don't really follow the browns... I could be wrong...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:58 am

Klaudandus wrote:Yeah, I don't recall Mangini being as bad as Shurmur, but then again, I don't really follow the browns... I could be wrong...

Mangini was conservative in his play calling when it got tough. the "Mangenius" part was missing in Cle. But his play calling was never erratic. It never left you wondering WTF you just witnessed. There was also talent evaluating, and talent cultivating questions with Mangenius.

With Shurmur, we were sold on the "BUT LOOK AT WHAT HE DID WITH SAM BRADFORD!" line. That was the defense of the hiring from the Browns. He was going to develop McCoy.

I'll be surprised (not shocked, but surprised) if he is standing on the sideline for the first game after the bye.
Shoju

Postby Ironshaft » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:37 am

Luck is a stud and while Peyton will always be honored in Indy, I don't think anyone is going to regret the decisions of the past year as a Colts fan.

About my only sour grapes is Irsay saying that Peyton's "health" was not a contract issue and that if he were healthy, he would remain a Colt. That was said about 1/3 - 1/2 of the way into last season when they had no idea that they might have the top draft selection and possibly get Luck. Peyton was obviously let go because of the Colts getting the #1 pick and his health was good enough to retain him. Irsay should never have said that...

But, it probably worked out best for everyone. Peyton was never getting to the SB with the 2011 Colts or any team that looked like them; he might get there with Denver, the Colts needed new management and a fresh start out of the cap hell Polian had put them in; Luck went to a team that he was able to immediately lead to wins when on paper they are a very weak team, Pagano is looking like a genius even though he has not been on the sidelines, Arians is looking like a viable Head Coach canidate, the fan base gets a new QB to obsess over for the next decade, and Irsay is looking like he actually made positive decisions towards the future of his team.

About the only losers in all of this are the Titans and Jags fans who just got over being dominated by Peyton for a decade and now can look forward to being dominated by Luck for the next. Sucks to be them.

IS
Ironshaft

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 am

Just like Peyton will dominate Rivers, Palmer and LOLCassel/Quinn in the West =P
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:00 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:09 am

Andy Reid watch in effect?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Hey Shoju, not sure if this is good or bad
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... mur_g.html
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:33 pm

And apparently, Jerry Jones doesn't want to win a Super Bowl.
http://tracking.si.com/2012/11/07/cowbo ... &eref=sihp
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:43 am

Klaudandus wrote:Hey Shoju, not sure if this is good or bad
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... mur_g.html

After watching the game, I wanted to write a big long rant about how Rich Gannon was a tard, but I kept my mouth quiet on that, but since this article brings it up, let me just tell you, that Rich Gannon is a flaming idiot. He was lambasting Weeden, at times, for absolutely ridiculous things.

Did Weeden look sharp in the game? No. Were there times where he was impressive? absofreakinglutely.

When did Gannon talk? During the bad times. Did he point out the good things he did? Maybe once.

I give Weeden a LOT of grief because of his age. At 29, I'm just not sure that he is "the long term solution". But, To say that he has been awful is a stretch.

Weeden has made good strides. He's also been the victim of a LOT of drops (31 according to the article) But, we have

Rookie QB
Rookie RB
2nd year (technically 3rd, due to injury) backup RB's
2x Rookie WR
1x 2nd year WR
and Mo Mass, who just... can't catch.
We've also got a Rookie RT
1 TE in his second year,
1 Journeyman TE

We aren't exactly brimming with experience.

I knew this season was going to be rough. I knew that we weren't going to win a lot of games, and I'd be ok with it if I felt like Shurmur was part of the solution. But so far, his playcalling decisions leave me wondering if we would be better with a better play caller.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General