Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Nooska » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:04 am

Actually, thats when you should stack stamina - when you are taking "good" amount of damage, stamina is better because it lets the healers plan better and you don't need healing as fast when you take damage.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Heavyhammer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums and somewhat new to prot paladins. I've been following Mr. Robot mostly, but I'm not sure my blind following is really what I should be doing.

Anyway, here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... mer/simple

I know that I've got a few pieces of LFR ret gear on there. I was ret for the entirety of this expansion until this coming raid week. Due to an unfortunate irl incident, we had to remove one of the tanks from the guild. I have now switched over, and I am concerned about using my DPS gear to tank. Mr. Robot is telling me the DPS gear I'm using is acceptable/better than the 463 tanking gear from heroics. I just wanted to come here and make sure I'm not actually very squishy and hurting my guild.

Aside from gear, I feel as though I have the rotation down. It's essentially just generating as much HP as possible and using SotR whenever possible, followed by fillers whenever a HP generator is down.

Any help you guys would be able to offer would be great. If I am in the wrong place or should have started my own thread, please don't hesitate to let me know and I can fix it.

Thanks!
Heavyhammer

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:11 am

Anything with crit on it should be avoided really, but I would make do until something of equal or great item level opens up, the drop in raw stats makes this a bad move, the rest of it is fine for tank if not optimal depending on how you want to set up.

You're over hit cap by a good 1% reforge that down, apart from that you seem fine to me.
Lastwolf

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:30 am

The thing is that some pieces of crit/exp are actually better than dodge/parry pieces just because of how valuable hit and exp are.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nova » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:09 am

Klaudandus wrote:The thing is that some pieces of crit/exp are actually better than dodge/parry pieces just because of how valuable hit and exp are.

Yep, and it can lead to arguments with your fellow plate-wearers.
Nova

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:13 am

Yep, and it can lead to arguments with your fellow plate-wearers.

Well, I'd not obviously take it from my fellow raiders unless they already have that piece of gear -- and its moot in LFR as some really good tanking pieces are flagged for DPS only, so we have no access to them anyways...

Now... I need advice again

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... dus/simple

Don't know what should be my next VP purchase.
---
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:47 pm

Probably the stamina trinket.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Lastwolf » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:20 am

I was trying out some stuff yesterday and I was liking how it felt, I switch to two stamina trinkets if I feel I need to.

Just wondering if I'm totally barking up the wrong tree.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... y/advanced
Lastwolf

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:51 am

theckhd wrote:Probably the stamina trinket.

Well, last night I got http://www.wowhead.com/item=86080

Should I still go for the trinket or should I go with something else? Tank deaths have not been the issue for us, execution is tho...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Treck » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:00 am

A belt with a socket would be a really big upgrade as well, not much luck with the stone guard belt i see. but i'd still go for the trinket, you are not going to replace it anyway.
Treck

Postby theckhd » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Treck wrote:i'd still go for the trinket, you are not going to replace it anyway.

What he said. Best two stamina trinkets this tier are the valor trinket and the Jade Warlord Figurine (or alternatively, the darkmoon card). You won't be replacing the trinket until T15.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby jere » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:01 am

I had heard the cooldowns for both the Jade Warlord and the VP trinket were shared so you lose out on a cooldown if you get both? Obviously that is just what I heard as I don't have either yet. Is that of any merit in trinket selection if so (losing one cooldown)? It might be that the cooldowns don't matter enough yet, but thought I would check as well as I am considering buying the DMFC trinket instead for that reason.
jere

Postby Lastwolf » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:08 am

The clickey is secondary nice bonus to the stamina, I doubt if they shared a cooldown it would put people off.
Lastwolf

Postby Raive » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:47 am

Trying to decide if I should go for shoulders or cloak from VP next, kinda leaning towards the cloak though I need a bit more rep before I can get it (probably little less than a week or so)

Also, is it bad I'm still using the ghost iron dragonling? 600 of each of our best stats just seems so juicy I'm wary of replacing it with the iron protector talisman I have
Raive

Postby daishan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:49 am

If they share a cd it then comes down to weather you value 185 stam above the almost 10% dodge clicky on the DMF trinket. Personally I'd go with the VP trinket and the DMF trinket if the trash drop one shares a cd.
Another thing to consider is the coming upgrade system, can it be used on DMF trinkets?
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice