Remove Advertisements

Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Fishnuts » Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:38 pm

My gear http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/the-forgotten-coast/Fishnuts/advanced

My question is the HH Slicer really our BiS pre-raid? Has some lovely amounts of stam plus expertise and hit, does it outshine the agility and lack of strength?
Fishnuts

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:50 am

Apparently so, if I recall Theckd's graphs, it's only behind weapons from normal raids and above Elegon's LFR weapon.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:53 am

Should I drop my VP into http://www.wowhead.com/item=89420

As per askmrrobot, it's just either #2 or #3 if all you do is normal T14 -- and above Tier chest
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Kozakura » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:25 am

I hate to ask in such a cliche way, but am I doing it right?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... ura/simple

I've gotten many compliments on how I do my runs, as well as how I don't seem to take a boatload of damage. I just want to see if there's any tips towards the way I'm doing it. I've been a retribution/holy paladin since the beginning of Wrath (SoB <33333), but I finally took up the reigns and decided to main tank for my guild. I utilize Mr. Robot quite a bit, but I just wanted to drop in on Maintankadin and see what y'all though. Thanks for your time! :)
Kozakura

Postby daishan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:49 am

Welcome to the forums :)
To put it bluntly your not doing what most of us world consider to be right.
Most ppl like to aim for "control" to do that we need hit cap 7.5% and at least exp soft cap 7.5% after that it's a bit of a choice.
You can go for exp hard cap 15% to reduce the number of dangerous spikes you take from physical dmg.
Mastery to take less while you have SotR up.
Haste so you can keep SotR up more
Stam so your healers have more breathing room.

Dodge and parry are generally pretty bad we have no control over when we avoid the dmg, so most of us are re forging out of them as much as we can or just going for gear without any.

Personally I go for hit and exp soft cap then as much stam and haste as I can.
As your new to tanking going for 7.5% hit> 7.5% exp> mast > stam might be more forgiving as to get the most from more haste you'll need to mash buttons faster.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Kozakura » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:58 am

Hey, I like it forward, so thanks for that! :D

I had noticed the control/mastery build, but I wasn't sure which to go for. That's why I'm here. I want to be as useful as possible to my people, so thank you very much for the input, Daishan! I'll implement these when I get up later today, give it a whirl, and let you know how it feels. Thanks again! :)
Kozakura

Postby Ardain » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:17 pm

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... ain/simple

Curious how im doing im trying to go for max mitigation i seem to be doing ok but i seem squishy in some places.
(Leveling Blacksmithing/Inscription).
Ardain

Postby torrasque » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Should I drop my VP into http://www.wowhead.com/item=89420

As per askmrrobot, it's just either #2 or #3 if all you do is normal T14 -- and above Tier chest

came here to ask this. it is really nice compared to the other one. http://www.wowhead.com/item=89421/cuirass-of-the-twin-monoliths
torrasque

Postby Sagara » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:03 am

Depends on wether you want an upgrade right now, or if you want to plan ahead. THe chest is a very strong piece, but consider the shoulders for one moment: http://www.wowhead.com/item=89346/shoulders-of-autumnlight.

They're just as well rated as the chest. THe only difference is where to find a potential upgrade: the chest can be replaced either with a drop from Galleon or with a crafted item. It's extremely expensive, but a strong item until Heroic raiding. Meanwhile, the Shoulders can only be replaced by a drop from Lei Shi, which will only be accessible God-knows-when.

So yeah. Your best bets are probably either Chest or Shoulders, with the availability of crafted items and/or Galleon vs. speed of progression being the tie breaker.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Loliinacan » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:10 am

Hey all, was wondering what to buy next with Valor. Was thinking either http://www.wowhead.com/item=89420 or http://www.wowhead.com/item=89095. The legs seem like a better upgrade, but the chest does have awesome stats as well. Hrm.

Here is my armory. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/kiljaeden/Loliinacan/advanced

Thanks all!
Loliinacan

Postby econ21 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:39 pm

Bear in mind that the tier legs (and hands) drop from Sha of Anger. And you get two bites at the cherry each week if you use your coin. As a pessimist, I tend to go for the biggest upgrade and not factor in potential drops. But after making the Klaxxi legs my first VP purchase, I soon won the tier legs.
econ21

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Hello,

This is my first post, but I've been following this advice of this great site for quite a while. :)
I'm in a small guild that's just starting raiding in this extension so I'm having a closer look at my stuff. I read the basic guide here, as well as Theck's blog and EJ's guide. Things are looking fine, but when I run my character through Mr Robot with the Haste preset, it wants me to go crazy on Stamina gems... I read on EJ that it was Theck who provided this weighting to Mr. Robot.

I understand this for hard mode, but is it really relevant for normal, 10-man raiding? Here is my character: Jadhzia (EU-Sargeras). I would have thought that more mitigation (haste, mastery) would be more useful than stamina for my healers (who aren't complaining about my health, since I'm doing 30-35% of my own healing), so I fail to understand this stamina-heavy weighting.

At the moment it's a bit hard to find out whether more Stamina would help me in Mogu'shan Vaults, we're still learning the first fight. Thanks for any insight.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby Nooska » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:30 pm

To find out if more stamina would help your raid group progress, you need to analyse the wipes. Are you wiping because you ran out of health (the yes, more stamina will help). Are you wiping because the healers ran out of mana? (then you need to mitigate more damage) are you wiping because someone stood in the fire (generally - then you need to work on execution, and your gearing isn't that relevant).

That being said, the stamina discussion is a very "feely" one. You really need to talk to your healers - if they spam heal you regardless of your health, then you should focus purely on mitigatin (barring getting them to change their play) - if they like to see what happens and try to be a mana efficient as possible, then stamina is king, as they can be more mana efficient because each hit is a smaller part of your total health, so they can be slower in healing you up.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Brokenone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:47 pm

I do 10 mans as well. Honestly, it probably depends on two things. One, how solid your rotation and cooldown usage is. And second, how good your healers are. I very rarely die without other catastrophic things happening first. Because of this, I don't find I need much more Stamina than I get base from gear. I have a Stam meta and one Stam trinket. Everything else is expertise/hit/haste.
Brokenone

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks for your answers. :)

I think my rotation is solid (I understand that stacking haste is useless otherwise) and my healers seem content with my damage taken profile, even though a couple more sessions are necessary to make sure.

We are two tanks in the raid, a warrior and me, which equal gear levels. He takes slightly less total damage than me, but I clearly require much less maintenance thanks to Sacred shield and the self-heals. Our wipes have mostly been because of strategic mistakes, and the healers are hard-pressed mostly because of jasper chains or overload of the wrong dog.

So, with your answers in mind, I'll ignore Mr. Robot's advice to stack stamina and keep stacking haste (first) and mastery (second). We'll see how this goes as we understand the fight better.

Thanks. :)
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice