Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.1

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.1

Postby Mozen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 am

Yeah, there's still the idea of a World First, even though we get our updates two days later than the US realms (our weekly maintenance take place on Thursdays). Looking on the bright side, we get more assurances because the most fatal bugs would have been hotfixed by the time we get our update. :P
Mozen

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:29 pm

Slightly disappointed in the VP upgrade system
Code: Select all
Currency        - Cost -  Item lvl upgrade - Max # of upgrades
Valor Points    - 750  -  4 Item Levels    - 2
Conquest Points - 750  -  4 Item Levels    - 2
Justice Points  - 1500 -  8 Item Levels    - 1
Honor Points    - 1500 -  8 Item Levels    - 1

Item Upgrades
Patch 5.1 will finally implement the item upgrade system that first appeared in beta. The same frame is being used now, with a background that matches the other Ethereal frames, making it likely that this will be another function performed by our Ethereal friends. The window title still says Valor Upgrade, but the game has support for Valor, Conquest, Justice, and Honor points upgrades.

It appears all items that are upgradeable can be upgraded by 8 item levels, but Conquest and Valor points will do it in two steps rather than all at once. The currency used to upgrade an item is set per item, so you cannot use Honor to upgrade Valor Points gear or any other type than what is set for the item.

Source: MMO-champion

The way it seems to work is that you use JP for a single upgrade on Rare quality items -- ie, a 463 ilvl item to 471, whereas VP is used for Epic quality items, having them go from 489 -> 493 -> 497
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:36 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Slightly disappointed in the VP upgrade system
Code: Select all
Currency        - Cost -  Item lvl upgrade - Max # of upgrades
Valor Points    - 750  -  4 Item Levels    - 2
Conquest Points - 750  -  4 Item Levels    - 2
Justice Points  - 1500 -  8 Item Levels    - 1
Honor Points    - 1500 -  8 Item Levels    - 1

Item Upgrades
Patch 5.1 will finally implement the item upgrade system that first appeared in beta. The same frame is being used now, with a background that matches the other Ethereal frames, making it likely that this will be another function performed by our Ethereal friends. The window title still says Valor Upgrade, but the game has support for Valor, Conquest, Justice, and Honor points upgrades.

It appears all items that are upgradeable can be upgraded by 8 item levels, but Conquest and Valor points will do it in two steps rather than all at once. The currency used to upgrade an item is set per item, so you cannot use Honor to upgrade Valor Points gear or any other type than what is set for the item.

Source: MMO-champion

So... what about raid drops? what do you use to upgrade those?

So 8 ilvls would cost you 1500 Valor, which would push a 489 to a 497... ehh... I'll do it when I have the valor sitting there, but not going to Internet-Cafe myself to grind valor to upgrade everything. Probably will save it for weapons.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:38 pm

Not sure how this is gonna work in KR, TW and CN with their new ilvl gear from 25mans...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:52 pm

halabar wrote:So... what about raid drops? what do you use to upgrade those?

Valor Points.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Mozen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:12 am

As a casual player who don't raid every week, my priorities for valor would be to first purchase all the gear I need for the current tier, and only use it to upgrade gear when I'm about to cap valor at 3000 and absolutely have to spend it.

Can't speak for the serious raiders, but I would imagine the same. The fact that there's a weekly valor cap limits our options and forces us to spend our valor in the most efficient way possible. For raiders, it probably means spending it first on off-spec gear, and then upgrade the BiS stuff.
Mozen

Postby Darielle » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:44 am

Serious raiders will have pretty much everything they might need from Valor within a month. Since this is in 5.1, serious raiders already have everything they might possibly buy from Valor, with maybe one purchase or two left in the next week. Upgrading items will pretty much be the par.
Darielle

Postby Stubblerump » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:09 pm

What about 476 raid finder gear? It might be a waste since you could just save up and buy the 489 piece outright. But depending on itemization/just eeking out one last upgrade before the weekly raid, might not be that bad of a use. Anyway, is 476 gear going to be upgradeable also?
Stubblerump

Postby Fetzie » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:45 am

Stubblerump wrote:What about 476 raid finder gear? It might be a waste since you could just save up and buy the 489 piece outright. But depending on itemization/just eeking out one last upgrade before the weekly raid, might not be that bad of a use. Anyway, is 476 gear going to be upgradeable also?

As far as I know, yes.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Lastwolf » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:03 am

So when a new tier comes out you'll have higher itemlevel gear that drops even from the heroic version, mean upgrades won't be upgrades until you have enough valor and with Valor having a small cap you can't stockpile it.

Kinda lame, but I'll be doing it like a chump.
Lastwolf

Postby Darielle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:52 pm

Lastwolf wrote:So when a new tier comes out you'll have higher itemlevel gear that drops even from the heroic version, mean upgrades won't be upgrades until you have enough valor and with Valor having a small cap you can't stockpile it.

Kinda lame, but I'll be doing it like a chump.

?

If you Valor ilvl increase 476 gear, it'll still be less ilvl than Normal mode gear from THIS tier, let alone next tier's Normal Mode items (which will probably be 508?).

Potentially, if you are completely decked out in Heroic gear from this tier (502), bump that 8ilvl (to 510) you'd have to do one upgrade to go from 508 to 512 or whatever, but chances are - the new tier's pieces will have better itemisation, better procs or more sockets anyway.
Darielle

Postby valura » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:28 am

Does this mean they will raise the weekly Valor cap as well? As things are going for me, doing my dailies and stepping into LFR twice a week has me reach the cap without ever setting foot in a heroic. For the sake of argument assume we're starting at 0/3000 Valor, this also means that we can upgrade 1 item the first week, a 2nd one on week 2 and item 3 & 4 on week 3, which resets your Valor back to 0/3000.

Seeing as tankadins have 16 slots that can benifit from upgrades, this means 32 upgrades, or 32/4*3 = 24 weeks or rougly 6 months of spending VP... which seems odd...

This is a hypothetical scenario, based on the fact that I'm no longer fulltime raiding on my pally, but I still want to be there when I'm needed... and I want her to be geared decently...
In tribute to the original Paladin, Charles the Hammer Martel (° 688 - † 22 oct 741).
Bohica (90) BM
Kul Tiras >>> Valura (90) Prot | Hashishin (90) Combat | Arishem (90) Blood | Maurgane (90) Frost | Bova (90) Bear |
| Zannah (90) Resto | Farmingbull (76) Resto | Shoju (51) WW | Wærloga (63) Destro | Dejiko (50) Prot |
Draenor >>> Kenesha (90) Resto | Qedesha (80) Disc | Lanthlasa (52) BM | Xiaohongquan (73) WW |

Jebus what a soul crushing procession of Failures, Septic Tanks, Oxygen thieves and Utter Utter retards. - masterpooba
valura
Maintankadonor

Location: outer ring of the 7th circle of Hell (aka Kul Tiras EU - Horde side)

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:42 am

I struggle to reach the valor cap as it is. I can't be alone in wanting the number of heroics and dailies I do to decrease as I move into raiding more, but the way rewards are arranged it's hard to cap without at least running a bunch of heroics. (When I was doing all the dailies because of rep then the valor cap was no issue at all. No way I could maintain that level of dailies throughout the expansion, though. I hated it.)

Looks like the number of valor upgrades you could get will be low in any case. They're also adding more rep items on the new factions, so could be even more items to spend valor on, too.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nooska » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:28 am

Its really weird - the first few weeks of being 90 I capped my weekly valor friday or saturday (EU, wed reset here, so thursday/friday for US). Now I'm finding myself planning on doing daily random heroics for the bonus 40 VP for the run, and still having to do one on tuesday before the reset to cap valor. I'm considering "maining" and alt that hasn't done all teh reps yet, just so I can get the 50% buff by friday/saturday so I have to do less on my main. The buff really loses value when you have to main an alt to get capped on your main without too much hassle.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Zalaria » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:45 am

Yeah, I find the valor cap kind of obnoxious to hit as well, now that I'm almost done with the reps. I've taken to doing a daily scenario and heroic (I'm a hunter now, so the scenario fits almost perfectly with the heroic queue time when I queue for both at the same time). That gets me (80+40)*7=840 valor, which when combined with dailies and LFR is more than I need in the week so I can be lazy and skip a day or a run.
Remember this week there's a third LFR, so that's an extra bit to factor in.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General