Regarding tanking gear vs dps gear

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Regarding tanking gear vs dps gear

Postby Mozen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:16 am

So it has been established that mastery and haste are better than avoidance.

In that case, why would anybody, ever, use any piece of tanking gear? Any DPS plate without crit will be superior to any "tanking gear" which would most certainly have avoidance.

Set A - cap hit, hard cap expertise, no crit, no avoidance at all (i.e. all non-crit DPS plate).
Set B - cap hit, hard cap expertise, no crit, normal "tanking gear" reforged to mastery/haste.

Would the extreme set A still be better than set B?

It seems that the conclusion at the moment is that any tanking piece with avoidance is just slightly better than a dps piece with crit, hence we should always choose non-crit DPS plate over any tanking plate. I skimmed through Theck's post on the four gear sets, but all the sets have avoidance on them.

Does that mean we still need an "healthy amount" of avoidance? If so, what is this healthy amount?

At the moment I choose whatever higher iLv non-crit gear I can lay my hands on, and reforge away from avoidance. But I'm afraid of having too little avoidance. (It also means I do LFR as ret to try and get more ret pieces, so I don't actually have a tanking set. Will only re-gem and re-forge when I have a full set.)
Mozen

Re: Regarding tanking gear vs dps gear

Postby Lastwolf » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:18 am

I was thinking about this today, the problem is it's hard to find a piece with just mastery and haste on it or even just mastery and hit/exp.

Also the 4 set Prot set bonus seem pretty decent to me, in the long run it might not be that beneficial but certainly at the moment unless some one can convince me otherwise I think we'll all want it. So that leaves us with getting a few pieces that are mastery-haste/hit/exp free with the notable exception of the shoulders which are just dandy itemization wise.

Gearing isn't always a smooth process, at this stage in the expansion come avoidance gear is just such a bigger upgrade in Stamina and strength that you can ignore the loss in secondary stats.

But I'm sitting at 615K raid buffed at the moment so I feel I can be a bit more choosey at this point. I was trying to construct a BiS list for normal (opened so far)/normal (all open) heroic etc but it's a lot of work and I'm not entirely sure I'm correct with some of my choices.
Lastwolf

Postby daishan » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:26 am

Personally given the choice I'd swap all dodge and parry on my gear for hit/exp/haste/mast.
Though as has already been pointed out we'll end up with some avoidance from prot tier pieces plus a large chunk of parry from strength.
The other thing to think about is unless you have no plate melee in your raid team it's most likely going to be better for the raid if you pass haste items to the dps first, as we have avoidance options for almost all slots so no point in taking a dpsers only choice then de'ing the dodge item the next week.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Mozen » Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 pm

Yeah, and for people who predominately run LFR as prot, DPS gear is hard to get, except for maybe VP gear.

I was going to put together a sort of "complete list" of gear like we had for 4.x on the forum, but then I thought someone must have already done it, and I've been putting it off until know. Perhaps my original question becomes moot once I get to know the loot available to us.
Mozen

Postby lythac » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 am

I am wondering if we should stop referring to non-crit DPS plate as that. And the same with calling gear with dodge or parry on tanking gear. Reading the frustration thread it seems some people are not allowed to roll on not-crit DPS plate as that is how the gear is seen in the general WoW population. As DPS gear.

Avoidance tanking gear and Control tanking gear seem the better names.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Mozen » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:06 am

In that case we can't call it tanking gear either, since the stat is shared, like how priests and druids view spirit.

So...

Avoidance plate
Common plate
Crit plate

How's that?
Mozen

Postby Sagara » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:17 am

Welp, Warriors and DK's aren't too hot on haste. They'll focus on hit/exp/mastery/avoidance, which have always been accepted as tanking stats.
We're the odd duck out there with haste being so strong, kind of like Warriors used to sometimes need Agility Leather/Mail before the Plate specialization.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby daishan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:26 am

I'm fairly sure 2h frost likes haste, at least that's what our dk keeps telling me.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:51 am

I meant tank specced warriors and DK's aren't hot on haste.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby daishan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:56 am

Ah ofc
<needs to learn to read :roll:
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:28 am

Mozen wrote:So it has been established that mastery and haste are better than avoidance.

In that case, why would anybody, ever, use any piece of tanking gear? Any DPS plate without crit will be superior to any "tanking gear" which would most certainly have avoidance.

Not strictly true. The big thing is to get hit/exp capped. Stacking anything after that point helps reduce spikes, even avoidance. Haste and mastery are a little better than avoidance in that regard, but not by a huge margin.

For example, consider the following two leg armors: Kovok's Riven Legguards, Legguards of the Unscathed. The first is expertise/dodge with reduced strength, the second is haste/mastery with normal strength levels. The first is hands-down the better item. Why? It has a large chunk of expertise, and the extra dodge itemization from the reduced strength allows you to reforge into a large chunk of hit. You get more of the stats you want most (hit/exp) out of the "tanking" item in this case.

Mozen wrote:Set A - cap hit, hard cap expertise, no crit, no avoidance at all (i.e. all non-crit DPS plate).
Set B - cap hit, hard cap expertise, no crit, normal "tanking gear" reforged to mastery/haste.

Would the extreme set A still be better than set B?

Yes, but the difference wouldn't be huge either.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby RedNekPally » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:45 am

I started reading this and my first thought was "I wasted alot of time and effort on tanking heirlooms" Not necessarily the case?
RedNekPally

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:05 am

RedNekPally wrote:I started reading this and my first thought was "I wasted alot of time and effort on tanking heirlooms" Not necessarily the case?

Yes, probably wasted time in that in 5.2 the heirlooms are being replaced by new ones that scale up to 85, rather than 80:

http://ptr.wowdb.com/items?filter-patch ... uality=128

However, no in that the tanking plate heirlooms are arguably better than the dps - I believe it's a choice between parry + dodge vs crit + crit, and crit is not a stat that helps us defensively. What I did when leveling a plate character was equip the crit gear for soloing and the tank gear for dungeons.

I don't know how well the new heirlooms will scale to 85 and won't rush to buy them (you can get OP MoP blues for L80+ if you really want to). If I ever return to my horde pala benched at L40, I doubt I could resist the new heirloom shield, however.
econ21

Postby Promdates » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:01 pm

econ21 wrote:
RedNekPally wrote:Yes, probably wasted time in that in 5.2 the heirlooms are being replaced by new ones that scale up to 85, rather than 80

As of right now, to get the 85 heirlooms you have to turn in the 80+JP. The JP cost is the same as the original item too.
Promdates

Postby econ21 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:04 am

Promdates wrote:As of right now, to get the 85 heirlooms you have to turn in the 80+JP. The JP cost is the same as the original item too.

I'm sorry - can you spell that out a little? What's the "+JP"? You don't have to pay the original price twice, do you? Once to buy the 80 and once to upgrade it?
econ21

Next

Return to Basic Training & Talents