Remove Advertisements

Accurate Place To Find Correct Japanese Kanji's?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Accurate Place To Find Correct Japanese Kanji's?

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've posted and talked to you all. Right now I'm looking for some help.

I'm currently trying to find the correct Kanji's for several Japanese words. I've googled a few websites with Kanji dictionaries and found some that look legit. However I want to make sure the site I use is correct and accurate. So basically I'm just asking if any of you that have researched kanji's in the past have found a good site you believe to be accurate or if any of you are fluent in Japanese.

Right now the site I found that appears to be the best is this

http://www.saiga-jp.com/kanji_dictionary.html

Thanks
Lightbeard

Re: Accurate Place To Find Correct Japanese Kanji's?

Postby Invisusira » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:38 pm

Invisusira

Postby Lightbeard » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:54 pm

Not for a tattoo, something I'm drawing up however.
Lightbeard

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:48 am

I don't know of any websites that I would say are "100%" Reliable, but I have a few people that I game with who are REALLY good with Japanese and Mandarin. If you want to PM me what you are after, I will put it to them today.

And that's a hilarious cartoon Invis. Thankfully, my one and only Kanji tattoo was pretty easy to make sure it was legit. On the other hand... While my wife was in college.... Let's just say Her Ex-Boyfriend is walking around with Goddess on his huge muscular arm, and she has "Year of the Snake" really small at the base of her neck.
Shoju

Postby Melathys » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:01 pm

On a related note.

One thing I'd like to find. Every baby name site shows us Kaida as meaning "little dragon" in japanese. I feel pretty good about Kaida as a name. We intend to name our daughter Kaida, being the year of the dragon and so forth. One thing I'm having a hard time finding, is how to write the name Kaida in japanese.
Melathys

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:26 pm

I checked with a friend of mine about Kaida, and he said that he wasn't sure that it meant Little Dragon, and sent me a link from a forum that he was a part of, where this exact topic (the name Kaida as little dragon) was mentioned.
Shoju

Postby Gracerath » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:43 pm

This makes me curious. Do Japanese people name their children the english translation at all? :P Lets take Kaida for example (if it in fact means little dragon) would they instead name their child "Little Dragon" instead? I'd love to see that. I also wonder how many Japanese people have the word "Soup" as a tattoo when they thought they were getting something else!
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:02 pm

heh, I just don't know. Even when a site is not copy/pasting from another site, it still has Kaida as little dragon.

http://www.babynamespedia.com/meaning/Kaida has it as "resembling a small dragon"

We may just go with it anyway, and if we're wrong "Sorry baby, google failed you on this one." But every single names site I can find has Kaida as "little dragon". I do know that Kaida is used as a surname at least. Which isn't so bad. I've seen my last name as a first name on more than one occasion, or at least a variation of it.. Stephan.
Melathys

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:39 pm

I've always been under the impression that dragon = ryu. Not sure how little would translate, but things like gold (kin) or silver (gin) would make it kinryu/ginryu. As for little, google translate has a few different versions, but none that seem to lend themselves to "kaida."

Now, I don't have a native Japanese speaker handy, so I can't really verify that.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Melathys » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:43 pm

you know, I think it may come down to it being a name rather than a direct translation. My name doesn't directly translate to much of anything to any language that I know of, yet I also know its supposed to mean "ruler of the people."
Melathys

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:49 am

If Ryu is translated as dragon, you could name her

Ryuko

And have a "Dragon Girl"

I at least know that much :) From Fuedal Japan

Ko, was a feminine suffix, while Ri and Jo were common male suffixes.
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:58 am

japanese Kanji you say
i would not mess with Kanji he is a pretty angry guy
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Return to Arkham Asylum