Remove Advertisements

[10N] Blade Lord Tayak

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10N] Blade Lord Tayak

Postby frontallobe » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:00 pm

UPDATE -- They nerfed his damage output quite a bit and is now tuned to be a more attainable boss for most guilds. I updated the video to reflect this. Enjoy, he's fun and still challenging.

Hi all,

We were able to kill this last night and thought I'd share some stuff we learned in killing it. Any additional tips/tricks are welcome. Here's a guide I put together on what worked for us.

Fatboss beta video made this look fun and easy. For us, it was not. Your results may vary but holy god this guy was difficult in reg mode MSV gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCCDV_oi ... e=youtu.be - kill with tips / tricks we used - your mileage may vary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcewY9Q7 ... el&list=UL - same kill with full vent
Last edited by frontallobe on Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Re: Blade Lord Tayak [10m] normal

Postby Belloc » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:53 am

Double hands is excellent for this fight. The DoT that the boss puts out is physical damage and Hand of Protection will remove it. That's two DoT clears per paladin. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm doing everything I can to save my healers mana and this is an excellent way to go about it. It also allows double Hand of Sacrifice for mitigating Overwhelming Strikes on your fellow tank (which also means more vengeance for you!).
Belloc

Postby baleogthefierce » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:38 am

frontallobe wrote:Fatboss beta video made this look fun and easy. For us, it was not. Your results may vary but holy god this guy was difficult in reg mode MSV gear.

That was our experience as well, both the seeming randomness of the strike mechanics and the damage in phase 2 were much more unforgiving than we were expecting.

The unseen strike/knockback mechanic was pretty frustrating for us until we arrived at a good strategy to minimize the random gibs. Basically unless you have a million paladins to cancel the bleeds, just don't bother having players with the debuff try to soak strikes. After much arguing about how the direction of the strike cone was determined, we figured out that it's based on the straight-line direction that the boss has to travel to reach his target.
Code: Select all
  X ------------- sneaky invisible boss path --------- O < damage cone
targeted player                                   stacked raid

Once we got that managed, we had the raid spread around on one side of the boss and then collapsed on the tank for the strike, which also prevented knockbacks from kicking people into tornadoes since the strike was always faced in a controllable direction.

Phase 2 damage is pretty ridiculous if you don't have a lot of movespeed bonuses to get your raid situated in a hurry. Our paladin healer would just bubble and speed of light his way to the other side so he could set up shop and heal targets as they came in. The second time you have to run the gauntlet is always rough because of the stacking haste buff, so that's when we used most of our survival CDs. The one nice thing about phase 2 is that the red circle graphic for the tornadoes is larger than their actual area and it appears before the actual tornado spawns, so predicting/dodging them is not as unforgiving as some of your raiders might try to lead you to believe.
baleogthefierce

Postby frontallobe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:08 am

The unseen strike/knockback mechanic was pretty frustrating for us until we arrived at a good strategy to minimize the random gibs. Basically unless you have a million paladins to cancel the bleeds, just don't bother having players with the debuff try to soak strikes.
-- exactly. If people have the debuff (especially more than one - spread out for realz! lol) you HAVE to have a raid wall up or BOP/independent CD it off. Otherwise that dude is down. 80k/s

The one nice thing about phase 2 is that the red circle graphic for the tornadoes is larger than their actual area and it appears before the actual tornado spawns, so predicting/dodging them is not as unforgiving as some of your raiders might try to lead you to believe.

Didn't know this. Thanks! I was just hoping for a 66% chance it wouldn't hit me. I didn't notice the red circles pre-spawn.
Frontallobe ~http://www.ihazlead.com
Raid leading and generally being terrible since Molten Core
frontallobe

Postby Darielle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm

Wind Step is 80k/3, not 80k/sec.

If Unseen Strike is split correctly, your most squishy people should take only 200k from it. Unseen/Wind won't kill anything who isn't already low on health, but it does become more dangerous if you have people constantly missing the Slash, because the people now taking the Slash will be moving up to 250/300k from it, and THAT gets dicey.

The big thing in the final phase is that to get over the last hump, wait for a Tornado to spawn, dodge it and move through the spot it spawned in. That should get past the whole "spawning on top of me at the last 5 yard stretch part".

One more thing is that during the strike, he counts as "rooted". If someone avoids the knockback and is in melee range, they will get meleed. The solution is for them to stop being late to the knockback.
Darielle

Postby Tebin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:48 am

IF someone's bubbled (either BoP or our own bubble) will they take a 'share' of the unseen strike cleave or are they just skipped out?
Tebin

Postby Brokenone » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:11 am

Tebin wrote:IF someone's bubbled (either BoP or our own bubble) will they take a 'share' of the unseen strike cleave or are they just skipped out?

They still get hit. Otherwise you could just BoP the targeted person and not need to stack.
Brokenone

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:08 am

Top off your raid and leave DoTs on the boss at 12%, then just leave a healer and a DPS with a good sprint to finish him off. Send the rest of your raid running early and you won't be fighting the movespeed reduction. If you jump in the wind gusts on the sides of the room, you'll get a further movespeed bonus before the wind shifts direction. This way when he hits 10% most of your raid is already in place and ready to go, plus you don't have to dodge tornadoes a 2nd time.
baleogthefierce

Postby Winkle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:31 am

Nice video Frontlobe, was useful. I will say that we spent some time on this fight using 2 healers, but killed it instantly when switching to 3. Just couldn't survive the tornado (<20%) phase with only 2 healers. DPS didn't seem to be an issue, we killed him with 17 stacks.
Winkle

Postby Tebin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:37 am

baleogthefierce wrote:Top off your raid and leave DoTs on the boss at 12%, then just leave a healer and a DPS with a good sprint to finish him off. Send the rest of your raid running early and you won't be fighting the movespeed reduction. If you jump in the wind gusts on the sides of the room, you'll get a further movespeed bonus before the wind shifts direction. This way when he hits 10% most of your raid is already in place and ready to go, plus you don't have to dodge tornadoes a 2nd time.

Took me a second to get that...so you opt for running back early so you're not dodging cyclones. that's pretty cool...what does going into the wind gusts actually do?

Only other bit of advice I have is to take prot warriors. Below 30% HP they regen 3%/sec, making them all but unkillable in this phase (we actually had a few irritating wipes where our prot warrior wasn't dying until the boss enraged).
Tebin

Postby baleogthefierce » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 am

Tebin wrote:what does going into the wind gusts actually do?

You know how if you jump into the wind when it's going the opposite direction it forces you backward? If you hit it from the other direction it forces you forward at that same speed, basically you get a super sprint the entire distance across the room.
baleogthefierce

Postby Auracle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Hey folks,

Our findings from attempts/kill last week:

2 tanks
2 heals
6 dps

Healing not a problem at all until phase 2, more on that later.
Had 3 pallies, so liberally used Hand of Protection to clear the DoT, though honestly we found that it was easily survivable even through the Unseen strike so long as the afflicted player used a minor personal CD.
Went into every Unseen Strike topped off, had only a few wipes to improper stackups.
Had the raid always stack in the centre near the boss, with the targeted player told to stop moving no matter where they were after 3 secs. We found we had more deaths/needless damage due to the targeted player fiddling with positioning , thus causing others to move, and on and on, but fixed that by simply telling the red arrow to sit tight after 3 secs and have every one pile on.
We had an spriest and a warlock, so we used Dispersion and Dark Bargain to mitigate (read: solo-soak) the Unseen Strikes whenever possible.

Ensured raid was fully topped off at around 22% boss health.
Used Devo Aura x2 during the initial tornado-carry phase on the transition (you can use the ability while inside the tornado, it just takes a couple of seconds to become 'clickable').

During phase 2 we had a lot of deaths due to the extreme raid damage while running the gauntlet. On our kill and the couple of attempts prior we managed to get almsot everyone to the end alive, with usually 1 death due to nubbery on that person's part.

At 12% life we sent all the DPS except the OT down to the far end, using the slipstreams on the sides to increase their movement. We did this sloppily and thus lost a lot of players near the end, killing him with 1 healer, 2 tanks and 2 dps alive only.

If you can make it TO the end, dont wipe even if you have ~ 3 players and a healer alive, the damage there is easily healable and you have plenty of time to burn him down(our tanks survived on their own at one point for 6 % of his health).

Have fun!
Auracle

Postby lakhesis » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:36 am

baleogthefierce wrote:Top off your raid and leave DoTs on the boss at 12%, then just leave a healer and a DPS with a good sprint to finish him off. Send the rest of your raid running early and you won't be fighting the movespeed reduction. If you jump in the wind gusts on the sides of the room, you'll get a further movespeed bonus before the wind shifts direction. This way when he hits 10% most of your raid is already in place and ready to go, plus you don't have to dodge tornadoes a 2nd time.

We did a similar approach, but instead of any dps or healers we just left both tanks behind.

They use CDs and push through the last 1-2%, he swaps ends somewhere between 10-10.5%, and the lost tank dps is the smallest sacrifice on the final push.

On the transition, we'd stop & the healers would stabilise everyone at 90%+ rather than the whole raid just running as soon as the tornado phase started. We were using 3 healers tho, which did leave us really tight on the enrage. Likewise they'd re-stablise with a CD (typically my bear co-tank's tranq + heart of the wild) prior to the DPS+heals going down at 12%.

One thing we've been finding awkward is the Unseen Strike positioning. We regularly seem to get the cone at 90 degrees to where the boss is attacking from (e.g. boss is facing north, cone points east), so we have to stack precisely on the person rather than being able to stack behind them but facing the boss. Anyone else encountered this?
When society says jump, we say pass the salt.
lakh's armory
lakhesis

Postby Winkle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:57 am

The boss moves in a straightline from his previous position to the marked person, haven't really encountered anything different.We generally always stack just marginally behind the character model.
Winkle

Postby jsantana » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:06 am

Hello all,

This boss is the most frustrating fight at the moment, because sometimes RNG can be really bad in this fight in phase 1 and working through phase 2 to end up wiping on it. We had some bad luck on after unseen strike a raider, typically a healer with windstep dot and knockback effect into a tornado would kill them. I followed MysticKnight post via tankspot and youtube video how to position to tornados in a more controlled manner rather than loosely. I will get the occasional raider once in a while messing up, but normally we do fine in phase, with some exception, when stacking for unseen strike the boss angle of the strike isnt't always clear and sometimes some won't get hit and most will die from the split damage. We have been popping hero after the first unseen strike, I dont believe our dps is bad at all, when we bounce between 2 to 3 heals the boss doesn't get no more than 4 stacks in phase. However, phase 2 is our biggest problem, topping off before running works great, will get the occasional raider getting caught in tornado and healer sometimes pausing to heal. Basically, would it be ok to utilize hero for phase 2 once we reached the boss? At least from our group experience at least the intensify stacks being roughly around 8-11 stacks on the first boss stack.

World of logs below to show our attempts and any advice on the unseen strike to explain to raiders, any advice if using hero in phase 2 would help, and is DBM timer off on the unseen strike, overwhelming strike? I personally, feel i time most but sometimes the dbm timer is off for those abilities.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pwvhvzjqtjnn8clt/
jsantana

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)