Flames of Azzinoth

Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, Gurtogg Bloodboil, RoS, Sharaz, Council, Illidan

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, fiend

Postby Joanadark » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:02 pm

you know, that actually makes a lot of sense.
It's prolly safer from causing potential enrages than the loop path too, since the tanks aren't going APART, and then CLOSER, and then APART relative to each other.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby fiorina » Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:04 pm

Few things to add:
- eye beam paths are actually closer to this:

- even there is an Eye beam residue you should have no problems to position him close enough to melee so they won't take any damage from it, just make sure you reposition him only seconds after Flame Blast

- if you are on the top of your path and he is not dead yet for some reason, wait until next Flame Blast and normally run shortest path through the raid, he is not doing any AoE or Cleaves... you are going to receive significantly less damage and he will be in melee range all the time

Another thing, did you tested if those guys could be brought that far from the "edge"?
Long time ago, we had serious issues with that. Let me dig some ancient video.
Here we go, normal situation, staying slightly outside the circle:

Then miliseconds later, he charged second tank:

After such wipes I've started to run through the raid when going back and adjusting his position in blue residue to be melee friendly. But if this gay charging was fixed in recent months, that would ease whole situation as you can "shit down" the patches outside the circle.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Korendil » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:28 am

I might be tanking a flame later tonight so I have a few questions about my gear and stats. This should be my stats if I was prot and in fr gear.

1) Would pursuit of justice be of any use for this fight? Or would the talent points be better spent maxing anticipation?
2) Would it be better to wear the devilshark or gilded thorium cloak?
3) Would it be better to wear Moroes' pocket watch or the adamantine figurine?

Any other advice on how I can improve myself would be much appreciated. If you think my gear or stats are too low to effectively tank a flame, that would be good to know too.

Thanks.
Tichondrius (US)

Korendil

Postby Worldie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:37 am

1) POJ is kinda useless here, anticipation helps filling defence gap.
2) I dont remind the stats and cba checking em, so will not answer
3) Depends. If you are def capped, pocket watch, if not, figurine.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby gat0r » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:53 am

So, i tanked flame yesterday with FRcap, uncrittable and 17.3k buffed. It was a really challange even tho i killed Illidan in holy spec before. Takes me 3 wipes to figure out tanking path, beam's path and all the stuff.

Donnt think RL will give me a chance to tank Illidan himself, but i'll try to.
gat0r

Postby Korendil » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 am

One more question. In one of the Illidan/flame threads, I read that you should calculate your fr while unbuffed. Why do you want to have 365 fr unbuffed (with aura) but without mark if you know for sure there will be a druid in the raid?
Tichondrius (US)

Korendil

Postby Cakes » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:52 am

Because mark and paladin auras don't stack. You either take the 70 from the pally aura or the 35 from Mark.
Cakes

Postby Touchdown » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 am

Actually, Aura overrides the Mark.

If you have mark, you have 35 resistance, if you then get the effect of Aura, 70 resistance, but they won't stack, like you said.
Touchdown

Postby Lore » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:03 pm

Korendil wrote:One more question. In one of the Illidan/flame threads, I read that you should calculate your fr while unbuffed. Why do you want to have 365 fr unbuffed (with aura) but without mark if you know for sure there will be a druid in the raid?

Above posters have said why (Mark and aura don't stack) but a nitpick regardless: "with aura" is not "unbuffed." You want 295 unbuffed FR, which is 365 with aura.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm

Above posters have said why (Mark and aura don't stack) but a nitpick regardless: "with aura" is not "unbuffed." You want 295 unbuffed FR, which is 365 with aura.

I can't tell you how many tankadins I've talked to in my day who try to claim that their hp with Blessing of Kings counts as "unbuffed" for the purpose of meeting recruitment minimums.
Arkham's Razor: a theory which states the simplest explaination tends to lead to Cthulu.
Joanadark

Postby Joanadark » Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:54 pm

1) POJ is kinda useless here

I actually just completely altered my raiding spec for the sole reason of being able to pick up PoJ for this one fight.

If there ever was a talent that could save you from being a complete retard, it is this one.
Joanadark

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:48 pm

PoJ? You could turn on walk and still tank flames just fine. If I get caught with my pants down I just bubble+taunt :P

As for trinket choice, Moroes shouldn't be a consideration. Def trinket if you need it for the crit cap, stamina otherwise.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Inferno255 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:18 pm

Finally got to try this=)
2 hours of tries managed to get 1 of 2 flames down. Druid on other side has inferior threat so mine is dpsed down first. Dodging beams isnt all that hard.. I'd say dodging fires is alot harder(reposing him without breathing the raid). I died once having a beam start on top of me, didn't have time to react at all. Also: Signet of Eternal Life ftw, got it last saturday and was exactly enough to give me uncrit, well 5.58.

What's the best way of positioning to let the melee actually get some dps time in?. I reckon it's only possible when you're moving along let's say the inner circle initially and halfway through? Using like the shape of 8.
Inferno255

Postby fiorina » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:32 pm

Inferno255 wrote:What's the best way of positioning to let the melee actually get some dps time in?. I reckon it's only possible when you're moving along let's say the inner circle initially and halfway through? Using like the shape of 8.

It's possible for melee to DPS all the time, minus moments during Beams and during repositioning. During learning phase I would play "safe" and focus on execution rather than keeping his back turned towards the melee and out of fires all the time.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:35 pm

Joanadark wrote:
1) POJ is kinda useless here

I actually just completely altered my raiding spec for the sole reason of being able to pick up PoJ for this one fight.

If there ever was a talent that could save you from being a complete retard, it is this one.

Don't get me wrong, PoJ is wonderful and i have it and will never give it away. And it's very helpful in 3/4 of Black Temple and Hyjal as well.

I just stated it's useless in that specific fight and role ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Black Temple