Remove Advertisements

Mysticknight's Stone Guards Guide

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: Mysticknight's Stone Guards Guide

Postby degre » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:27 am

To be fair I find the definition of MT/OT a bit off here, in the whole tier so far I'd say.

In this fight you don't have a MT, as the tank that starts with 2 lions has it at start, but after that, unless you want to do useless swaps that can only bring the energy up to unwanted dogs, who gets the two is determined by chance.

Same applies to the rest of the instance, there is no MT so to speak, you either have one tank (kings) or two tanks sharing the role and alternating each other.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:49 am

On our attempts we've been having some issues with the guards randomly dropping agro, and this seems to happen at least once a fight. A tank will taunt a guard to swap, then the guard will move toward the tank, then halfway it'll just decide to poke a random party member a few times. It seems like the mob will just forget about the agro table for 2-3 seconds. I don't think it's anything the players are doing wrong, cuz our tank isn't bubbling or anything stupid like that, and I've been the subject of agro before while druid healing 2 mins into the fight so I doubt I taunted or out agrod a tank. Anyone else have this issue?

(also, holy run-on sentences batman!)
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Squishybrick » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:35 pm

I've beaten this fight as ret three times now but last night I took my first stab at it as prot and my group ran into a couple of problems. I was hoping that I could get some possible solutions by asking people here.

First problem:
At first, both myself and the other tank were having issues identifying which guardian was active (petrifying). This was solved once we noticed the resource bar that shows up for the active guardian, but we still had issues identifying where the active guardian was fast enough to taunt etc in a reasonable time frame.

I know that the active guardian glows it's respective color, but at least on my screen I was having a hard time telling the guardians apart with everything else going on. Can this be solved only by putting my graphics on a higher setting (my gpu is bad.. very bad) or is there another way to assist me in quickly seeing where the active guardian is at any given time?

Second Problem:
I understand (at least now) that in theory, the idea is to keep the guardian with the highest energy away from the petrifying (active) guardian and that tanks should be taunting once the non-active, energy-gaining guardian has gained roughly 50 energy (10 man normal).

We ran into some serious problems putting this into practice. First, I had the 10 man and 25 man strat confused as it is 25 energy in the 25 man before taunts and 50 energy for the 10 man according to icy veins. The end result was that we had guardians spending too much time near each other, gaining energy when they shouldn't have been etc.

Another issue that was preventing us from putting this into practice is I've had a hard time targeting the right guardian for me to taunt. There are three boxes that pop up on the right hand side of my screen that I can click to target them, but the text is small so its difficult to see which box represents which guardian in any reasonable time frame.

So my two questions for this problem are:
(a) am I right that in 10 man normal it is the right strat to swap guardians at 50 energy intervals?
(b) Is there any way to adjust the size, position and/or font size of the three targeting boxes that show up on the right side of my screen?

Third Problem:
Most of the time when we wiped it was because of a non-active guardian overloading soon after or before the active guardian overloading.

Is it possible, and if so with any reliability, to stop this from happening if we can get the taunts done at the right time etc or is this something that has to be accepted an unavoidable possibility that the healers need to be prepared for?
Squishybrick

Postby Darielle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:34 pm

In this fight you don't have a MT, as the tank that starts with 2 lions has it at start, but after that, unless you want to do useless swaps that can only bring the energy up to unwanted dogs, who gets the two is determined by chance.

You should never have swaps giving energy to unwanted dogs.

If it's Ame on one tank, Jade and Jasper on the other and Ame gets empowered, taunting Ame into the second tank and taunting Jade onto the first atnk should result in no more energy than taunting Jasper into Ame, unless your taunts are badly synced and you're just sitting there for 5 seconds with the wrong dog on the wrong person.

Having one centralised location gives you the ability to work off a centralised spot for melee, aoe heals, allows you to make a choice on which mechanic you want fully functioning (e.g. Battle Insight is basically useless if you're tanking the lone dog), optimise survival based on whichever tank's survival scales best with multiple mobs (crits giving Rage, or Revenge procs, or SoI procs gamed from HotR, etc.)
Darielle

Postby degre » Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:36 am

Darielle wrote:

You should never have swaps giving energy to unwanted dogs.

I thought that's what I said...

Squishybrick wrote:First problem:
Glow

Second Problem:
Tantu at which energy level?

Third Problem:
Most of the time when we wiped it was because of a non-active guardian overloading soon after or before the active guardian overloading.

Is it possible, and if so with any reliability, to stop this from happening if we can get the taunts done at the right time etc or is this something that has to be accepted an unavoidable possibility that the healers need to be prepared for?

Sorry for snipping a bit, kept the core.

First
As for seeing which guardian is active, more than having a massive Glow under his arse there's nothing else that can be done, maybe your hardware is just dated.

Second
Switch at 50.

third
Say you have active Jade, Jasper and Cobalt.

T1 grabs Jade and Jasper, T2 Cobalt.
Jade works out being the active one, now T1 tanks Jade and Jasper up to 50 energy, T2 taunts at 50.
When Jade blows you have T1 with Jasper at 50, T2 with Jade at 0 and Cobalt at 50.
Now 2 things can happen, either Cobalt becomes active, no swap happens and you T2 keeps tanking Cobalt and Jade until Cobalt blows and Jade is up to 50, or Jasper becomes active, so T1 will taunt the lower one on energy, which is the one that just exploded, Jade.

Never let them go too high if they're inactive, and if by any chance happens worry not, just call on chat that is about to happen and have someone pop a raidwall.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 pm

Looking for a DPS perspective.

From what I can gather:

Cobalt - Puts out Ice traps that at some point people will need to blow up.
Jade - Chains two people together (can possibly be ignored for 10N?) Chained people stay close together until chains are destroyed.
Jasper - ???
Amethyst - Pools of GTFO.

Does it matter which Guard I'm attacking, or does my LFR method of "DOT ALL THE THINGS!!!" suffice?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Calleana » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 am

The dog that is hanging out by himself has a 90% damage reduction, I don't think it is worth spending time dotting it until it comes into the space with the other dog.
Calleana-Darkblade
Calleana
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:10 am

Jasper is a occasional raidwide aoe which is non avoidable.

Doesn't matter which guard you attack, but you might want to keep track of when there's jasper/cobalt petrification going to remove chains or mines.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Hespherus » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:28 am

Worldie wrote:Jade is a occasional raidwide aoe which is non avoidable.

Just a small error.
Hespherus

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:11 am

Skye1013 wrote:Looking for a DPS perspective.

For jasper we have basically everyone stay within about 10 yards of melee range, the only real exception is if two ranged get chained together, they can just chill at ranged with eachother. We never break the chains.

For cobalt you will want to pop these either 1. when cobalt is petrifying or 2. if your at max hp and your healers are cool with it. When you want to pop these use any sort of damage reduction CDs and movement CDs; notably things like hunters - deterrence, SPriests - dispersion, rogues - cloak of shadows + sprint. If you have jasper active you will need to communicate with your partner, to see if they are trapped in ice or want to go on a cobalt popping spree.

Amethyst is simply don't stand in the purple. It hurts like a bitch and adds a slow.

Jade is only the healer's concern.

As for multi-dotting, only keep up dots on the two that are next to eachother. any cleave type effects are very good.
Astronomic

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:23 am

Hespherus wrote:
Worldie wrote:Jade is a occasional raidwide aoe which is non avoidable.

Just a small error.

Pff I'm too used to italian client :D
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:29 am

Astronomic wrote:

For jasper we have basically everyone stay within about 10 yards of melee range, the only real exception is if two ranged get chained together, they can just chill at ranged with eachother. We never break the chains.

I don't see why you wouldnt want to break the chains when jasper petrify comes.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Sagara » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:32 am

Worldie wrote:
Astronomic wrote:

There can only be a set amount of chains up at any time. Any chain you keep active is one less "complicated" chain (like healer/melee).
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Astronomic » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:37 am

Worldie wrote:
Astronomic wrote:

A few reasons. these reasons may not apply to your raid but not breaking chains fixed these issues for us.

1. Jasper would start petrifying, people would try to break chains but the petrify wouldn't last long enough and then ppl are still chained taking some big ticks.

2. We often would have some1 break the chains with some1 else then immediately get re-chained to them, essentially just wasting time.

3.If cobalt's in-play you could break chains with some1 then get re-chained to someone else, and have cobalt mines form between you and melee, cutting you off from them, incurring very high damage, and often, death.

4. In order to not get any initial ticks we had the raid really close to melee, so unless 3 chains were out (the maximum) you were going to be in melee range anyways. Breaking the chains was pointless because at our close range, you wouldn't take any ticks.
Astronomic

Postby Darielle » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:57 pm

I thought that's what I said...

No, you said:
"In this fight you don't have a MT, as the tank that starts with 2 lions has it at start, but after that, unless you want to do useless swaps that can only bring the energy up to unwanted dogs, who gets the two is determined by chance."
Aka, don't have one tank keeping 2 dogs all the time; doing that would give unwanted energy to unwanted dogs.

My point (which should be clear in the sentence immediately after, and certainly two sentences after) is that unless you're literally sitting around letting them get energy by waiting around "in the middle of taunting", you should get no more additional energy by keeping 2 dogs on the same tank, and it gives you many benefits to take advantage of.

On the other hand, aside from the bit of freedom until new chains are done, there isn't anything chains really prevents you from doing. Even on Heroic, the chains that are alreayd active can go play with tiles, so there's no downside to not breaking chains. If everyone's basically in melee range (or close to each other), they're not hampered in any way by being chained, and they have no real to break them.
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)