Remove Advertisements

Guild Wars 2

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Guild Wars 2

Postby Gracerath » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:18 am

Good question. The game wide trade post is great for the consumer but not as great for the goblin. Actually goblins probably do all right but the rest of us mere dabblers won't do as well as we could in games such as WoW. It is almost impossible to really get a grip on any of the trade skill materials to control price or make significant profit since there are just massive quantities available. Personally what I'm finding the most profitable is just playing the normal game. Collect all the things and sell all the things. Only salvage white items and vendor all blue and green items. If they are 70+, check the trade post to sell your rares and above. I tried my hand at salvaging 80 rares for globs of ectoplasm and I lost pretty badly. It would have been much better to sell the item for ~15s than salvage it and not get an ecto which were currently selling for 18-20s. Of course some people have great luck and get 3 ectos from their salvage so your mileage may vary. So anyway, without massive trade post scanning at all times, I think just doing DE's and gathering everything you come across will net the most cash.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:43 am

Gracerath wrote:Good question. The game wide trade post is great for the consumer but not as great for the goblin. Actually goblins probably do all right but the rest of us mere dabblers won't do as well as we could in games such as WoW. It is almost impossible to really get a grip on any of the trade skill materials to control price or make significant profit since there are just massive quantities available. Personally what I'm finding the most profitable is just playing the normal game. Collect all the things and sell all the things. Only salvage white items and vendor all blue and green items. If they are 70+, check the trade post to sell your rares and above. I tried my hand at salvaging 80 rares for globs of ectoplasm and I lost pretty badly. It would have been much better to sell the item for ~15s than salvage it and not get an ecto which were currently selling for 18-20s. Of course some people have great luck and get 3 ectos from their salvage so your mileage may vary. So anyway, without massive trade post scanning at all times, I think just doing DE's and gathering everything you come across will net the most cash.

Alright, yeah that's what I've been doing as well. So I'll just stick to it. ^^
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Era » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:23 pm

Bought cultural Tier 2 for my Necromancer!
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fueled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Gracerath » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:18 pm

So I finished most PvE content, save for explorable modes. All I need are a few random hearts/poi's/waypoints and a few spots in WvW for 100% map completion. I'm not sure what I'm feeling at the moment. Done? I dunno. I put in well over 300 hours of time in and had great fun doing so. I guess it is just time to step back and take a break and that is ok. I think the biggest thing that is keeping me from really playing often is all the WvW bullshit. For those not in the loop, you can currently transfer between servers for free at any time but I think only once every 24 hours. What happens is people will transfer from their server to whatever server is winning in their bracket (or even just other top tier servers) and then the other two servers end up being mostly boned cause they don't have the resources to defeat the larger and possibly more organized force. Then you also have things like people coming from one server to another and using up all their supply on siege equipment in totally useless areas. Fun fact: there is a finite amount of siege equipment that can be on a map at any given time for your team. People have started going into other server's borderlands and building siege equipment inside the main base where it becomes immune to damage. It then sits there and rots for the entire week taking up supply and siege slots. Pretty classy. Then of course there are the various orb hacks and flying exploits and the invisible enemies issue and it really just becomes not fun.

I'll just slowly level up my elementalist and try to enjoy the world a bit more slowly this time around. I didn't really rush the first time through but I don't think I stopped enough to smell the roses. There are so many things to explore and so many hidden gems of awesome out there.

At leas the Halloween event is coming up and anyone not familiar with Guild Wars, they have pretty amazing holidays in game. Halloween is one of the most popular and it should be pretty fantastic. You can get some pretty unique gear usually so I'm curious what sorts of goodies will be available for this one.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:07 pm

I'm looking forward to Halloween as well! Haven't really been playing GW2 much the past week(s), picked up L4D2 again with a friend - Never finished it the first time because, well, then there was WoW. :roll:

EDIT: I don't really feel attached to GW any more though, it was fun for some time but I'm losing interest. Which makes me sad, I had such great hopes after many many years of fun with the first game. :(
Era

Postby Barathorn » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:16 am

I am level 61 now, I don't feel the need to play other than when I want to as I know from other games at launch that it takes a year to get a polished product these days.

My wife and I just potter and are 'casual gamers' tm. The rest of our guild are already 80 and have said that short of exploration there isn't much to do, the dungeons are 1 trick ponies and the WvWvW is an absolute joke. A lot of them have gone back to Eve as their main game already.

I think Ultima Online and then to a larger extent WoW broke gaming for me personally. I no longer have the spare time or commitment to want to be online every night doing stuff. I play as and when I feel like it now.

That being said, GW2 is an awesome game for the levelling experiance and the story, I cannot recommend it enough.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Gracerath » Sat Oct 27, 2012 7:28 am

I haven't yelled at my PC in a long time... until the clock tower jumping puzzle. Holy balls. I think I gave myself a headache last night. I finally completed it and then I did it again immediately aftewards in one try just out of spite. Two hours or so of practice to get to the end.

I have to say, I'm fairly impressed with the holiday event so far. I can do without a few things though, such as the stupid zergs farming the doors for candy corn. The scavenger hunt was really fun though. I did the first one all on my own without consulting a guide but the second one I was low on time and used a walkthrough.

I spent my first $10 on gems and I picked up the witch clothes for my elementalist. The characters have a hilariously derpy face while riding on the broom.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Bunni » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:02 am

Gracerath wrote:I haven't yelled at my PC in a long time... until the clock tower jumping puzzle. Holy balls. I think I gave myself a headache last night. I finally completed it and then I did it again immediately aftewards in one try just out of spite. Two hours or so of practice to get to the end.

That jumping puzzle was crazy!
It ended up taking me about 2 hours as well and I was so happy when I got to the end. :D
Keeping the gaming world safe for old folks. www.theoldergamers.com
Bunni

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:55 am

GW2 has a "refer a friend" thing going on now. I'm not sure if there is a limit or anything, but I haven't used one, so if someone wants to try the game out for free, send me a PM and I'll "refer" you.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Worldie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:47 am

As far as I know the free referral trial ended today and was limited to the last 3 days.

I've tried it too, and noticed that AN isn't much better at creating events than blizzard. Lag and chaos everywhere with a lot of confused people :P
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:48 am

Oh right, it does end today at 10PM PST, so there's about 12 hours left at the moment...
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Gracerath » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:05 am

Worldie wrote:I've tried it too, and noticed that AN isn't much better at creating events than blizzard. Lag and chaos everywhere with a lot of confused people :P

And I thought the opening of the gates of AQ in WoW was shitty...

The event was great in concept but not so great in execution. Luckily I didn't disconnect at the end and was able to get my loot from the chest. I got a legendary precursor... but I was trolled. It is the trident that no one gives a fuck about. Sad too cause it actually looks cool. Too bad underwater combat is mostly ass.

Still, the 20 slot bag was worth the lag and deaths (normally cost 10g+) as was the accessory.

I hope that they learned a lot from this event and how to make them better in the future. Less invisible enemies, less tedious phases of hard to kill mobs for 30 mins at a time, etc. It is almost like they totally underestimate the popularity of their own game. People show up in droves to do these events and max out server capacity. They should spawn more overflows with less people and then code it so you can't just hop into another overflow server that the event is still going on and get loot again.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:21 am

EDIT: Written on mobile, be aware of possible confusion courtesy of touchscreen, laziness (I hate typing on touchscreen) & autocomplete. :roll:

What I REALLY don't get is why they have the overflow system in the first place. Anyone who played the first game (Guild Wars) will remember the district system, which worked brilliantly. For those who didn't play the first game, the district system was sooooort of like the overflow system, except represented by a drop down list where you could (whenever you wanted to) choose what district (or overflow, if you will) to be in. Easy to hop back and forth, easy to figure out where you and your friends are.

There were also specific districts for different regions (Europe, America, International, and later some Asian ones) and I think also, at some point, for different major languages (French, German, etc.) but I might be mixing that bit up with something else.

District 1 (of most regions) was always packed with people (and could sometimes get laggy), but great if you wanted company or trying to buy/sell items. Would be great if they had added a population count to the district name like "District 4 (233 players)", too.

Anyway, my point is, they had many great systems at place in GW1 that they've made worse in GW2, and I don't see why and it frustrates me because I really wanted this game to be the focus of my gaming time. And yeah, like you say with the events and things, they seem to constantly underestimate and put sticks in their own wheels.
Era

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:16 am

In the overflow I was in, lag wasn't too bad of a problem. We did have one "wipe" caused by mobs spawning late and on top of the group. Other than that, it was fairly smooth. However, I didn't get either the bag or the accessory, and could not equip any of the armor that I got, so that was a bit of a bummer.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Gracerath » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:31 pm

On another note, the fractals of the mists is a fantastic dungeon with basically unlimited room for expansion. You can compare it to Caverns of Time in WoW. Participating in "The Searing" from GW1 as charr was pretty fun. Freeing a colossus from being chained to a cliff was also excellent.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games