Remove Advertisements

Dealing with the fears on Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Zahir » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:18 am

killed him recently with 2 resto tree druids, and the rest of the raid DPS.

First fear was solved with a trinket.
Goes up in the air
2nd fear was solved with a /cast /cancel DS
Goes up in the air
3rd fear was solved by a really lucky tremor totem(pulsed as soon as he feared)
goes up in the air
4th fear was solved by my trinket again.

Good textbook kill. DPS was heavy because we didn't have a extra healer, but had good resto healers to make up for it.
Zahir

Postby Maranus » Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:44 am

Ashborne wrote:
Nerves wrote:DS and BoP work like fade

No they don't. While bubbled your aggro is temporarily dropped to the bottom of the list. As soon as the bubble is gone, you resume your last aggro level.

DS and BoP work like a reverse taunt.

Fade provides a temporary agro reduction until further agro is generated, after the effect has been removed. They are similar in this respect, whilst Divine Shield and Blessing of Protection offer a complete reduction

Please don't say someone's explanation of an ability is incorrect, then offer an inconcise description.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby knaughty » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:24 pm

I out gear the instance, but as a note:

I solo tank the whole thing with two healers, NB included.

Don't have a PVP trinket, so I always take at least one priest.

One priest will probably require you to use a bubble. Just have them drop Fear ward on you, you wait 90 seconds, THEN summon. You'll have fear ward back up for the 2nd or 3rd rotation. Bubble 2nd, 3rd or 4th if required.

With one priest, I've not needed a 2nd bubble, used DS @ 20%, fear ward covered the rest.

With two (one holy, one shadow), no bubbles required at all.

PvP trinket is about 1.5 priests, so with trinket, no priests required.

I actually find Netherspite the most problematic now, because I'm running KZ with seven DPS. Couldn't do it last night, no 2nd person for red beam other than an enhance shaman....
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Altare » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:05 am

My guild did Nightbane for the first time yesterday, and I was worried about the fears as we only had one priest. FW went the first time, bubble cancel the second, but the following fears we just left it to happen. Every single time he feared my, he kept his aggro on me. So it was a simple matter to not bother about bubble/cancel or trinket, as he never went for anyone else anyway. The only thing we had to watch out for was charred earth when I tried to reposition him after the fear broke. I was temporarily out of healing range also, but thanks to the druid I had plenty of HoTs that kept me up.
Altare

Postby Ashborne » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 pm

Maranus wrote:Fade provides a temporary agro reduction until further agro is generated, after the effect has been removed. They are similar in this respect, whilst Divine Shield and Blessing of Protection offer a complete reduction

Please don't say someone's explanation of an ability is incorrect, then offer an inconcise description.

Fade lowers yout threat by X amount..
DS drops you down to the lowest on the threat meter.
Taunt jumps you to the top of the threat meter.

DS = Reverse Taunt
DS <> Fade

Is that concise enough?
Ashborne

Postby Zepticon » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:06 am

How should those macros be?

have tried the one posted but need to press it twise to get it workin
Zepticon

Postby Tybalt » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:27 pm

Ashborne wrote:Fade lowers yout threat by X amount..
DS drops you down to the lowest on the threat meter.
Taunt jumps you to the top of the threat meter.

DS = Reverse Taunt
DS <> Fade

Is that concise enough?

This is incorrect.

Divine Shield does not put you lowest on threat. Your threat doesn't change at all, and any damage you do while shielded still generates threat. What it does do, however, is make you "immune", meaning that mobs will not target you unless there is no one else on the threat table.

Once you cancel the DS, you'll be right where you were before, plus any additional threat you gained while shielded.
Tybalt

Postby Ashborne » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:58 pm

Tybalt wrote:Divine Shield does not put you lowest on threat. Your threat doesn't change at all, and any damage you do while shielded still generates threat. What it does do, however, is make you "immune", meaning that mobs will not target you unless there is no one else on the threat table.

Oh Good Lord. It's the same thing.

When you are shileded with DS, mobs act exactly like you have the lowest amount of threat on the Threat List. Whether it ACTUALLY lowers your threat to lowest threat - 1, or lowers your threat to zero, or lowers your threat to negative infinity, or even removes you from the threat table entirely and places you in some sort of Twight Zone Threat Table, DOESN'T matter. After the shield is gone, your threat goes back to "normal".

Since we don't have access to the actual threat numbers, claiming one over the other is pointless. Functionally they are all the same thing. You are moved to the lowest on the threat list. Mobs WILL still attack you, but only if everyone else is dead or out of combat or immune themselves.

The original post claimed "DS and BoP work like fade". They clearly do NOT. Only in one respect do they perform slightly similar functions. But I would never categorize DS or BoP as working like Fade.
Ashborne

Postby Kihra » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:00 am

Ashborne wrote:
Tybalt wrote:Divine Shield does not put you lowest on threat. Your threat doesn't change at all, and any damage you do while shielded still generates threat. What it does do, however, is make you "immune", meaning that mobs will not target you unless there is no one else on the threat table.

Oh Good Lord. It's the same thing.

When you are shileded with DS, mobs act exactly like you have the lowest amount of threat on the Threat List. Whether it ACTUALLY lowers your threat to lowest threat - 1, or lowers your threat to zero, or lowers your threat to negative infinity, or even removes you from the threat table entirely and places you in some sort of Twight Zone Threat Table, DOESN'T matter. After the shield is gone, your threat goes back to "normal".

Since we don't have access to the actual threat numbers, claiming one over the other is pointless. Functionally they are all the same thing. You are moved to the lowest on the threat list. Mobs WILL still attack you, but only if everyone else is dead or out of combat or immune themselves.

The original post claimed "DS and BoP work like fade". They clearly do NOT. Only in one respect do they perform slightly similar functions. But I would never categorize DS or BoP as working like Fade.

Tybalt's distinction is important though. Your threat doesn't decrease at all, because you are still generating threat while attacking with Divine Shield up. It's incorrect to try to claim that your threat "drops to zero" because your threat is continuing to climb while Divine Shield is active. Once you cancel it your threat is not going to just be "where it was when Divine Shield was first activated." It's going to be even higher if you kept attacking while the shield was up.
Kihra

Previous

Return to Karazhan