Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby benebarba » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:06 am

Skye1013 wrote:As some have mentioned, what about various forms of martial arts? How many of those started out religiously based and are now primarily used to teach discipline and get exercise?

since I haven't had my swing at this horse, here goes:

in both western and eastern martial arts (at least the older ones), the religious/spirtual/mystical aspects generally come along for the ride because they are methods by which certain philosophical or mechanical concepts can concisely be described within the culture that generated the art. Once it begins to be removed from that context, stuff starts to seem either more 'mystic' or simply anachronistic.

Make no mistake, folks have made small (and some not so small) fortunes selling the mystical end. But that does not necessarily mean that the arts themselves were 'religious'... more that the originators practiced some specific belief system that was just a part of the cultural context for the art.
benebarba

Postby benebarba » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 am

Amusement: now that the temps have swung back up to like 70 degrees outside, my office has decided to turn the heat on.
benebarba

Postby Shoju » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:28 am

halabar wrote:Yes, yes, I'm the crazy paranoid one.. I should be open to everything... whatever.

This is my last reply on this topic.

Here is the basis of why I think everyone, including/especially Christians should be far more open to other cultures, religions, ways of life. It is a 2 fold point.

Now, I'm going to use a word in this reply, and I want to make sure that I squash the idiotic comments related to that word before they start.

a dictionary wrote:xen·o·pho·bi·a   [zen-uh-foh-bee-uh, zee-nuh-] Show IPA
noun
an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

I'm going to be using this term. When you think "Foreign", think "Not my Religion", and when you think "Strange" think something along the lines of "ZOMG YOGA IS BASED ON EASTERN RELIGIONS AND IS GOING TO MAKE MY KIDS SECRET HINDU AGENTS WTFBBQ QQ"

Point #1: The task of witnessing.
If you fall under the ever expanding umbrella of Christianity, you will know that the bible tells you to go forth and bring the message of God unto all the people. Sometime between when those words were spoken by Jesus, and 2012, someone got the idea that this meant that the best way to accomplish this, was to be borderline Xenophobic, claiming that everyone else is wrong, and that they are evil people. This has taken hold in churches, and you see far more people picketing in a "WBC" style. It's not always that.... "bad", but the same vein of "shock protest to bring you to God. What happened to the New Testament message of Love? Even Jesus found himself surrounded at times by sinners, and those who didn't believe. He didn't scream at them "YOU WILL ALL BURN IN THE LAKE OF FIRE FOR YOUR HEATHENISM!" The only time Jesus is said to have come even close to this type of behavior was in the temple, when he laid a beat down on the Pharisees and Sadducees. I personally feel that portions of the modern Christian / Catholic / LDS / Mormon (Believers in God/Christ) Church have fallen into that same ideology.

The basis of my whole point is, There are two ways to get your message across. You can go the "Jonah" route, which would probably be considered the Westboro Baptist "Shock Route" Or you can go the "Jesus and Mary Magdaline" Route where you sit, and talk, and explain, and be level headed route, where you learn and share knowledge.

The problem with the "Jonah" route, is that unless the populace knows that you were just "puked out by a whale", your shock rock story is just going to be shock rock.

Point #2: Protecting the rights and beliefs of others.
This is a serious pet peeve of mine. People are so quick and so decisive to defend their own rights, and freedoms of religion, that they are ready to trample, muffle, and dispose, of other people's freedoms. The Xenophobic tendencies that the people in all faiths show towards other faiths, is just disappointing. Instead of understanding that by standing with people of another religion when their freedoms are oppressed, or threatened, or trampled on, many (not all) people of faith will find it "ok" because "they were wrong anyway!"

Perpetuation of stereotypes is also a serious problem as well. IN this case, I feel that the constant push to ignore the statements that they have removed the religion aspects, and essentially turned it into Pilates Lite (64 calories, same great taste!), because you are phobic of your children learning and participating in something that isn't part of a very narrow world view, does a disservice to actual Hindu believers, and a disservice to yourself.

If people of faith would stop quarreling with other people of faith, and embrace the differences as what they are (culture, geography, and time), and work to protect all of their mutual, shared desires of freedom, we wouldn't have to worry about who prays where, and who does what.

I tire greatly of seeing people rail against something because "It's not my FAITH!", and they apply the argument arbitrarily to those things that bother them, or that they find "Icky"
Shoju

Postby Era » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:34 am

We're all church-burning communists here in Norway (which is a small town in northern Russia)! Sometimes we have religious field trips to the UK and fix their not-on-fire villages.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:44 am

Skye1013 wrote:Yes, yoga did start out with a basis of Eastern religions, however, I'm willing to bet that once it became a widespread form of workout, most of those ties were removed. Sure you focus on your breathing (maybe some groups actually discuss "chi"), but where in that are you suddenly following another person's religion? If they replaced "chi" with "holy spirit" would it suddenly be ok?

That's kinda the point. The nature of the "mediation" part of it requires something to focus on, and so, as I mentioned before, it's Chi, Holy Spirit, Inner Self, what-you-had-for-lunch. It can't really be neutral.

Again, if all they are doing is teaching the stretching and poses, where it amounts to low-impact pilates, then no one would care as much.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:47 am

benebarba wrote:in both western and eastern martial arts (at least the older ones), the religious/spirtual/mystical aspects generally come along for the ride because they are methods by which certain philosophical or mechanical concepts can concisely be described within the culture that generated the art...

True, but that's why you also see a lot of "christian" martial arts schools, where they replace the eastern themes with Christian themes.

At the end of the day, if it was an elective class, I wouldn't care (providing that classes with other alternate themes were available). But if it's a required class that parents need to hold their kids out of, that's a problem.

halabar

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:53 am

Shoju wrote:Perpetuation of stereotypes is also a serious problem as well. IN this case, I feel that the constant push to ignore the statements that they have removed the religion aspects, and essentially turned it into Pilates Lite (64 calories, same great taste!), because you are phobic of your children learning and participating in something that isn't part of a very narrow world view, does a disservice to actual Hindu believers, and a disservice to yourself.

One question... where's the equal time (in the school)?

We are NOT talking about cultural awareness here as you are trying to push it, we are talking about a class in a school for 10-year olds that potentially teaches some fundemental concepts of eastern religions.

halabar

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:00 am

halabar wrote:
Shoju wrote:Perpetuation of stereotypes is also a serious problem as well. IN this case, I feel that the constant push to ignore the statements that they have removed the religion aspects, and essentially turned it into Pilates Lite (64 calories, same great taste!), because you are phobic of your children learning and participating in something that isn't part of a very narrow world view, does a disservice to actual Hindu believers, and a disservice to yourself.

One question... where's the equal time (in the school)?

We are NOT talking about cultural awareness here as you are trying to push it, we are talking about a class in a school for 10-year olds that potentially teaches some fundemental concepts of eastern religions.

warning, incoming post will be full of snark and assholery
if you get offended...well ....oh well! you were warned

if you are that closed off to your kids learning about another culture/religion...home school them?
private school?

10 year olds learning how to calm down, focus on their breathing and doing stretching...yes this is HORRIBLE
at that age, i am pretty sure they arent grasping the religious side unless they are told this is what god/buddah/jehova wants you to do for your soul! and being it is in a public school, if that was happening i would be a bit upset too, but being in a public school....they really cant teach teh religious side so it is focusing more on just the physical act i assume

if it is a private school...who gives a f**k?
you dont like it? take your kid out of the school and stop paying tuition!

yes this can be veiwed as a flame post
no it wasnt meant as one, this is just meant as a rant

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Flex » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 am

This thread is dumb.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:23 am

Flex wrote:This thread is dumb.

just the current discussion

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:34 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:45 am

Klaudandus wrote:Image

agreed.

halabar

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:35 pm

A followup on the whole Italy being stupid regarding scientists and quakes
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/world/eur ... ?hpt=hp_t3
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Image

Priceless!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby benebarba » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:05 pm

Klaudandus wrote:A followup on the whole Italy being stupid regarding scientists and quakes
http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/23/world/eur ... ?hpt=hp_t3

And this is why you should just hang up or walk away when a non-scientist asks you for your opinion on something scientific. It's basically what we're told where I work: let the PR people handle that.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General