[10N] Elegon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10N] Elegon

Postby Juugimus » Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:48 am

Fenris wrote:Started trying it seriosly yesterday

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-2 ... 738&e=8144 I'll just say the results were less than what i hoped for

We basically managed only 1 try out of 16 with 2 adds during phase one,followed by only 2 sparks wave killed :(

I'm open to suggestions :?

We had DPS use 2 min cooldowns right at the start of the fight to make sure we don't get the third protector. Those cooldowns should be back up by the time the fourth set of sparks are up. It's really important to be able to get to your positions quickly when phase two starts without having to worry about an add.

How much DPS are you switching to the adds in phase 1? Are you using melee or ranged?

You should be able to kill the first three sets of sparks with no cooldowns. We assigned a DPS to every spark and assigned a tank to help the two lowest. We didn't find trying to get AoE damage on the adds very effective. We just single target nuke the boss then IMMEDIATELY switch over to the sparks when they form. When you see Elegon's channeling of Draw Power get down below a second, you should be ready to switch. Maybe have your DPS make a target macro for the sparks.

I'm guessing maybe your DPS is a little late switching targets if you are only able to get two waves.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:25 am

How much DPS are you switching to the adds in phase 1? Are you using melee or ranged?

2 rangeds on the try where we made it with only 2 protectors
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:30 pm

Another night,another set of "Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

We managed to get to second sub-phase with 2 protectors
Managed to kill 3 waves of sparks too (with some problems but it's doable)
We get wrecked by the cascade-spawning adds

Seems we can't find a way t deal with them (not without giving up a lot of uptime on the boss)

We tried keeping them alive and then nuking all of them down after the pylons but that doesn't seem to work well and i'm not sure if doing them as they spawn is a sensible tactic
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby daishan » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:58 pm

Fenris wrote:Seems we can't find a way t deal with them (not without giving up a lot of uptime on the boss)

We tried keeping them alive and then nuking all of them down after the pylons but that doesn't seem to work well and i'm not sure if doing them as they spawn is a sensible tactic

If you have a DK, kite the adds till the pylons are dead then get him to use un-glyphed army and have them tank the adds.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:07 pm

Fenris wrote:Another night,another set of "Mhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

We managed to get to second sub-phase with 2 protectors
Managed to kill 3 waves of sparks too (with some problems but it's doable)
We get wrecked by the cascade-spawning adds

Seems we can't find a way t deal with them (not without giving up a lot of uptime on the boss)

As you have no doubt noticed, those adds hit really hard and kill people really fast. I'd suggest trying to kite them. Maybe put down a frost trap or something that'll slow them. If you have a warrior, shockwave can AOE stun them. Druids can probably use their Vortex talent to keep the adds off people for however long it lasts. Basically, do whatever it takes to keep them from hitting anyone.

It's also wise to figure out which healers they tend to go to and drop a consecration/light's hammer on them if you're afraid you won't be able to get all the adds.

For my part, my side seldom had very many adds -- for some reason, my co-tank gets most of them. For positioning, we had tanks inside of the 3-pylons on their respective sides and when the pylons were down, our groups would meet at the middle-most pylon in our group of 3 and wait for the floor to reappear. I'd grab adds as they spawned and would make sure I was hitting HotR on them as often as necessary (to put the effect on the newly spawned ones), keeping ShoR up as much as possible, and stunning as many adds as possible. I'd even suggest that the glyphed version of our AOE stun might be useful here, acting as a 3 second reprieve if it actually works on them (and I'd imagine it does).

But, really, if you can avoid getting hit by them, try that. Kiting is effective, aoe stuns help, and cooldowns can keep you alive. If nothing else, activate a dodge trinket when you've got more than a few on you. And get them onto the middle floor as soon as it appears.

Also, I agree with the above poster on DKs and army.
Belloc

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:09 pm

Only one DK in guild ATM and he's up only for half of our raids,so can't really base a strategy on that ^^'

Guess i'll see if we can work out something from the other suggestions...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Darielle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm

If you kill Pylons one by one, he'll spend longer with the casting speed buff.

If you keep a bunch of Pylons at low health and then kill them in one go, you'll have pretty much no adds spawning except in those last few seconds before the floor reappears.
Darielle

Postby Rokh » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:29 pm

If you're getting to the enrage timer with 10 people alive, try killing LESS sparks.
We kill 4 sparks 1st time, then 3 sparks the 2nd time.
We used to kill 4, 4. but went into the final phase with about a min left.
at 4, 3 we go into the final phase with just over 2mim.

We also split out dps for pylons so they all die at the same time, results in very few adds.

We tank swap when an add spawns, and when an add dies, so what ever tank pulls the boss will be on adds 100% of the time.. keeps tank dmg low and saves on healer mana.

hope that helps, gl
Rokh

Postby Sagara » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:57 pm

In short, it's a time spent dps Elegon >< extra damage from a stack. It should be fairly mathematical to guesstimate.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Tebin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:52 pm

We completed two full cycles and got to the end, but he's sat on around 30% health with 40 seconds to go. Obviously his damage taken isn't linear, so he'd be taking 80% extra damage, plus time warp and potions and everyone just wailing on him for the last 40 seconds...but it still seems high.

Last raid we were running this setup:

Prot pala
Prot warrior

Ele shaman
Ele shaman
Demo lock
Fire mage
Rogue
Arms Warrior

Resto druid
Holy pala

Do groups usually leave some DPS on the boss in p1? We were getting too many adds in p1 (3 I think). One of our ele shamans is going to go back to enhance next lockout, she just thought that ranged might be better on this fight.

Likewise in p2, is there any merit in having 1 DPS per set of adds, plus tanks on one, leaving a DPS to hit elegon full-time?

I'd add to the people saying that you should single-target your own pillars in p3. We tried going around as a group and killing 2 at a time, but found by the last pair you were being swamped with adds. If each DPS instead kills the pillar their spark was going to, you end up with far fewer adds (I think we usually had somewhere between 4-12). I believe the adds are elemental, so glyphed holy wrath works pretty well here, as does frost nova, roots.
Tebin

Postby Schroom » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:09 am

how many adds do you people get on P3. Is it only the amount of time spend in p3 that defines the number of adds? (the longer those damn pylons stand the more adds you get)

also is there a way of controlling a bit where they spawn? in some tries we had 12 and more adds one side and none on the other. or is this completely random?
Schroom

Postby daishan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:33 am

We seem to get 6-10 adds, the right hand side always seems to get more to me, no idea why that is. Which is good for us as my monk co tank is that side and can kite them real easy. DK army is godly for the 2nd transition on the first we just have slows down and get back on the middle platform for the dps buff asap.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Tebin » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:55 am

He spawns the adds every X seconds, which speeds up for every pillar you kill. Thus, you really want to burn all the pillars at the same time so he's not sat zapping them out really quickly with a 5 pillar cast speed boost. They spawn on random raid members, no real way of controlling it.
Tebin

Postby Darielle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 am

Transitions and between adds, Elegon should be being absolutely railed on. Between the time he hits 50% and the time the add waves are done and pylons spawn, he should be being brought down to ~ 35%.
Darielle

Postby Schroom » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:06 am

Tebin wrote:He spawns the adds every X seconds, which speeds up for every pillar you kill. Thus, you really want to burn all the pillars at the same time so he's not sat zapping them out really quickly with a 5 pillar cast speed boost. They spawn on random raid members, no real way of controlling it.

I think this is key, my group grouped up in 2 teams an ran to kill 1 pillar after the other.

killing them simultaneously should make a huge difference.
Schroom

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)