Food, flasks, etc?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Food, flasks, etc?

Postby almightybooka » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey guys,
Any advice on what food and flasks are best value for a prot pally just starting N raids?
TY in advance
almightybooka

Re: Food, flasks, etc?

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:40 pm

I'd imagine that would be answered by the following (theck/treck/whomever else might have better knowledge, feel free to correct me):

1) Are you hit/expertise capped? If no, hit/exp (though if you're geared enough for raiding, I'd imagine this probably won't be an issue)
2) Does the boss consistently burst you down (even with optimal SotR?) Stamina
3) Is the boss primarily physical or magical damage?
- Physical: Mastery or Haste
- Magical: Stamina
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby almightybooka » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I was guessing stamina was always going to be the most likely, but for a small 10m guild we're finding flasks in general rather expensive to supply. It would be interesting to see how much you lose by choosing the (generally) cheaper elixir option, if anything. Of course, persisting through death is worth considering for progression content.
almightybooka

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:00 pm

Persisting through death and swapping from boss to boss (as I'm sure some people do) will cause their values to definitely change quite a bit. Honestly, I think it's easier/cheaper to swap the food buffs, so maybe stick with stam flasks and vary your food buff based on the fight.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:26 am

Remember that you only get Stamina or another stat from food now, not both. Stam flask + Stam food seems like the reasonable "default" option. You'll be able to hit/exp cap pretty easily in ilvl 470+ gear.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby daishan » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:47 am

How valuable do you think the armour elixir is? Think someone said it's got a lower budget than it had, but then it's the only way to get more armour besides higher ilvl items.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:06 pm

I think armor is now budgeted at 3:1 instead of 4:1 like it was in cataclysm. That said, I'm sure the armor elixir is good; armor+mastery or armor+haste is probably the budget option for consumables. The flask is quite a lot better though.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Extermi » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:44 am

At least according to my character sheet, the armor elixir increases the DR from 51% to a bit more than 52%, thus cutting the post-armor damage by ~2%, which is not bad. I use this together with mastery/haste elixir and STA food, yet for more than LFR and 10N raids you will problably not want to miss the raw HP the flask offers (roughly 5% of total HP).
Extermi

Return to Basic Training & Talents