Remove Advertisements

Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:32 pm

bldavis wrote:dammit i hate when i agree with flex!

on a side note

It's missing the propeller
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:57 pm

This made me lol more than it shoulda

http://www.timesofisrael.com/your-shwarma-or-your-life/
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:40 pm

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:56 pm

Gonna have to call you on that one. Yoga is certainly based on eastern religions.

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pāli: योग, /ˈjəʊɡə/, yoga) is a commonly known generic term for physical, mental, and spiritual disciplines which originated in ancient India.[1][2] Specifically, yoga is one of the six āstika ("orthodox") schools of Hindu philosophy. It is based on the Yoga Sūtras of Patañjali. Various traditions of yoga are found in Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism and Sikhism.[3][4][5]

While there is certainly a "westernized" form of Yoga, much of the way it is taught still has it's roots in eastern religion basics.

When it was mandated that as part of college class, I observed, rather than participated, in the mandatory class, and sure enough, much of the discussion and practice was all around "centers of energy, chi, etc".

I also don't think it's possible to totally remove the eastern influences from it, without replacing it with something else. There are "christian" versions of yoga, and even mystic jewish versions, but when you are told to meditate, you usually have some framework to that.

So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

So yeah, this doesn't fall into the normal insanity. The parents have a right to object.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:11 pm

Not sure this really qualifies as an amusement so much as a "dafuq?"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/2 ... 02848.html

Edit: Sorry, apparently this is already being discussed in frustrations... /shrug
Last edited by Skye1013 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I didn't say based, though, I said teaches.

Also, if the parents are objecting, then why don't they just pull the kids out instead suing over an extracurricular activity?

This is, to me, as dumb as if I decided to sue my high school over football encouraging head injuries.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:18 pm

halabar wrote:So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

Judging by the fact the article states that some parents have pulled their kids out of the class because they object... it's obviously an option, so the lawsuit threat is a tad overkill. It's not like the school is forcing every kid to attend these classes, is it?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:23 am

I heard someone refer to marxism as a "science and mode of analysis".

I giggled.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am

Skye1013 wrote:
halabar wrote:So the parents should at least have the option to opt their kids out of it, and if enough of the parents feel that way, the school should find another option. The fact that the effort is funded by a yoga 'school' that's making waves in that community also gives pause.

Judging by the fact the article states that some parents have pulled their kids out of the class because they object... it's obviously an option, so the lawsuit threat is a tad overkill. It's not like the school is forcing every kid to attend these classes, is it?

Depends. The article wasn't clear enough on that. Doesn't say if the district is providing an alternate class for these kids.

halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:07 am

Amirya wrote:I didn't say based, though, I said teaches.

But it does teach the fundamentals, which are really key to Hindu "theology" for lack of a better word.

Again, consider this is being funded by an outside group that certainly has an agenda to promote their belief system. (I'm also suprised the Mormon church in the area hasn't stepped into the fray on this, they are big down there).

halabar

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:13 am

All I'm hearing is

ZOMG MY KIDS MIGHT LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN MY INCREDIBLY NARROW PERSPECTIVE ABOUT THINGS OMG WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? WHY CAN'T MY KIDS JUST BE FORCE FED WHAT I WANT THEM TO KNOW!?

Sorry, I don't see what the big deal is. The article states that they have taken as much of the religion out of it as possible, and it's being used as a form of being active.

I'd be more worried about what little johnny and jenny are learning on the playground from their school friends than in a class about yoga.

But then, I'm the type of person who wants my kids to learn about all types of things, and then make up their own mind on what they believe.
Shoju

Postby Amirya » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:54 am

halabar wrote:Again, consider this is being funded by an outside group that certainly has an agenda to promote their belief system. (I'm also suprised the Mormon church in the area hasn't stepped into the fray on this, they are big down there).

I can't buy that at all.

Granted, it's been well over a decade, but when I was attending high school, the Mormon church had an arrangement with my (and presumably other public) high school, in which the "pre-first class" hour was seminary, and all the good Mormons went there to study.

I'm not Mormon, so I didn't attend. But by that logic, shouldn't my mother have been eligible to sue the public school system for "having an agenda to promote their belief system"?

Also, what's the difference between meditation and prayer? It's all about having a personal moment or few to connect with <whatever>, in the end.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:06 pm

Shoju wrote:All I'm hearing is

ZOMG MY KIDS MIGHT LEARN ABOUT SOMETHING OTHER THAN MY INCREDIBLY NARROW PERSPECTIVE ABOUT THINGS OMG WHY ARE THEY DOING THIS? WHY CAN'T MY KIDS JUST BE FORCE FED WHAT I WANT THEM TO KNOW!?

Sorry, I don't see what the big deal is. The article states that they have taken as much of the religion out of it as possible, and it's being used as a form of being active.

WTF?

So, if I have children, you as a school adminstrator can decide that I'm being narrow-minded and teach my kids what you feel is appropriate, including religions other than my own? FU

So it's OK for an atheist to sue about the pledge and "In God we Trust", but it's not ok for someone to be against a exercise system that a core part of Hindu meditation?

halabar

Postby halabar » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:37 pm

Amirya wrote:Also, what's the difference between meditation and prayer? It's all about having a personal moment or few to connect with <whatever>, in the end.

The difference is what you are focusing on. A higher power, your inner space, your energy center, what you just had for lunch.

Like I said, having gone through this in my college course, it was clear that while it was supposed to be religious-neutral, the instructor still has to give instructions on what to focus on. For yoga, it's inner-energy-chi-etc.

The core problem is that a 10 or 12 year old kid may not realize what the difference is from what he's taught at home.

halabar

Postby Era » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:42 pm

"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

PreviousNext

Return to General