Remove Advertisements

5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Re: 5.0 Tankadin FAQ - Protection Paladin Basics

Postby Sagara » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:05 am

Currently.

SoI being threat-tastic sounds a bit silly, and I wouldn't put it past Blizz to bitch-slap the seal's threat.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Melathys » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:33 am

One thing I miss about Final Fantasy 11's paladin vs WoW's is how in FFXI paladins healed themselves and others for threat. They were basically armored healers, which sounds very paladin-y to me. So using SoL sounds good to me.
Melathys

Postby Mozen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:52 am

Maybe I'm just been dumb. I would appreciate if anyone could enlighten me.

We're supposed to cast ShoR for the damage reduction as much as we can. So how come it sits right at the end of the "rotation"? Is it just there as filler? Would there actually be any time when all those other spells are on cooldown while we have a ShoR ready to fire?
Mozen

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:57 am

It's off-GCD, so really sits outside the priority list.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Mozen » Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 am

Oh, okay, I see. I've been leveling ret and didn't realize ShoR was off the GCD. Thanks!

Regarding Divine Purpose, it seems to proc quite often. I've even grown to expect it to proc just about every mob I kill. And often I expect it to proc multiple times per mob. I can't count the number of times I've had it proc for three times in a row. The longest streak I had was 8 procs back-to-back as I spam my Templar's Verdict.

Perhaps it could be paired with Harsh Words for, say, farming content?
Mozen

Postby daishan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 am

theckhd wrote:Level 75 talents
The L75 talents are a bit more interesting. We see that Sanctified Wrath is the leader in raw DPS, but not by much. Holy Avenger is within spitting distance thanks to the AS buff. Divine Purpose is still bringing up the rear in terms of raw DPS. The SBU% numbers tell a different story, though. Divine Purpose gives the highest average SotR uptime, with the downside being that it isn't controllable. Holy Avenger is a close second in SotR uptime and has the benefit of being an extra cooldown. Note that the actual uptime observed will be slightly lower than this estimate unless you use HA on cooldown. Sanctified Wrath comes in at a respectable third place in uptime, but also grants the 20% healing taken buff, which offsets that slightly.

Really, any of these three talents are fine as far as survivability. I think that HA and SW are the better choices for control reasons, but DP isn't all that bad either.

That's from Theck's MATLAB thread, it looks like the only benefit to taking Divine Purpose as a tank would be a little less total dmg taken but at the cost of control and lower dps.
I assume that if you used Harsh Words with all of the level 75 talents it would still be Sanctified Wrath > Holy Avenger > Divine Purpose in terms of dps.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Malourne » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Maybe someone could help me out here; I've been looking around and haven't really found an answer that satisfies me. I'm kind of wondering about the whole dodge/parry ratio. I have this macro...

/run d=GetDodgeChance() p=235.5*d/65.631440-((235.5/65.631440)*5.01-3.76) DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Ideal parry for current dodge: "..string.format("%.2f",p))

...which tells me my ideal parry for my current dodge. So does that mean if I'm over the ideal parry I should be reforging parry to dodge?
Malourne

Postby daishan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:15 am

The way I'm viewing the dodge parry ratio is if you can balance it great but I'm not worrying about a few extra % of parry when it would cost me a more desirable stat hit/exp/haste/mast to get the perfect balance.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Malourne » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:35 am

That's what I figured. Thanks, Daishan.
Malourne

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:22 pm

There's an error in the guide, the 2nd monk buff (Legacy of the white tiger) is 5% crit not might.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Andarael » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:49 am

"ShoR, so long as you have at least 3 HoPo (ideally 5)"
So, probably a dumb question, but why ideally 5? Don't we get the same 3 seconds of damage reduction whether we have 3 HoPo or 5, so letting it go to 5 just increases the chance that we'll waste a HoPo by hitting the wrong button?
Andarael

Postby daishan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:01 am

It's so in an emergency you can follow up SotR with a 2nd straight away or a WoG, if you always use SotR at 3 hp you don't have any holy power in reserve for when you take an unexpected spike of dmg.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Andarael » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:53 am

Ah, makes sense, thanks. I guess if you're a dufus like me that has a hard time keeping track of whether you have 3, 4 or 5 HoPo while doing other tanking duties, since ShoR is off the GCD you could just macro it to each ability in the rotation. That way you'll always cast it at 3 HoPo even if you don't hit the right button, and you would still have the option to do WoG instead. That would help guarantee maximum uptime of the ShoR buff for imperfect tanks. The drawback, as you point out, would be in not necessarily having the HoPo for WoG at the moment you need it. Of course we do have lots of cool downs nowadays...
Andarael

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:27 am

Get an addon, or work it into WeakAuras (I'd say Power Auras, but that blasted addon STILL hasn't been updated last I'd checked and it won't account for five holy power), and put your Holy Power stacks in the middle of your screen. Looking up to the top left (or wherever you've got it) is horribly inconvenient.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Andarael » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Thanks. Right now I'm using Move Anything to just drag the HoPo necklace thingy down near my buttons, but, well, there's still the dufus factor to deal with :-)
Andarael

PreviousNext

Return to Basic Training & Talents