Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Election 2012

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:09 am

So... uh... what is the religious stance on weed? I mean, I'm sure it's a sin or something, but I don't think I've ever heard of any Bible verses that speak out against it (maybe it's because people are too concerned about gays and babies to be all that worried about getting high...)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby aureon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:11 am

Skye1013 wrote:So... uh... what is the religious stance on weed? I mean, I'm sure it's a sin or something, but I don't think I've ever heard of any Bible verses that speak out against it (maybe it's because people are too concerned about gays and babies to be all that worried about getting high...)

The bible has no stances on weed, exactly like it has no stance on abortion. Gays are somewhat debatable, but still dubious territory, far beyond "earth is flat" territory.
aureon

Postby Thalia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:43 am

Skye1013 wrote:So... uh... what is the religious stance on weed? I mean, I'm sure it's a sin or something, but I don't think I've ever heard of any Bible verses that speak out against it (maybe it's because people are too concerned about gays and babies to be all that worried about getting high...)

Guess you can always use the "Your body is your Temple" to negate it, but that goes for anything that would harm your body or brain cells. My personal brain cell killer of choice is the pumpkin ale beers, I love them, everything else IMO is a waste of money and stinks to high heaven. Smell of weed makes me want to puke. Same thing with cigarettes, i can't stand hugging my mother in law she smells like an ash trey.
Thalia

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:50 am

what if you follow the school of hedonism?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Thalia » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:what if you follow the school of hedonism?

You know I don't know if it will really help. They are just gonna tax the weed like they tax the liquor here, to high heaven. I still get my alcohol, the good stuff, from California sometimes cuz they tax it so high here. They will do the same to the weed and people will still go get their weed from their weed dealers who will probably sell it at half price. Plus that still doesn't fix the spending problem.

The more revenue you get means you will find something to spend it on...well at least in government it usually does. Personally, I have seen my income quadruple over the last 7 years, yet so did my bills...sigh. But at least it was due to an investment, which is now self sustaining and starting to show profit (aka the comic book store).
Thalia

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:11 am

well, my comment was very tongue in cheek

and glad to hear the comic book store is doing well

also, yeah... govt will always find ways to spend money, just wish they were wiser about it

i mean, cutting education doesnt make much sense, although the education system in the us is broken...

i'll get into more detail later, but i am on my phone
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:18 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Brekkie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:40 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/20/arthur-allen_n_1992370.html?utm_hp_ref=politics

uuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh~

I am of two minds when it comes to this issue.

One the one hand, this is totally free speech. A CEO is just a citizen, and can advocate whoever they want. It's not the government's place to ban or place limitations on that kind of speech.

On the other hand, however, the employer-employee relationship is NOT an equal one, and these CEOs are definitely making their statements within the context of that employer-employee relationship using company email and throwing their titles around, not as one private citizen to another. There are definite undertones of "Vote the way I tell you to, or I will conduct massive layoffs to express my displeasure."
While technically legal, I think that kind of behavior is HIGHLY unethical.

If these CEOs merely wanted to express their free speech and make a persuasive appeal to voters, they should do something like write an opinion piece for a local newspaper.
Doing what they are doing smacks of coercion, not free speech.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:54 pm

If only corporations were subject to the UCMJ... that shit wouldn't fly at all.
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Unfortunately, I have almost no time to respond to a lot of this stuff over the last few pages, as I've been unexpectedly slammed with work. However, this issue keeps coming up and I just can't bite my lip any longer.

I'm honestly a bit mystified by the complaint here given that this sort of thing is standard operating procedure for democrats, it's one of their biggest and most effective strategies.

They go after the worker, with the same sorts of comments, through their unions. Often it's ethically worse though because unions also force workers to join (non right to work states), force them to pay dues, contribute those dues to political candidates regardless of the positions of their members, and "ask" their members to "volunteer" (is it really volunteering if they take role?) for all sorts of political things. Heck I used to work in a union shop, which was state employees, and the hallway bulletin boards were full of this sort of stuff.

Employers have all sorts of restrictions and risk significant legal exposure if they were to actually threaten, much less follow through, with retaliation for a vote which they can't even access anyhow. So they stick to the mantra that electing person X will cause us to lose money, and if we lose money we have to lay off workers. Unions can't really access that vote either, but they do make that exact same claim and they can and do coerce their members to support their candidates, and even ridicule them... http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/08/0 ... JT20120802 when they don't.

If Romney's phone call (which he's probably more than happy was recorded, because now folks are talking about something that the premise of which is that he's better for jobs), or bosses suggesting to their employees who to vote for bothers you, then you ought to be downright pissed about one of the primary strategies of the democrats.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Malthrax » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:16 am

Which just reinforces my thesis that "Any time a Liberal accuses a Conservative of doing something negative, its to divert attention from the fact that said Liberal just got done doing the same damned thing. Goose -> Gander."
Malthrax

Postby Brekkie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:39 am

It's just as unethical when unions do it. Agreed.

The main difference is, very very few people belong to a union. EVERYBODY has a boss. This is fighting fire with nuclear bombs.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:41 am

Brekkie wrote:This is fighting fire with nuclear bombs.

But it worked so well in WWII! >.>
Last edited by Skye1013 on Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:44 am

Brekkie wrote:It's just as unethical when unions do it. Agreed.

The main difference is, very very few people belong to a union. EVERYBODY has a boss. This is fighting fire with nuclear bombs.

I don't know about other unions, but I belong to the TSTA, which is the largest teacher's union in Texas and part of the NEA (which is the largest teacher union in the country) -- we do endorse candidates, and some of the money goes to their campaigns -- but I've never heard anyone say you gotta vote for X candidate. (And I used to be in the union's electoral committee)
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:49 am

Dude the AFL-CIO alone boasts 11 million members. Hell they were claiming that they would produce 400,000 "volunteers" to work for the Obama campaign. That's freaking nuclear!

I don't think you can compare that sort of organization to a recorded conference call. There is absolutely no question that the democrats use this tactic both more often and far more effectively.

Democrats have exactly zero moral high ground on this issue.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum