Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Election 2012

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:11 am

Melathys wrote:It seemed to me that no one actually answered a question. Take the women's issues for example, the question was about equal pay, not equal opportunities.

I'm amused how Obama touched on the Romney flip flopping meme... "You were for oil before you were against it."

Just like he was for tax cuts for 1% before he was against it?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Brekkie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Melathys wrote:It seemed to me that no one actually answered a question. Take the women's issues for example, the question was about equal pay, not equal opportunities.

Obama answered that question. He signed into law a bill addressing equal pay in the work place.

There were other questions he dodged, but that wasn't one of them.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby aureon » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:49 am

I'm amused how Obama touched on the Romney flip flopping meme... "You were for oil before you were against it."

Well, i think that debates are more to present the two views to the public, and they do that.
Of course, to those who followed the campaigns closely, everything's old, but if you know nothing of the candidates programs, the debate should tell something.
like, 0 capital gains taxes! middle class, don't you rejoice?
aureon

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:58 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:49 am

Some Girls Rape Easy? What? I.... The explanation... WHAT?! Trying to explain it like that.... Ugh... that's just terrible.

Then, Arizona hating on hispanics? REALLY? WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?!

And the Romney tapes... Man.. What a fugging moron. Has no one told him that there are these new fangled devices out there that can CAPTURE YOUR WORDS! IT'S VOODOO I TELL YOU!
Shoju

Postby Dantriges » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:20 am

Wow seems to me that the current republican candidate isn´t really aware how due democratic process works. Can´t be that these new americans or the poor actually get a vote... :roll:

To phrase it a bit sarcastic. Next time the corporations turn in the votes for their employees. They count them and cast one vote after the ballot. Or well just turn in their vote and scrap all this voting thing. We have to cut the deficit. :roll:
Dantriges

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:30 am

Klaudandus wrote:And then there's this
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/ ... employers/

Was actually just coming here to post this link... seems you beat me to the punch.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 am

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/10/17/c ... -question/
There's no republican war on women, eh?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Delphineas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 am

Koch brothers:"If we elect candidates who want to spend hundreds of billions in borrowed money on costly new subsidies for a few favored cronies

Wiat, what? my brain just blew a logic circuit.
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Brekkie » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:10 pm

I like how Ann Romney went on The View and equated going on Mormon missions to France, England, Australia, and Chile with serving in the military and deploying to a combat zone.

"They are just different ways of serving."

No they are freaking NOT.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Malthrax » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 pm

My give-a-crap-o-meter is pegging an all time low, guys & gals. You've got to do better - less rhetoric, more substance.
Malthrax

Postby Melathys » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:03 pm

Brekkie wrote:

Obama answered that question. He signed into law a bill addressing equal pay in the work place.

“In what new ways do you intend to rectify inequalities in the workplace? Specifically regarding females making only 72 percent of what their male counterparts earn.”

I haven't gone back to listen to the debate, but I still don't think he answered the question. If he did, it was very quickly done after which he went on to talk about everything but the question.
Melathys

Postby Delphineas » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Am I the only one who ISN'T offended by Roger Rivard's "Some women rape so easy." comment? It sure seems so, or maybe I'm one of the few who read the context.
OTOH, I look at it more from the lens that women get raped, men enjoy it bullshit. I think this could be spun to showcase how women largely just have to say it's rape and it's rape, whereas there is social stigma against men admitting the same, and even no law against said acts.

Course, I have a strong sense of fair play, which has gotten me in trouble before.
Fan of angels and catgirls.
Current MMO: EVE
Delphineas

Postby Brekkie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:57 am

Melathys wrote:
Brekkie wrote:

“In what new ways do you intend to rectify inequalities in the workplace? Specifically regarding females making only 72 percent of what their male counterparts earn.”

I haven't gone back to listen to the debate, but I still don't think he answered the question. If he did, it was very quickly done after which he went on to talk about everything but the question.

You know, part of me questions whether pay discrimination is really a thing, on a wide scale.

The statistic everyone quotes is that median full-time female pay is 77% of median full-time male pay.
But that is largely because some of the highest-paying fields like engineering, law, medicine, and finance are disproportionately populated by men, which throws off the median. Not because men and women are necessarily earning different amounts for the same equivalent job.

So the take-away is that more women need to go into the most lucrative fields of study, not that there is discrimination going on. The woman who asked the question is apparently a "pre-kindergarten teacher". Case in point.
Brekkie

Postby Darielle » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:47 am

I think this could be spun to showcase how women largely just have to say it's rape and it's rape, whereas there is social stigma against men admitting the same, and even no law against said acts.

That's not really the case. Yes, in high-profile cases, allegations are enough to be pretty damaging and the media will light it up, but when you get out of the high-profile arena, women who are victims of rape go through hell to get any real traction on the justice end. It's as much a social stigma as a man trying to get traction for being the victim, insofar as how you would actually measure "social stigma".

But I'm not from the US, so I have no idea if you have kooky laws that may or may not be region-specific that alter that. But do bear in mind that a lot of outrage over the statement is about the context/timing of it from what I understand of people making a fuss about it.
Darielle

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum