[10H] The Stone Guard

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10H] The Stone Guard

Postby timoseewho » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:12 pm

Hello, my guild's going to start attempting heroics in Mogu'shan Vaults starting with the first one tonight. Can anyone who's done it on heroic briefly shed some light on how the tiles work? I've looked through the journal but I can't seem to get a grasp on how the charges (from clicking on them crystals) work with relation to stepping on the tiles. Thanks a lot:).

So after a night of wipes, this is how the crystals and tiles work. A few minutes into the fight, the crystals (according to whatever color the week has) spawn, upon clicking a crystal, the player receives a debuff with 10 stacks. The debuff does noticeable DoT damage if the crystal color isn't the quilen color that is currently petrifying, but negatable with a defensive cooldown. To get rid of the stacks, the player must WALK (Disengage, etc. will not light up the crystals) over the WHITE tiles along the 2 sides of the room, eventually lighting them up. For every stack of debuff players get rid of from the crystals, the whole raid receives a corresponding damage/spirit increase buff. We noticed that the same crystals can be clicked multiple times. At 75 and 40%, the tiles and buff reset, forcing players to rebuild the buff from scratch. Lit up tiles do NOT do anything besides take up space for future debuff'ed players to drop.

Possibly one of the most annoying bugs is the current UI in MV bug where someone can't click on a crystal.
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho
timoseewho

Re: [10H] The Stone Guard

Postby Hespherus » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:10 am

So what were the causes of your wipes? Is the raid damage really high? I mean, if you do the tank swaps correctly, what else is there to really make it hard?
How many players can click on the crystal? Also can the same player get the debuff twice?

What would you say is the most hard guard ability to handle in HC, or combination of abilities?

Too many questions...i know. Hopefully youll be able to at least answer some of them. Thanks.
Hespherus

Postby Forgrim » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:22 am

can't say much about 10 man, but for 25 man, hitting a mine was akin to suicide if you didn't have a cd. the damage the tanks take is pretty intense, which is why the healers (myself included) get a buff to spirit to bomb our giant heals over and over on tanks.

the damage of chains, jade explosions, puddles, and most especially, those gd mines were what was killing the raid. besides that, its a pretty straightforward fight, just so much shit on the ground, that when the tanks are dragging mobs around, they have to watch very carefully not to step in anything because they in general take huge amounts of damage.

holy paladin seems really good here, considering most of the damage is in dot form and we can hand them to reduce that by 70% to stabilize their hp. also running execution sentence and sacred shield to stabilize even more.

we always seem to lose ppl when ppl are running around reapplying tiles after they deenergize, and also lost ppl to tiles not being lit up quick enough for bomb heals since people couldn't click the damn crystals!
Forgrim

Postby timoseewho » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Hespherus wrote:So what were the causes of your wipes? Is the raid damage really high? I mean, if you do the tank swaps correctly, what else is there to really make it hard?
How many players can click on the crystal? Also can the same player get the debuff twice?

What would you say is the most hard guard ability to handle in HC, or combination of abilities?

Too many questions...i know. Hopefully youll be able to at least answer some of them. Thanks.

Most of our wipes came to people just derp'ing to the blue mines, which sounds extremely silly. The other one is the UI bug, not allowing most people to click crystals:(. We've also had some where the tanks didn't swap correctly, but that fixed towards the end. I'd have to say the mines were the biggest thing, especially not getting a cobalt petrification to remove them. We've had all 3 take the crystals right off the bat in the beginning, but I'm not sure how often they 'refresh' (allowing you to re-click) and yap the same person can get the debuff twice.

I'm not sure what the hardest combination is, haven't thought about it much, but if this fight is anything like halfus in terms of set combinations per week, then the combination for this week is blue, green, red:).
<Guiles Theme Song> @ Magtheridon-US Horde 25-man, SoO-14/14H US#29, currently recruiting all
timoseewho

Postby PsiVen » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:50 pm

What positioning have you guys been using? It seems like it would be best for avoiding mines to have the MT kite around the outside Grobbulus-style while the raid follows roughly behind, while the OT keeps the lonely dog mostly in the middle for the whole fight.

Bubble + Sprint appears to be great for clearing minefields as well, but I don't know if that still works on Heroic.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby timoseewho » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:20 pm

Yap, those spells still work on heroic, we used bubble when it got a little messy with mines and couldn't get a blue petrification without it overloading instantly.

As far as tanking, we had the tanks tank the quilens on the 2 sides of the room while the raid stood in the middle.
timoseewho

Postby Hespherus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:39 am

Wiped 3 hour last night on this fight, mostly due to people randomly dieing to cobalt mines. Also fight was considerably harder when only like 2 out of the 5 dps were able to click on those damn crystals.

It makes a big difference if you can have 50 stacks right off the bat or 10-20. Do you guys reckon we should go for even more than 50(when theyll fix the bug)?.

All in all a very unforgiving fight and you couple that with the clicking bug, just makes it really hard to do.
Hespherus

Postby timoseewho » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 am

Hm, when we did it last night, the bug with clicking seemed to be fixed.

I believe the best is to aim for 60-70 during each breakpoints. We try to stack to 70 ASAP in the beginning of the fight since there's really nothing to dodge or be aware of.
timoseewho

Postby Hespherus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 am

That would be on US. Im on EU, the patch dropped this morning afaik.
Hespherus

Postby Winkle » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:09 pm

Tried this fight for the 1st time tonight, the majority of our wipes were from two dogs getting to close in energy and exploding in quick succession (the first being the pretifying one).

Any tips for dog control (with reagrds energy)?
Winkle

Postby Gab » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:38 am

Winkle wrote:Any tips for dog control (with reagrds energy)?

The method we employed, and ended up being very effective, was having one tank (MT) assigned to two dogs for the entire fight.

The MT would always have the petrified dog and whichever of the other two had lower energy while the OT would always have the higher of the two that weren't petrified. Often times this required a swap. Whenever the single dog became petrified the OT would taunt the dog that hadn't just overloaded and the MT would taunt the newly petrified solo dog.

This insured that no dog ever overloaded when it wasn't supposed to, the only draw back was that occasionally we would see a very short Cobalt (or Jasper) petrification so wouldn't have a whole lot of time to mine sweep (or break chains).

This also helped boost tank dps significantly since the tank who was at higher vengeance, the MT, never had to dps a dog that had Solid Stone.

Paladins are EXTREMELY strong on this encounter. I was the MT for our kill and ended up doubling or nearly doubling the DPS of any single DPS and I also topped the healing meters. Not only that but I took approximately equal damage to our Druid OT who was only tanking one dog and who had a signifcantly higher Ilvl (I was at 469 he was at 480 with a BMAH belt and a few lucky Galleon drops). The ShoR buff is crazy good against Rend Flesh.
Gab

Postby stevos » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:38 am

What lvl90 talent are you using to put out so much healing?
stevos

Postby Brokenone » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:44 am

It isn't the level 90 talent that does most of the healing. Most of the healing comes from Sacred Shield, Seal of Insight, and Battle Healer. The first two scale up based on your damage so that's why they come out so large.
Brokenone

Postby stevos » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:53 am

Yeah I know, but curious what level90 talent was used.

I used the seal and glyph, but didn't get anywhere near that level of output.
stevos

Postby Gab » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:34 am

stevos wrote:Yeah I know, but curious what level90 talent was used.

I used the seal and glyph, but didn't get anywhere near that level of output.

I use Light's Hammer for all of the MSV encounters. The healing from that thing is insane in intense raid damage situations.

For some encounters the extra damage from Execution Sentence might make a difference although I've yet to need it but that could change as we go up against some of the tighter DPS encounters.

Broken is correct, the majority of healing comes from SoI, Battle Healer and Sacred Shield in that order. Remember the more vengeance you have the more you will be healing with all 3 of those as well as WoG and L90s so it really depends on whether or not you are tanking two dogs for the entirety of the fight.

If you have a vengeance tracking add-on then timing sacred shield applications with higher vengeance is noticeably helpful. Obviously you don't want to sacrifice any holy power generation to do this though.
Gab

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)