Remove Advertisements

Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Fenris » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:02 pm

From the last batch of hotfixes

Pet Battles

Pet Battle matchmaking has been improved. The pets on each team involved in the battle will now be closer in level with each other.

If only....Either the hotfix wasn't up today before my raid-time or it's not working that well....

(My team is 13/12/11,i've been placed 3 times in a row VS the same guy with a 14/13/12)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Jabari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:42 am

Fenris wrote:From the last batch of hotfixes

Pet Battles

Pet Battle matchmaking has been improved. The pets on each team involved in the battle will now be closer in level with each other.

If only....Either the hotfix wasn't up today before my raid-time or it's not working that well....

(My team is 13/12/11,i've been placed 3 times in a row VS the same guy with a 14/13/12)

Problem is that there simply aren't going to be all that many people in that level range. Everyone is going to either be at 1, or headed to 20. That's kinda a frustrating level to be at - it's pretty slow going until you can get to about 17/17/17 (to beat the last Kalimdor/EK trainer) to open the dailies up - gets much quicker after that.

Also, I'd think a 12/12/12 group would be better than a 13/12/11 - still going to be tough of course, but there's no real penalty for losing as long as you are just questing while waiting on the Pet PvP queue - you have to heal in-between each one anyway.

I'd try to even those up if you can. Especially if they changed it so that it's just trying to match the "highest level of group" evenly to stop nonsense like someone bringing a 25/1/1 team to destroy the 9/9/9 teams...

Finished the Outland group yesterday, which was nice. (The final one in SMV is the first with rare-stat pets - took my 22/22/22 three tries against the 24s), and I can now just grab whatever wild pets now too regardless of zone. Got a couple rares from Vale of Blossoms just doing dailies which was pretty cool.

Nice link: http://www.warcraftpets.com/
Has lists of pets/locations and attacks and such. Can't do a "find pets by attack name", but wowhead can do that.

(From wowhead searches, the [Turret] is completely unique. [Wild Magic] is only on a couple things - the Voodoo Figurine/Sen'jin Fetish and Azure Whelp.)

Must-have pet: The Summer-only Humanoid from Silithus - great spread of good attacks. Can't get him until next year though! *laugh*

A couple bugs I've found:
- If a pet dies, any residual effects that it applied stop working (poisons / burning / falling rocks / turrets etc), which isn't true if the pet is swapped out. Possibly intended but doesn't make any sense.
- I've had my Mechanical Resurrection simply not trigger a couple of times. Not sure why - it's always worked before but didn't yesterday (much). Undead one has been fine.
- Can't remember which one it was now, but one of my DoTs only lasted 2 turns when the tooltip said 4.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:38 am

Jabari wrote:- Can't remember which one it was now, but one of my DoTs only lasted 2 turns when the tooltip said 4.

One race (don't remind which one) has reduction in debuffs duration, most likely it affected it.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:41 am

Aquatic pets reduce DoTs by 25%. Critters break out of crowd control more easily.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fenris » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:01 am

Also, I'd think a 12/12/12 group would be better than a 13/12/11 - still going to be tough of course, but there's no real penalty for losing as long as you are just questing while waiting on the Pet PvP queue - you have to heal in-between each one anyway.

I was trying to keep it balanced levelwise but thanks to people with overleveled pets i either get destroyed or manage to win with only 1 pet alive

=> the one that remains alive gets all the exp and starts leveling faster than the others

One race (don't remind which one) has reduction in debuffs duration, most likely it affected it.

There is also a weather effect that cuts dots down (rain if i recall right)
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby Jabari » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 am

KysenMurrin wrote:Aquatic pets reduce DoTs by 25%. Critters break out of crowd control more easily.

DoT damage reduction, not duration (according to the tooltip, at least). Wasn't a Critter either (and even it if was a DoT is not the same as a web/frog).

Cleansing Rain weather effect reduces harmful DoT duration by a turn, but that definitely wasn't up at the time.

Speaking of: Team idea would be a Cleansing Rain-based all Aquatic team. +25% damage is a nice buff for 9 turns. Only problem is that it seems like half the pets have a Flying attack of some sort, and I haven't seen an Aquatic with a Magic attack to take care of flyers easily.
(That said, [Frog Kiss] is still the most annoying thing I've come up against...)

Oh, adding to the possible bug/clarification needed list. Attacks that "build" ([Frog Kiss], [Arcane Blast]) seem to "reset" back to initial damage upon the opponent's pet being killed or swapped. I guess I could understand it if you swap your own out, but it should keep building against a different enemy...

Fenris wrote:I was trying to keep it balanced levelwise but thanks to people with overleveled pets i either get destroyed or manage to win with only 1 pet alive

=> the one that remains alive gets all the exp and starts leveling faster than the others

*nod* - I need to balance my own as well. I went from 22/22/22 to 22/22/24 - the Gnome was either the only guy alive or the only one I used for half the Pandaria wild battles I've done. Probably just need to grind a bit with the lower two - they should catch up pretty quick. *shrug*
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:29 am

I was going off the tooltip myself, and it doesn't seem clear at all if it means damage or time. Says "Harmful damage over time effects are reduced".

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:05 pm

Jabari wrote:A couple bugs I've found:
- If a pet dies, any residual effects that it applied stop working (poisons / burning / falling rocks / turrets etc), which isn't true if the pet is swapped out. Possibly intended but doesn't make any sense.
- I've had my Mechanical Resurrection simply not trigger a couple of times. Not sure why - it's always worked before but didn't yesterday (much). Undead one has been fine.

I've noticed both of these with my mini-Thor. The res "bug" usually occurs if it triggers near the end of a fight, then I immediately get into another fight and he dies within a couple of turns.

As for dots, I've never had an issue with my dots ending if the pet dies. On the other hand, with Minefield, it won't trigger if mini-Thor is taken out. If he's switched, he'll jump in for a second and detonate the mines when triggered. I don't think I've had any issue with his grenade not triggering after death.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:25 pm

So I was out doing a bit of levelling today and happened to catch a rare-quality Fire Beetle. Looking at its moves, it actually looks pretty good. So now I'm trying to decide if I should swap it in for one of my other team members.

Until now I've used: Magical Crawdad, Phoenix Hatchling, Creepy Crate

The beetle's Scorched Earth spell would work well with the Phoenix's level 20 Conflagrate. Alternatively it has Apocalypse and a self-heal.

I like the Crate for Death Grip and Agony, but I'm underwhelmed by it over all. Crawdad is a very tanky pet. What do you think, would you swap a Fire Beetle for one of these three?

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fenris » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:26 pm

Not sure..I got a rare one too a few days ago but i never considered it since i'm already using a scorchling

BTW,the hotfix sure seems to work fine

My team is at 16/16/16

Tonight i met

18/17/13 4 times
17/17/18 2 times
18/13/15 3 times
17/17/17 once

At this point,i auto-give up every time i see a pet at higher level....
ImageImage
ImageImage
Fenris

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:41 pm

I've seen a load of stuff like that tonight. Almost every team was above me. At one point it was 16/16/15 against 14/13/13. Think I went up against a 17 once or twice.

I beat one of the really bad ones, because they used a Creepy Claw that could only cast DoTs and heal, and my Crawdad was taking less damage than his HoT gave back.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

a whole bunch of battle pet associated with raid zones popped up on mmo-champion today. I am colored intrigued.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah, looks like they've added a few pets to each of the classic raids (and Naxx), plus an Achievement for collecting them all.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Invisusira » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:53 pm

5.1 is relavent to my interests
Invisusira

Postby Flex » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Yeah, looks like they've added a few pets to each of the classic raids (and Naxx), plus an Achievement for collecting them all.

3 each to the 4 classic raids. Drop from bosses, relatively high chance to drop. Both 10 and 25 Naxx drops them.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General