Remove Advertisements

Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Passionario » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:45 am

Sabindeus wrote:Did you guys talk to her before setting out? I feel like her anger towards the Horde is entirely justified.

She's from Southshore. So, yes, it is.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:21 am

benebarba wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Did you guys talk to her before setting out? I feel like her anger towards the Horde is entirely justified. Remember that at this point in the storyline not only did the Orcs drive humans out of Stormwind in the Second War, but then the Undead massacred Lordaeron in the Third War, and now the Forsaken destroyed Southshore with the plague, killing all its inhabitants, including Sky Admiral Rogers' family.

So yeah I'd say her unwillingness to accept surrenders from unarmed Horde soldiers makes sense in character.

100% agreed - I did talk to her, and so when it happened and her entire bearing was not a surprise. I actually liked it: it gave us (Alliance players) an undeniable hardass war commander ("Put your big boy pants on, Taylor.")... something after Cataclysm (and Theramore/Southshore) was needed. And the fact that she made the call she did was awesome: it completely made sense in context of her character, though I'm not so sure about Rell's response... He is a night elf assasin (*cough*Ashenvale & Stonetalon *cough*), right? I guess perhaps he's got some sort of serious forgiving streak ala Malfurion?

absolutely, we needed a real hardass commander to be more proximal to the fighting than Varian himself. Taylor is great as a character but he's been through too much shit to be That Guy.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby benebarba » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:30 am

I guess a followon - was Rell developed much prior to that first series of quests? I don't have much of a read on the guy... but he seems a little different than I'd expect. Clearly he's the leader of the SI-7 unit we deploy with in Pandaria, but compared to the others (forget their names at the moment - the human sharpshooter and the dwarf) he seems almost downright pacifist or at least far more interested in recovering Anduin and keeping his people safe than in fighting the horde. That, I think strangely, seems to be Taylor's bag - maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like fighting the horde took on more for him than recovering Anduin.

On the one hand, I guess it makes sense: Taylor is a veteran commander of groups of soldiers marooned on a foreign land without support, not an experienced special operative sent with a single purpose. But on the other, he dropped the ball and I would think would be interested in doing whatever he could to secure Anduin.

But perhaps it's the seemingly toss-away story of the Pearlfin Jinyu that makes it seem that way to me? After we royally screw up and in no uncertain terms get told to GTFO of the Jade Forest until we redeem ourselves, they seem to have lost all story presence or were completely wiped out(we certainly didn't try to save any after the battle, if any survived at all).
benebarba

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:37 am

benebarba wrote:I guess a followon - was Rell developed much prior to that first series of quests? I don't have much of a read on the guy... but he seems a little different than I'd expect. Clearly he's the leader of the SI-7 unit we deploy with in Pandaria, but compared to the others (forget their names at the moment - the human sharpshooter and the dwarf) he seems almost downright pacifist or at least far more interested in recovering Anduin and keeping his people safe than in fighting the horde. That, I think strangely, seems to be Taylor's bag - maybe I'm misremembering but it seemed like fighting the horde took on more for him than recovering Anduin.

On the one hand, I guess it makes sense: Taylor is a veteran commander of groups of soldiers marooned on a foreign land without support, not an experienced special operative sent with a single purpose. But on the other, he dropped the ball and I would think would be interested in doing whatever he could to secure Anduin.

But perhaps it's the seemingly toss-away story of the Pearlfin Jinyu that makes it seem that way to me? After we royally screw up and in no uncertain terms get told to GTFO of the Jade Forest until we redeem ourselves, they seem to have lost all story presence or were completely wiped out(we certainly didn't try to save any after the battle, if any survived at all).

I think the SI-7 unit in general is more concerned with recovering Anduin simply because they were tasked by Varian directly with that mission. Remember that SI-7 is special ops whereas they were travelling with straight military. So Admirals Rogers and Taylor are more focused on the overall military campaign whereas the SI-7 guys have a specific job to do.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Previous

Return to General