Paintball Reenactment of OBL Kill Mission

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Paintball Reenactment of OBL Kill Mission

Postby Brekkie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:42 am

http://blog.foreignpolicy.com/posts/201 ... c=obinsite

In New Hope, Minnesota, a former SEAL has created a reconstruction of the Abbottabad compound and runs roleplay scenarios where you can pay $315 to reenact the SEAL Team 6 raid and shoot a roleplayer dressed as Osama Bin Laden.

I can understand the sentiment, and I think that would actually be kind of cool to do if done right, but I can't get away from the feeling that it is in kind of poor taste.

What does everyone think? Cool or stupid?
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Re: Paintball Reenactment of OBL Kill Mission

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:29 am

From the article: "The experience is also available as part of a romantic couples package, so fear not if it's date night and you're jonesing for a targeted killing fix." OH SO ROMANTIC.

It does sound pretty distasteful, but I can see why he's done it. Unfortunately, subbing in a no-name threat wouldn't have had the same impact that putting "OBL" in there has. Still gives me the creeps though.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Malthrax » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:12 am

Hey, what do you know... someone else for fundamentalist Muslims to riot over. Which embassy is next?
Malthrax

Postby Brekkie » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:32 am

Nikachelle wrote:From the article: "The experience is also available as part of a romantic couples package, so fear not if it's date night and you're jonesing for a targeted killing fix." OH SO ROMANTIC.

LOL yeah I saw that.

The thing I don't understand about this concept is that, to be honest, from the descriptions the OBL wasn't particularly exciting.
They breached the compound, shot a couple bewildered teenagers, and then shot OBL in the face when he poked his head out. It's not like it was some kind of epic Jason Bourne moment or something.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Barathorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:49 am

Malthrax wrote:Hey, what do you know... someone else for fundamentalist Muslims to riot over. Which embassy is next?

You would think by now that 'somebody' might have realised that while as a country the USA might be very careful protecting its borders now, it can't always protect its servants overseas to the level required even if it thinks it can.

I mean seriously, in light of all what has happened you are giving more slights to an area with a high level of political/religeous unrest. Surely someone should have said, actually, that's just not a good idea so we aren't letting you do that.

Hate to break it to you, but you aren't the only country dealing with the shit that is going on in that part of the world and yet you still let things destabilize because of stunts like this?

1 step forward, 5 steps back.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Brekkie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:19 am

You say that like we can control what every single idiot redneck does.

Or what every idiot islamist does, for that matter.
Brekkie

Postby Barathorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:49 am

Brekkie wrote:You say that like we can control what every single idiot redneck does.

Or what every idiot islamist does, for that matter.

Yeah and I agree obviously you can't control people being idiots but for things like this where there is obviously an opportunity to say 'This isn't going to end well considering the current climate so please don't do this' then something has to be said. The guy running it is a former SEAL and he thinks this is ok? I can't get my head around that sorry.

I just see no reason to provoke volatile people when the only gain is financial.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

Weeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll....

As really stupid as it sounds, Bara, I can see said idiot also deciding to do this now, to inflame this situation to try and 'prove' that President Obama has a precarious hold (whether you agree or not he does).

"Oh look, another flare in the Middle East, he can't handle that blah blah blah."

Either that, or for some reason, these SEALs are a lot dumber than I anticipated.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 am

Amirya wrote:Weeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllllllll....

As really stupid as it sounds, Bara, I can see said idiot also deciding to do this now, to inflame this situation to try and 'prove' that President Obama has a precarious hold (whether you agree or not he does).

"Oh look, another flare in the Middle East, he can't handle that blah blah blah."

Either that, or for some reason, these SEALs are a lot dumber than I anticipated.

Well in that case my dearest Ami Queen of Cool all I can say is that is just plain old batshit crazy. The SEAL needs to smell the coffee and get a reality check. I can't believe that anyone could in these times use peoples well being and safety as potential vote swingers.

We had it in this country with Tony 'Why does no-one like me' Blair when he lied about WOMD's and he is now one of the most despised men in the country along with his money grabbing shewitch of a wife who lined her own pockets very nicely with the human rights act.

As I said, Batshit Crazy.

Barathorn

Postby Amirya » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:23 am

Barathorn wrote:I can't believe that anyone could in these times use peoples well being and safety as potential vote swingers.

See, I'm the other way. I'm not surprised when people use well being and safety as potential vote swingers. (Bear in mind, I don't know that this clown is actually doing that, he could just be in it for money or notoriety.)

My roommate was joking the other day that I should run for office in four years, and I'd only need one term to get Republicans and Democrats to unite in their efforts to get rid of me.

Unfortunately, punching the idiots is severely frowned upon and the politicians would look bad with broken noses.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:08 pm

well msot of them have thier heads so far up their asses that you wouldnt be able to tell anyway
and if you do run for office, let me know and i will move to AZ to vote for you!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Arnock » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Although I agree that something like this is in poor taste, Somehow I don't think that this will invoke quite the same reaction as things like the danish comics a few years back or the more recent inflammatory video posted a few months ago.

Those specifically attacked and insulted Islam, its founder and followers. If I'm remembering things correctly, the "Innocence of Muslims" video was made with an intent to incite violent reactions in the middle east.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Barathorn » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:33 am

Arnock wrote:Although I agree that something like this is in poor taste, Somehow I don't think that this will invoke quite the same reaction as things like the danish comics a few years back or the more recent inflammatory video posted a few months ago.

Those specifically attacked and insulted Islam, its founder and followers. If I'm remembering things correctly, the "Innocence of Muslims" video was made with an intent to incite violent reactions in the middle east.

I agree I don't think its 'as' bad. However in this case,

Barathorn ROL no 11 applies - Do not add fuel to an existing fire unless you wish to curtail your eyebrow growth. And get a nice tan.

Barathorn

Postby Aubade » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 am

Barathorn wrote:The SEAL needs to smell the coffee and get a reality check. I can't believe that anyone could in these times use peoples well being and safety as potential vote swingers.

Welcome to American politics, where absolutely nothing matters as far as life/liberty/happiness except making sure your party/you win the election next year.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Passionario » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:38 am

Nikachelle wrote:It does sound pretty distasteful, but I can see why he's done it. Unfortunately, subbing in a no-name threat wouldn't have had the same impact that putting "OBL" in there has. Still gives me the creeps though.

I suppose the vanilla version ("enact your murderous fantasies of hunting down a live human target with automatic weapons!") was deemed to be too niche for general public*, so they had to add OBL for extra incentive.

(*) Which, I guess, says something good about humanity. :)
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Next

Return to Arkham Asylum