Pet Battles

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Pet Battles

Postby Jabari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:20 am

KysenMurrin wrote:There are really quite a lot of effects that you set up and they just damage the active pet every turn like that, though not many as a visible object like the turret. The ones that come to mind include the squirrel one that rains nuts on you every turn, and some of the weather-based ones.

Sure, but the Turret attacks 3 times every round (hopefully with each "shot" enhanced by the Wild Magic debuff). Plus I can have 2 Turrets down at the same time. The squirrel-nuts and such only hit once a round. :)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby jere » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:38 am

Are there any good resources yet on pet battle team building? I've been dorking around on google this weekend, but most just list the abilities and individual weaknesses of pets. I was more looking for team cohesion.
jere

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:52 am

The deal is, you in theory want 3 pets of 3 different types, all with 3 different attack types, so every pet can fight against 3 types. In a perfect world, you aim at having 9 different attacks.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 am

So you don't go for certain pet ability combos that synchronize well (if that is even possible)? It's more about diversity?
jere

Postby Cogglamp » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:06 am

I'm having fun with my Li'l XT, Gregarious Grell, and Hyacinth Macaw. I have zero clue as to what I'm doing but beating up critters is proving to be lots of fun.
Cogglamp

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 am

Jabari wrote:Interesting. Have a source for that?

Quality is basically the total points it can spend on things, not how they're spent. So a captured rare can have more health, or attack or speed than one you're using, especially if you're using one without a bias.

Jabari wrote:Last question: Addons

There's one named Enhanced Pet Journal or similar to that,

It color codes the pet journal, shows the bias of the pet (a heart if it has more health than normal for example), filters by zone and adds multiple sorting options.

Invisusira wrote:rare baby ape on my first catch aww yeeee

I have yet to see it rain on that island when I've checked.

Did get lucky and got a sandstorm in Tanaris and got a silithid hatchling after circling for a half hour.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Jabari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:31 am

jere wrote:So you don't go for certain pet ability combos that synchronize well (if that is even possible)? It's more about diversity?

Hmm - I think you'd want both.

(Hence my current idea to build around [Wild Magic]. [Turret] is probably the best compliment to that (assuming it combos as I think it should), but there are lots of things that hit 2-3 times if you hit first that would be nice with it as well. My Forest Moth has [Moth Balls] - 5 attacks but high chance to miss, maybe that's good too.)

Another idea would be to use something like a Skunk (or something that has the attack that reduces opponent's chance to hit each turn) and some strong self-heals and just outlast the other team.

The problem is that a pet-swap costs a full turn, and that's a pretty harsh penalty for setting up combinations...
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:46 pm

I never really put this much thought into my team. Probably why I'm not doing well lately. :lol:

I'm using Magical Crawdad, Phoenix Hatchling, and Creepy Crate. Around level 12 atm. Apparently the Crawdad is the highest health pet in the game, I found out long after I'd started levelling it already. I don't think the tema's working together all that well atm.

I'm stuck on what to do with them when I unlock the attacks. Phoenix, for example, has long duration damage aura OR conflag, which hits double when enemy's Burning - but it looks like the only way to get Burning up is to swap Phoenix's self-heal for Immolate. Which doesn't seem like a great trade. I dunno.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I never really put this much thought into my team. Probably why I'm not doing well lately. :lol:

I'm using Magical Crawdad, Phoenix Hatchling, and Creepy Crate. Around level 12 atm. Apparently the Crawdad is the highest health pet in the game, I found out long after I'd started levelling it already.

I'm stuck on what to do with them when I unlock the attacks. Phoenix, for example, has long duration damage aura OR conflag, which hits double when enemy's Burning - but it looks like the only way to get Burning up is to swap Phoenix's self-heal for Immolate. Which doesn't seem like a great trade. I dunno.

There's a weather effect called Scorched Earth that deals minor damage to all active pets each round but makes all pets Burning.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Hrm. I just won a random PvP battle, my 12/12/11 team against a 14/10/10, used all my pets, none died, but I got zero xp at the end...

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jabari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:11 pm

Flex wrote:Quality is basically the total points it can spend on things, not how they're spent. So a captured rare can have more health, or attack or speed than one you're using, especially if you're using one without a bias.

Ah. I've gotten 2 different uncommons (same pet and level) with different "stat spreads", but it looked like they were pretty balanced with each other (not just a pure bonus to one or another stat), so that's fine. I can stick with my pre-owned rares then. :)

Current team is all level 19: Clockwork Gnome, Dark Whelpling, (rare) Forest Moth. The Moth was a Small Frog, and a Strand Crawler before that - the Whelpling's "weather effect" cuts all healing down so I had to get a non-healer for the group. Leveling an Elementium Geode for [Wild Magic] - shouldn't take too long assuming the Kalimdor dailies reset properly.

(Far quicker to do those than fight wild creatures I think. I got the Geode from 1 to about 8 yesterday just going in order until it wouldn't get XP anymore from being too low).

Hmm - The Whelpling's weather effect makes everything Blinded. Anything with that as a precondition (as the Whelpling itself doesn't have anything keying off that)?

(Edit1: Voodoo Figurine, not Elementium Geode - had them mixed up)
(Edit2: There are a few things that trigger off Blindness (double-damage from particular attacks), but hardly anything that seems worth losing a turn swapping. *shrug*)
Last edited by Jabari on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabari

Postby Jabari » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Hrm. I just won a random PvP battle, my 12/12/11 team against a 14/10/10, used all my pets, none died, but I got zero xp at the end...

Did he run away by chance? Check your achievement to see if you got credit - I had someone do that after I killed their first pet and got no credit for anything...
Jabari

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:13 pm

I usually get XP when they flee. I killed all his pets. The battle seemed to zone me out quicker than usual, though, while my pets were still getting the heal they get right before the xp on a win...

Edit: Gah, the high/low/low teams are out in force tonight. Almost every battle has involved one level 14 on the opposing team. This, however, is where Death Grip actually works. So long as they don't decide to just use the following turn to swap back. Ideally I'd set up a whirlpool with Crawdad, pop out the Crate, then Death Grip the lowbie in just as the damage goes off. Hits hard & locks the pet in for 2 turns, but costs 2 no-damage turns to pull off. (Death Grip also good for finishing a pet off when they pull it onto the back line at low health.)

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Skye1013 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Does death grip trigger the "swap a creature" effects like the mines that mini-Thor has? I hate having to wait for 10 turns (assuming a battle even lasts that long.) Granted, I've only done NPC battles, none of the PvP, so maybe swapping is more likely against an actual player.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:24 am

Death Grip will always swap the active creature out if there's another one alive on the enemy's side. It's meant to swap in the one with the lowest health, but I've found it a little unpredictable sometimes. IIRC it's a 3 turn cooldown.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to General