Remove Advertisements

[25N] The Stone Guard

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[25N] The Stone Guard

Postby Raive » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:06 am

Downed these guys last night (barely mind you, got stuck with only 2 tanks up for the last 15% or so).

Did 10 man last week and it's ridiculous how much more difficult tank management is in 25. Having the third tank and having to watch energy bars on 4 adds makes the tank swaps take a lot more time to get into the rhythm of. That being said, once we got a system that worked (me watching everything and calling who to switch what, as my other two tanks hadn't even looked up the fights :roll: ) It went relatively smoothly even if the other prot pally wouldnt run seal of insight no matter how many times I reminded him.

Was wondering if anyone else has done it on 25 and if the pools felt as... overwhelming as they did on our pulls. They were literally everywhere, wondering if its maybe the positioning we were using and we needed to spread out more or what.

My advice on the fight:
Have your dps sit on their hands for the first 5-10 seconds or so while tanks get their positioning down, proper positioning of the bosses is key to the fight and overzealous dps can lead to bosses that you don't want to have gaining energy being too close to one another.

Have the MT (the one who will be tanking two at once) call out the switches, both this week and last we attempted to have the offtanks manage it on their own and it lead to premature taunts/them taunting the bosses at the same time, etc. Do your first switches around 25-35 energy as it's better to have 3 inactive bosses with around 30 energy than 1 with 80 and one with none.

Stack up for chains until jasper becomes active and then break them (you can I suppose stay stacked indefinitely but it's best to break them so you don't take unnecessary damage if you run in opposite directions when a mine/pool spawn under you.

Pop mines when Cobalt is active, it frees up a lot of space that you'll need to maneuver around the puddles (try to have someone who can dispel them self pop them so they dont get stuck in a pool if it spawns under them)

Battle healer is great for helping with the constant raid damage going out (think by the end of the fight mine was around 7 million healing done with only a small amount of overhealing (seems to be intelligent in picking only damaged players to heal).

Hand of Purity is an amazing ability for this fight, take it and use it on CD, have your holy paladins do the same. There will always be a bleed on the tanks, on 25 man it does 66k dps (reduced by armor I'd imagine) so 70% reduced damage for 6 seconds at the cost of 1 GCD is a significant damage reduction.

Make a point of reminding your offtanks that their number one priority is reducing their damage taken, they'll be doing 90% reduced damage to their targets throughout the entire fight so they should be choosing mitigation/healing over damage/threat every as often as possible.

Edit: Forgot to add a link to our WoL from the fight http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-swoox1x0v1ukzz0t/
Raive

Re: [25N] The Stone Guard

Postby degre » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:11 am

For the pull give the DPS a single target to start with and stay on it, you wont have any issue.

What I do is assign the other 2 tanks to the lions on the left, one in the corner and one further away, I then take the 2 on right, mark with a skull the closer one and on pull I frisbee the far one and focus skull, it stays with me.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien
degre

Postby Donahu » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:59 am

I have to agree on the tank management part when comparing 10m to 25m on this one. Having tanked both now, the 25m coordination was a lot rougher but that made it all the more fun. Pools, everywhere. Ha. We ended up just doing a constant circle of the room with everyone following the "main tank" that was tanking two bosses at the time.

The pull was a bit rough for me a couple of times but after I just told them which to start with it worked fine. You can ask them to hold off on their cleave effects for a bit if you want.

We ended up going with one of the "off tanks" doing all the swap calls and switching as they don't have too much to focus on or worry about. He was also the raid leader with all the other major calls so it just made sense for him to monitor that as well.

We went with just letting the chains stay the whole duration of the fight. It pretty much turned into a giant herd of cattle chasing the two bosses that were on me by the end of the fight. We were worried about people trying to break their chains and being far apart when the explosion went off (aka the protection went away) and then they'd get blown up by their chains damage.

We had tanks pop mines as they crossed over them in their paths as the damage wasn't worth worrying about for us.

I really wish I had remembered to pick up Purity. It would've been amazing >.<.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r8ic ... 718&e=4150
Donahu

Postby Raive » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:49 am

degre wrote:For the pull give the DPS a single target to start with and stay on it, you wont have any issue.

What I do is assign the other 2 tanks to the lions on the left, one in the corner and one further away, I then take the 2 on right, mark with a skull the closer one and on pull I frisbee the far one and focus skull, it stays with me.

Yeah we tried that but still had problems on some pulls (though granted that was more due to confusion among the OTs than it was a dps issue) so we just opted to have them wait a little bit as the enrage timer seems fairly generous.

We had one tank pick up the far right add and one pick up the far left and pull them back, I picked up the two middle ones and tanked them in a triangle with the point (me) being right near where the statues start.
Raive

Postby Schroom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:10 am

Haven't done 10 man yet. but yeah the first night was a little tricky. but meanwhile we manage quite well. in fact no one except the tanks talks in vent, I watch the energy bars of all 4, everyone knows when he should be taunting. and I only call out if we don't taunt, as expectet, or change from clockwise to counterclockwise.

never have any lion except the active one exploding now.

most people die from the chains, because healers are healing and melees aren't paying attention, following the active lion and killing themselves and the healers
Schroom

Postby Schroom » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:11 am

Haven't done 10 man yet. but yeah the first night was a little tricky. but meanwhile we manage quite well. in fact no one except the tanks talks in vent, I watch the energy bars of all 4, everyone knows when he should be taunting. and I only call out if we don't taunt, as expectet, or change from clockwise to counterclockwise.

never have any lion except the active one exploding now.

most people die from the chains, because healers are healing and melees aren't paying attention, following the active lion and killing themselves and the healers
Schroom

Postby saif » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 am

Anyone else trying this on heroic? Got it sub 40% a few times last night but missed it due to a mis-taunt or too many people down. Should get it tonight.

We started out moving as per normal mode, but I think tonight we're going in a static triangle, positioning to minimize movement and just shuffle a little bit when pools get too much with hunters and paladins blowing up mines as they come out.

Any tips?
saif

Postby Kishandra » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:03 pm

This might sound like overkill, but it's immensely safer and more stable than other choices: use 4 tanks and 8 healers.

The 4 tanks move their mobs in a rectangle formation, and the tank with the channeling mob drags it to other low energy mobs while the 3 non-channeling tanks stay put.

Have 4-6 people on the floor tiles.

This strat sounds pretty awful for dps - and it is, don't get me wrong - but it's very stable and not prone to failure. We 4 shot heroic stone guard day 1/week 1 with this strat.
Kishandra

Postby saif » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Yeah, enrage doesn't seem like a factor at all as we had our Ferals running tiles and had 140+ up, I think. We were hitting 40% with 2+ minutes to go.

That sounds like it might be worth a shot if we can't get the current stat to work tonight. We talked about 4 tanks a few times last night but it seemed, as you said, overkill. We're going with 7 healers right now, and the only thing killing people seems to be bad chain and mine management.

Def. something to keep in mind, though. Thanks for the tip! :)
saif

Postby Jadhzia » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:28 pm

My guild just started raiding, so we're working on Stone guards in normal mode (10-man, but my question is equally valid for 10 and 25-man versions).

I'm trying to understand the Rend flesh dot. My healers told me that sometimes it ticked for less, I'd like to know why (I wasn't using Hand of purity). It must have been (at least partly) thanks to Sacred shield. Since it's a dot, blocking shouldn't have any effect on it. But it's a physical damage: is Rend flesh applied by a successful hit, which would make it dodgeable or parriable?

To make a long story short, it's a *physical* dot, I'm wondering if that can be exploited to reduce the damage.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Postby daishan » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:52 pm

With it been physical dmg whenever you have SotR buff active you'll take considerably less dmg from the dot ticks. Hand of purity is very nice on stone guards, I don't always remember to switch before the fight but it's by far the best lvl 60 talent for the fight IMO.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jadhzia » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:16 am

Thanks for the answer.
OK, so Sacred Shield, Shield of the Righteous and glyphed Divine Protection should work against that dot on a regular basis.
Jadhzia, Protection Paladin, EU-Sargeras
Jadhzia

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)