Remove Advertisements

Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Postby Fetzie » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:17 am

Both scale (indirectly) with your attack power.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby daishan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:41 am

Thx not quite what i was trying to ask, don't think I made a very good job of explaining myself :roll:
Was more trying to find out how much extra healing I'd get from re forging exp>haste down from hard cap to soft cap, and how much Battle Healer might off set total raid healing needed if I went for haste at the expense of mastery.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Not enough information to answer that question. 10- or 25-man? How much average Vengeance AP do tanks have on Elegon? How many in melee range, what sort of time-on-target, etc.? There's just too many variables to give you a precise answer yet.

I've updated everything through the Stat sim. That'll be coming in a few hours, along with the updated Weapon post.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby daishan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:44 pm

Ye sry, guess it is bit of a stretch wanting numbers without giving data.
I've not had chance to pull it yet so I'm not sure on Vengeance AP, we'll probably have myself and 4 others in melee range.
I'm just trying to get a feel for if haste will have a noticeable impact on SoI self healing and Battle Healer raid healing.
I'll try to take note of how much vengeance I get on the attempts we have on Sunday.
After reading your latest blog I think I'll be gearing for haste anyway regardless of it's effect on heals, as we have a couple of dps that are slacking atm so we need all we can get.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby aresius » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Due to the recent confirmation on the importance of hit/expertise, maybe its advisable to swap around some of the recomended gemming? I personaly see the Guardian Amethyst (exp/stam) as a much better gem then the Defender (parry/stam).
aresius

Postby theckhd » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:12 pm

There is no "recommended gemming."
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby gibborim » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:38 pm

It looks like they are trying to close the gap between mitigation gearing and avoidance gearing a bit. A hotfix is being added that gives you vengeance when a hit is avoided rather than just refreshing the timer.
gibborim

Postby Fetzie » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:05 am

That change is merely to give you some vengeance if you have an unlucky avoidance streak off the pull.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby theckhd » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:16 am

Yeah, that's mostly to smooth out Vengeance so that you can't get stuck at low (or high) values due to a string of avoids. It has exactly 0 impact on gearing mitigation versus avoidance.
theckhd

Postby Petrus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:44 am

What are your thoughts on Glyph of Final Wrath? I tried it out and under 20% health between the wrath spells (Holy Wrath and Hammer of Wrath), there's some ridiculous damage going out especially with high vengeance. I'm currently using Final Wrath, Glyph of Battle Healer, and I swap between Glyphs of Holy Wrath and Focused Shield depending on whether or not I'm doing single-target stuff (i.e. Feng, Gara'jal, Galleon) or multitarget (heroics, etc.). I'm thinking something like Stone Guards might be a good place to use Double Jeopardy if you can manage it. The only other good option that I see is Alabaster Shield and that feels mediocre by comparison.

Disclaimer: I haven't done much at all (some tries on Feng and Gara'jal with a friendly guild) in Mogu'shan Vaults so I'm not sure how viable this stuff is in there yet. We start raiding next week when we have enough 90s.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Gab » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:46 pm

For Elegon, because of the stacking debuff he receives through out the fight and higher vengeance than earlier phases Final Wrath seemed fantastic.

I think it's also pretty good on Will. Unless your dps is insane, or you two heal it, then most kills will probably happen during the 4th Titan Gas with 25% damage buff and higher than normal vengeance.

On fights where the mechanics are not helping to boost up the execute range portion of the fight it's not as effective as Alabaster Shield or Focused Shield. But can certainly help you get through those "soft enrage" types of fights.

Theck wrote:Focused Shield and Alabaster Shield are your two best DPS glyphs

Theck wrote:Final Wrath is probably our next-highest DPS glyph thanks to its significant benefit in Execute range.
Last edited by Gab on Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gab

Postby Petrus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:57 pm

Ahh I didn't realize he'd edited the initial posts yet - I couldn't get here for a few days, so I hadn't checked that.

Edit: I will still say this about the glyphs: Even if Alabaster Shield is mathematically a DPS increase, it still feels pretty crappy. It's passive, and I understand that, but I rarely-if-ever notice the DPS increase from it, and would rather use Final Wrath all the time and just prioritize that. Maybe I'll get used to it, though. I'll have to try using it some more in place of HoWrath when there's no elementals around to stun, going BH/FW/Alabaster Shield.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:04 am

At the risk of sounding like a total retard, how much more damage intake do we take with soft cap exp vis a vis hard cap?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:09 pm

Rough estimate: about 5% (relative, not absolute).
theckhd

Postby Durability » Sat Oct 20, 2012 2:41 pm

Re weapon choice: Picked up the Horseman's blade today, the use effect damage is negligible - they did a total of less than 4k damage on the boss dummy over their entire duration. That's damage, not dps.
Durability

PreviousNext

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations