[10N] Elegon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

Re: [10N] Elegon

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:02 am

Nice tip there to have army tank the adds after the 2nd pylon phase.
How often did you reset stacks in the last phase or did you just stack and burn while rotating cd's?
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Auracle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:11 am

Just a straight stack and burn. The AoE ticks for 17500 per second inside the buffzone, and 50k per second outside it, effectively 3x as hard. Since you cant reach a stack count that even close to equates that level of damage (~300%, 300/5 = 60 stacks) in that time frame anyway, we decided to just stay in and CD through it.

We were able to kill it with everyone alive, though it was dicey towards the end. Since the tanks weren't resetting stacks either, we simply had them taunt any time one of them had a fresh CD up.

Edit: I realize you could have folks step out and reset the buff by using a heavy raid CD for that ~ 1 - 3 second window it would take, we discussed that options but decided it wasnt worth the risk of having everyone moving around and putting melee out of range.
Auracle

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:16 am

Kk thx for the quick reply :)
I was leaning toward that just wanted to make sure as we only have time for a short raid tonight.
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Auracle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:18 am

Np, good luck!
Auracle

Postby Hespherus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:53 am

On our kill only tanks were resetting at like 8-9 stacks. Maybe not needed but it worked fine for us.
Hespherus

Postby Juugimus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:15 am

On the sparks, are you guys trying to maximize AoE while they are close together or is it more efficient to just have people prepared to single target?

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:55 am

Pylons are top prio for sure, we kite the Sparks until the boss is back up then aoe them down.
Try not to stand still and tank them as they hit like trucks when you have a few together, use any aoe slows you have on them and have ranged aoe them. If you have a dk Auracle's suggestion of using army to tank the 2nd lot of Sparks sounds like a very good idea.
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Hespherus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:19 am

Juugimus wrote:On the sparks, are you guys trying to maximize AoE while they are close together or is it more efficient to just have people prepared to single target?

We do try and get at least some aoe on them. I personally drop a consecration and then unglyphed avenger shield(which almost 1 shots the first wave entirely, on one side obv.), everyone can try and do some aoe, but in the end if you can manage to kill 3 waves with no cds up and then at least another 1 or 2 with some dps cds, you will be fine.

I guess it depends on your dps. I think we averaged 95k dps and killed it almost 1 minute before enrage. 2 healing that is.
Hespherus

Postby daishan » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 am

When Juugimus said Sparks I assumed he ment the adds that spawn during the pylon phase, if I got the wrong idea sry :p
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Juugimus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:00 am

I meant the energy charges. Sorry for not being more clear!

Your tip is also very helpful knowing how hard the adds in Phase 3 hits.

Pallies do it in the Light
Juugimus
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:14 am

We had everyone aggressively reset stacks during the burn phase, especially tanks. The increased outer AoE should only tick once when you tag up, if at all. It might be worthwhile to let the melee stay in though.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby stevos » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:27 pm

How much dps are you doing as tank?

I am not sure if its true or not, but a Monk tank on my server appears to be doing over 100k dps on this fight.
stevos

Postby Kishandra » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:40 pm

If it's a monk tank, make sure if you're checking on WoL that you ignore the "stagger" damage. Stagger is basically a monk ability that translates 20% of incoming damage into a dot that he places on himself.

Secondly, 100k isn't anything to be surprised at. On our kill, a tank was at 131k.
Kishandra

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:53 pm

Well, 25m DPS figures will be a lot higher than 10m due to Vengeance and additional Energy Charges. I pulled ~88k last night with Insight, which was just below most of our DPS.

For Tankadins on this fight, I highly recommend Symbiosis Wrath. It hits like a freight train, helps zap Charges without having to chase them, and lets you burn the boss a bit between them. I generally stood in the path, threw an initial AS, spammed Wrath until my add was in range, and whacked it for the KB before helping others. Holy Avenger will still net the highest burst so I use that on the last wave.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Auracle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:24 pm

Regarding cleave damage on the Orbs, I think efficacy varies heavily by class, but if you can then you absolutely should.

The faster an orb wave goes down, the sooner your DPS can get back on boss, the less trouble you'll have with the enrage timer.

Of course if you're running with obscene DPS this may not be as much of an issue as we found :P

Also, just an interesting tidbit: the Orbs appear to also receive the increased damage stack that Elegon does. I am not sure if 1) this is only per-phase for the orbs, or 2) If this is intended and actually functioning, or some kind of bug.

Even if it was helping, we were still having some difficulty on Orb wave 4. We found that using our Shaman's Stormlash totem helped to reduce RNG on killing that 4th wave. I also saw vids where a guild had some success using heroism around halfway through the 2nd orb phase.

Edit: On our kill (10man), our top DPS was the DK tank at 115k, with the rest of the DPS staggered from 98 down to ~88k (the pally tank).
Auracle

PreviousNext

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)